Travel Ticket (1 Viewer)

dafidav

HSC
isnt there a pass which will allow you to travel on train and pass unlimited time for a week?

or do u have to buy a travelpass for train and travelten for bus?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Just to clear up the confusion about TravelPasses, they basically originate from the Sydney CBD. So for train travel, you can get on and off at any station which is between the Sydney CBD and up to and including the station that the TravelPass is bounded by. So using the Yellow TravelPass as an example, you could go from say Parramatta to Strathfield and get off there, you could go from Burwood to Town Hall and get off there, or you could go from Chatswood to North Sydney and get off there. So basically, any station that is between the boundaries on your TravelPass are the ones you can get on/off at. The colours are ranked in order, so using a Yellow TravelPass basically superseeds the Red one in that you can travel in all the stations bounded by yellow as well as red. The map is a bit confusing in that sense, so I hope this makes sense. So in other words, a Purple TravelPass superseeds all the other colours in that you can get on/off at any of the other colours (excluding the Airport line stations). Hope that makes sense now!

On a general note, most weekly train tickets are pretty much worth 3.5 return train trips (at student concession prices). So if you are travelling 3.5 or more days then you should get one. Even if you are going 3 days and just don't want to have to buy a ticket each day, then paying $2 extra (or so) for that convinience is alright.

You can't use a TravelPass on a private bus. They are only valid for the STA government buses (the blue ones) in the Sydney CBD and surrounding areas (depending on which TravelPass you have).

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
To just summerise this thread (kind of like jasee did).

There are 3 options for buying tickets
- Seperate bus and train tickets
- TravelTen for bus and separate train tickets
- TravelPass for train AND bus (and ferry, but NOT private bus)

Option 1 is silly.

Option 2 is good for those only going a few days. Note that TravelTen's NEVER expire, so you can keep them all year if you need to. Option 2 requires you to get either a BLUE or BROWN TravelTen from a newsagency (a good place is at CENTRAL STATION or UNSW). It is better to buy the BROWN in terms of cost, but the BLUE will let you take shorter journies to other locations.

Option 3 is best for those there for 4/5 days. It will let you travel within the zone your station is in and all the zones closer to the city. You can get on and off as much as you like. You can also use this pass on the bus to uni, as well as other buses in Sydney (but NOT private buses).

dafidav

HSC
ok thanx for that

so a travelpass allows for unlimited travel on train and bus within the zones

and how much does travelpass cost and where can it be purchased?

how much is the yellow, red and purple one?

ok just had a look at the map on the cityrail site and bankstown is on the green line but central is on the red line

so which colour do i buy?

Last edited:

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Private bus concession forms are available from UNSW Student Q.

sunny

meh.
HSC
dafidav said:
and how much does travelpass cost and where can it be purchased?
Train stations. They're on the ticket vending machines

dafidav said:
how much is the yellow, red and purple one?
http://www.cityrail.info/fares/travelpass.jsp

dafidav said:
ok just had a look at the map on the cityrail site and bankstown is on the green line but central is on the red line
so which colour do i buy?
Please read previous descriptions of the Travelpass.

specialjenny said:
Is Westbus a private bus?
Yes it is.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Regarding Travelpasses:

Think of it this way

If you get a Red, you can only use it in the Red area

If you get a Green, you can use it in the Green AND Red area

If you get a Yellow, you can use it in the Yellow, Green AND Red area

and so on..

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Thanks Minai. That's what I was trying to get across as well! So to the person going to/from Bankstown, you need the Green one!

sunny

meh.
HSC
persephone said:
which travelten would i have to use from central to unsw?
With blue you would have to dip twice (blue only goes two sections).

Get a brown and dip only once for each trip (brown goes up to 5 sections).

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
sunny said:
With blue you would have to dip twice (blue only goes two sections).

Get a brown and dip only once for each trip (brown goes up to 5 sections).
As stated before, brown ends up being more cost effective.

click here

to see my profile
HSC
do you have to insert the travelpass into the box in the bus everytime? because since it's unlimited what is the point?

sunny

meh.
HSC
click here said:
do you have to insert the travelpass into the box in the bus everytime? because since it's unlimited what is the point?
I would imagine its because Sydney Buses actually needs to know how many Travelpasses are actually being used so they can claim the money back from what is earned from selling Travelpasses (mostly through CityRail instead I would think).

Vortex

!
HSC
Has anyone used the ticket vending machine to 'top-up' their travelpasses?
Does that involve paying the full amount for a new travelpass or is the amount you pay proportional to when your travelpass expires (i.e. if you have 3 days left, you only pay (4/7)th of the price or something like that?)

sunny

meh.
HSC
It costs the same, and it adds an extra 7 days to the expiry date.

m123

HSC
hey, umm rite now we can stil use our conccession card from high skool. but later on we use our student card rite? n is that for concession prices? or wat

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
m123 said:
hey, umm rite now we can stil use our conccession card from high skool. but later on we use our student card rite? n is that for concession prices? or wat
The high school one is for a child concession while the uni ones is for a student concession. Im not sure if theres a difference in prices though :confused: Last time i bought a ticket using the school one (during school hours) they guy told me not to use it anymore since i dont go to school anymore.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Until the school concession expires theres no reason why you can't use it. Otherwise, yes you use your UNSW student card, which should have the concession stamp for CityRail and Sydney Buses stamped on it (provided you filled in one of those green concession forms when you got your student card)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)