Traveling at the speed of light! (1 Viewer)

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Anything that orbits something is changing its velocity, so yeah earth is under constant acceleration due to the force of gravity (sun).

SlaminSammy

HSC
physician said:
ok, I hoped this disussion would continue..hehe, i guess i made it a little boring with my last post

Let me get this straight, so u guys, believe that if something is traveling faster than the speed of light, it will not be visible to the human eye!..correct?

As some of u have said that if something were to be traveling with a velocity of 3*108.. we would be able to see it the same way we're able to see light!....

Im still not too sure about this last point, anyone want to enlighten me!

I was listening to a man speak about objects that get pulled into black holes. He stated that an object in this situation could indeed pass the speed of light! SOOO traveling faster than the speed of light would definately be possible. However as it approached the event horizon, time would dialate to an extent that it stoped. The object relative to a stationary body (lets say we're on earth) would appear to just sit in its position in space where it precisely reached the speed of light and it would never move relative to us on earth.... MEANWHILE it has accelerated past the speed of light and been crushed into oblivion or what ever... energy or what not--- clearly i didnt do my own reseach on the matter.

so.... by this theory yes you would see the object... but never in the same way as light....

Raginsheep

HSC
The physical laws we have currently completely break down when talking about stuff in the region of black holes. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Halfasian89

The Elite
HSC
My Opinion

Regardless to black holes, i would say that relatively speaking, the earth feels less acceleration than a spacecraft travelling close to the speed of light would. But the Earth does experience acceleration due to its rotation and revolution around the sun (ignoring accelerations within the solar system and beyond), for acceleration is measured as a vector quantity, that is, as a magnitude and direction. Earth revolves around the sun so it is indeed changing acceleration in that respect, and because the Earth (as with any orbit) is to a degree, eliptical, it has a variable radius, and in regard to the equation of orbital velocity [v= sqr root(Gm/r)], velocity of the earth (magnitude) also changes. But do we humans feel this acceleration (F=ma) on Earth? Hardly, because these accelerations over time are very minute on our scale, and that is why we regard earth as an inertial frame of reference. On the contrary, the spacecraft experiences accelerations before reaching great velocity, and on arrival to earth, must experience decceleration, and during these times it is regarded as a non-inertial frame of reference (where net force is not equal to zero).

On the twin paradox then, the twin in the spacecraft would be much younger than the twin on earth because it has experienced accelerations (and thus force) within his/her frame of reference, keeping in mind that the twin on earth feels next-to-nothing force in comparision. The twin on the spacecraft experiences time dilation as s/he experiences force, and to him/her, the time of his/her trip in space would be shorter than what the earth twin believes, and as such, the spacecraft twin will age more slowly.

On the speed of light, I personally don't believe that we can achieve speeds equal and beyond c (note that) because light in a vaccum is constant in any frame of reference, but when light travels through a medium (such as water) i say you could travel faster, but that wouldn't really achieve anything. I'm thinking that in between the collisions that take place when light travels through a medium, light travels at c, but the reason why it appears to be slow is that its path is not straight, and thus it must travel longer distances to reach the same point to light in a vaccum. The speed limit in the universe is 299 792 458 m/s. I do believe in the whole warp hole thing (part of string theory).

Einstien's postulate of a train travelling at the speed of light demonstrates that he would see his reflection in the mirror, and also that light behaves the same way in any frame of reference.

The example regarding black holes does make sense, but that only occurs in such an instance, where relativity and quantum physics meet (lots of conflicts). Relativity deals with objects of large masses, whereas quantum physics deals with very small objects. In a black hole you have both, so things become very dirty, and im sure that scientists haven't resolved that problem.

The ceasium gas thing, i have no idea.

Opinions?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
can't be bothered readin 3 pages .. so yeh.

when u travel at the speed of light, u 'supposedly' convert into energy.
the onli things that would slow down would be the things in the frame of reference of the person travelling at the speed of light.

it's not really time travel per se' ; but time just "slows" down. so reviewing the past would be impossible, as (explained in time machine) when u go back into time, u weren't created and neither was the actual time machine, so u supposedly don't exist.

u'll only be able to "travel" into the future ...

zeropoint

HSC
icycloud said:
You need General Relativity to show that the twin travelling on the space ship would be younger, because if a frame of reference is accelerating, the laws of Special Relativity don't hold true.
Not at all. Special relativity is perfectly adequate for dealing with dynamics as long as there is no space-time curvature, ie gravity.

Laids

HSC
ok heres something else to think about in regards to time dilation.

Say in the scenario with the two twins, one on earth and one on a space ship travelling at teh speed of light. Say that their were two atomic clocks, onee on Earth and one on the spaceship with video cameras recording them and sending the signal to the other location. Both twins can see the clock that is their with them, and the clock that is with their twin. They should both appear to be ticking at the same time, so does this mean that time dilation will not happen?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Consider the time it takes to transmit the signal from the spaceship back to earth and vice versa. The clocks won't be ticking at the same time because of the time dilation

zeropoint

HSC
In the frame of the Earth, the Earth clock always shows more time than the spaceship clock, because of the time dilation of the spaceship with respect to the Earth. The time delay due to the finite speed of light simply enhances the effect, making the spaceship clock appear slower than it actually is.

zeropoint

HSC
Laids said:
ok heres something else to think about in regards to time dilation.

Say in the scenario with the two twins, one on earth and one on a space ship travelling at teh speed of light. Say that their were two atomic clocks, onee on Earth and one on the spaceship with video cameras recording them and sending the signal to the other location. Both twins can see the clock that is their with them, and the clock that is with their twin. They should both appear to be ticking at the same time, so does this mean that time dilation will not happen?
By the way, the spaceship is always assumed to be traveling less than the speed of light. Time dilation isn't even defined for speeds exceeding, or even equal to c.

oh-em-gee

HSC
Well, we can see light, which travels at the speed of light.

So, I suppose, the answer is yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)