Trasnfered and finding it hard to make new friends (1 Viewer)

LazyBoy

HSC
Anyone else experience this? i transfered from sydney to maquarie cause its much closer to where i live. Sydney was always a very social place for me, i spent many a hour in manning having a beer with mates. Now when i go to club mac all i really do is go there, get my classes over with and leave. I think alot of it is lazyness on behalf (as my name suggests) but has anyone else experienced this?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah probably due to your laziness (no offence intended). I've found that if you want to make friends, its very easy to do so, if you don't then its also very easy not to :)

^___^
HSC
MQ is the easiest place to make friends
mainly due to the fact that it is a small campus, you see familiar faces all the time. so ppl won't go "wtfbbq" when you say "hi, i've seen you around a bit!"

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
... said:
MQ is the easiest place to make friends
mainly due to the fact that it is a small campus, you see familiar faces all the time. so ppl won't go "wtfbbq" when you say "hi, i've seen you around a bit!"
Omg that is sooo true!! Have to tell u a lil story of mine!

I was tired, it had been a very long day, my contacts were blurry and well i wasn't thinking right. Anywho I went pass this girl who i thought was someone else.. I was animatedly waving at her and going "HIII!!! how are you? have u done ur case study yet!?" and here we are having a lil chit chat... that we're old friends n all... n all but errr...

we've never spoken before ever! but the reason why we did look familar to each other was because i was in her tute for one week but then i changed classes....I think she realised in the end i thought she was someone else :s:( coz she kind of just left in a hurry... and i was just waving to her n going "I'll see you tommorow ok! :d" n she just had this face.. that was like :confused:

My friend sarah was next to me going " Anne No... lol" and im like what? n she goes Anne thats not Anthea!

:eek:

Point is... that lots ov pple are just heaps friendly! to the point where if you've just seen them around can be a basis of friendship... next time i see that girl im going to introduce myself properly and apologise. :wave:

If all else fails... just be content stalking us pple on BOS, do us all a favour and stalk iambored (no one knows who he/she is)

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
my gf knows an anthea as well
2nd yr?

lol not that has anything to do with anything
or this thread

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
heyyy, i know an anthea as well! 2nd year doing childhood education??

to LazyBoy:
it’s hard at 1st, but hangs in there. just make friend with the person you sits next to in tute and after tute go: hey, if you’re not doing anything, want to go for lunch?

if you have time, start hanging around the chillout room because there’s alots of familiar faces and bummy (especially on wed and thurs around 12) and the best thing about mac is one person will introduce you to another so everyone kinda knows one another.

CieL

HSC
SuGa BunI =D said:
heyyy, i know an anthea as well! 2nd year doing childhood education??
URGH me too!
Little asian with blonde streaks in her hair??

CieL

HSC
SuGa BunI =D said:
if you have time, start hanging around the chillout room because there’s alots of familiar faces
The chillout room people are really friendly..
Leo and Nick were basically the first people I met in there.. cos I was loner ><
Read Cosmo with Johnno last time..
Read some other mag with Hung, Anthea, Mary..

Oh and I watched some random white guy kick down the wall too.. I think he was trying to rebound off it.. Actually he was weird.. He chucked someone's shoe up at a moving metal ceiling fan.. that was dangerous.. bits of leather just flew off..

And if you're into some sort of dance.. like breaking or whatever you call it, you'd fit in straight away me thinks

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
CieL said:
The chillout room people are really friendly..
Leo and Nick were basically the first people I met in there.. cos I was loner ><
Read Cosmo with Johnno last time..
Read some other mag with Hung, Anthea, Mary..

Oh and I watched some random white guy kick down the wall too.. I think he was trying to rebound off it.. Actually he was weird.. He chucked someone's shoe up at a moving metal ceiling fan.. that was dangerous.. bits of leather just flew off..

And if you're into some sort of dance.. like breaking or whatever you call it, you'd fit in straight away me thinks

WAIT!! you know leo too?? leo's my sick bitch lols
i meet hung randomly through mary and his a ching with a viet name :D
do you know dan, garry, sherman and stuff as well??

CieL

HSC
SuGa BunI =D said:
WAIT!! you know leo too?? leo's my sick bitch lols
i meet hung randomly through mary and his a ching with a viet name :D
do you know dan, garry, sherman and stuff as well??
Well.. I've only really talked to Leo.. um, once? He told me to study on a beanbag instead of being alone 10m away ><
What is your name anyway??
Sherman sounds familiar.. but I'm not picking a face up.. others have no clue..
I met Hung last year because he's pretty much my bf's neighbour and best mate

ReaveR

HSC
Jono likes Cosmo, he tried to steal a copy from the high school library in like, year ten or something. Ask him about it next time you see him.

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
sherman is the dude with glasses that doesn’t know how to break, aka the sherminator :p
i know jono by face cos we see each other numerous of time but we don’t talk, he have a really cute friend name george ;)
im gwen btw, short brown mullet with blonde fringe

ReaveR: really?? haha

ReaveR

HSC
Yes, really ;p
I remember now, it was year 11. He put it under his jumper and tried to walk out.. didn't work.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
woah, so many connections

lazyboy, i think you can see the network. it can get like that once you meet a few people - you'll meet their friends and find out they know your friends from sydney etc.. So the first thing you have to do is go out of your way to talk to a couple of people, invite them to spend breaks with you and you'll start to find it easier to meet people.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
LazyBoy said:
Anyone else experience this? i transfered from sydney to maquarie cause its much closer to where i live. Sydney was always a very social place for me, i spent many a hour in manning having a beer with mates. Now when i go to club mac all i really do is go there, get my classes over with and leave. I think alot of it is lazyness on behalf (as my name suggests) but has anyone else experienced this?
Are you doing first year subjects? if not, that is probably why it is harder to make new friends- by second year most new friendships are formed because of familiarity- the getting to know you thing in tuts and lectures is probably mainly in first year (i did, however, meet Steve and Ivy second year, though it may have been made easier because we knew each other from BOS before that).

You should join a few clubs to get to know people, or propose a study session on webct with one of your units (very easy to form a group that way). Study groups are nerd-a-rific!!! :p

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
lol
if thats the case
then i've probably seen u ciel or shuga sometime in the chillout room
=p

X

xeuyrawp

Friends was a huge issue for me until around this time last year, as well.

Have you tried joining any clubs?

The most important thing (I can't stress this enough) is to speak to people in your tutes and lectures. You need to force yourself to say hello to people, and I mean force.

What subjects are you doing?

Did you go to the orientation?

Really, I have no advice other than speaking to people in your class as well as joining a few clubs.

Depending on what subjects you do, you might find that I occasionally go to lectures. I love visiting old memories :D

LazyBoy

HSC
im well aware of what i have to do to make friends. im not socially retarted. Mostly its due to my lazyness. Yeah i am doing second year subjects, and what im more commenting on is how things are different in a) transfering b) being in second year.

as to what you guys are talking about the six degrees of separation is always a factor a uni. i knew ppl who knew ppl who knew ppl who knew ppl who didnt even go to uni who im friends with. Its just gonna happen with a few thousand ppl from your own cohort.

oh another thing, somehow forming a 'studygroup' aint my style for making friends. lol. maybe a drinking group :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)