Treatment of POWs (1 Viewer)

jk

White tiger
Originally posted by OZGIRL86
I was just expressing my opinions , is that a crime???
shame on u...
i didnt say 'shame on u' becauz of u expressing ur opinion

i said that becauz of u offending others

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
once again,
I don't understand why everyone is making a huge deal about the recent events with the iraqis..
when the americans were burnt killed and dragged along the dirt roads over in iraq, a huge issue wasn't made over that incident for days and days , but because something happened to the iraqis its such a so called big deal and huge OUTRAGE....

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Suney_J
so what?..... its a war crime, and dont think its just 25, i think its way more[/i][/QUOTE

well its not the only war crime that has happened so get over it.....

Originally posted by Suney_J
not as much as iraqis[/i][/B][/QUOTE

I highly doubt that

yes ur right, and under the Geneva Convention a prisoner still has rights but they treated worse than dogs.
[/B][/QUOTE

so I'm taking it u were there?
dont bring animals into this....

even the ppl that were taken hostage by the iraqis were treated better.
[/B][/QUOTE

so once again u were a witness..or personally received your information from a primary source...

well obviously ur not normal, cuz every1 (including the americans)has criticised what these soldiers have done, and for you to stand up for them shows your abnormality .
[/B][/QUOTE

ur not normal...... everyone? so you have personally surveyed every single person and asked there opinions on this event?

iraq was one of the first civilisations on the planet ] .
[/B][/QUOTE

well its been a long time then and they still have not figured out how to act in a civilised manner...

astro

HSC
hmm so 25 iraqis.. wow.. so what??
look at how many amercians have died over there...
Do u expect americans to give iraquis 5 star treatment?? a prisoner is a prisoner...
anyway those iraqis are just plain crazy they just fight eachother, wrek their already wrecked up country and explode themselves.. do u call that normal?
If it wasn't for the US Sadam would still be there... remember how the iraqis were happy when sadam was first gone? and now they hate the americans... the US did iraq a favour...

"25 ppl so what?"......from what you have just said it implies you are a hearless and selfish person......25 iraqs?....those 25 iraqis have families....they have brothers, sisters, mothers, father, girlfriends, best friends etc.... this is prob a cliched question but how would you if you were to face the same sort of degradation, torture and death? Moreover, even though the pentagon admits 25 prisoners have died, there are in all possibility many more, including those who are still in Abu Ghraib....

I don't expect americans to treat the iraqis like they are guest but they should at least follow the rules of the geneva convention and human rights....even though the iraqis are prisoners what they are going through is inhumane....the yanks are a good example of hypocrisy....they branded the japanese treatment of POWs as barbaric...look at what they are doing now....

What kind of favour are the US to Iraqis by killing them? Besides after the supposed handover, the US are likely to install a puppet govt in iraq exploiting the nation of all their potential wealth....
iraq was civilised way before the convicts of the first fleet arrived...
remembering from somewhere else, i think you used to go to my school....a teacher there have vaguely similar opinions to you....if she was trying to be impartial it wasn't working

according to an interview on The Lehrer Hour published in the SMH: "Those detainees are civilians. Over 60 percent of people in Abu Ghraib were just swept up in random roadside checks."
These events are going to fuel the hatred of the iraqi people at americans...
btw....that woman whose face is splattered on the newspapers as being one of the perpetrators actually said that she was at the wrong place at the wrong time...yeah whateva

*finish rant*

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Look at how many americans died over there ?

Hold on, what the hell are they doing there in the first place ? what role, purpose or right did they have ?

With each passing day they stay there the more they will ultimately be seen as a conqueror.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Ok, OZGIRL, if I happen to think that you are uncivilised, does that make it ok for me to degrade you physically, mentally, and sexually.... just because someone in your side of civilisation killed someone on my side of civilisation?

If I killed "just 25" members of your extended family, how would you feel? Its not just a number.

Oh no, they are rebelling. If they hadn't have been invaded by the worlds superpower, I would find that abnormal... as it is, I think they are highly justified, since they have no government to make a protest in the normal "democratic" way.
The Americans are doing them a favour. Giving them a democracy which is totally at odds with their culture and their way of life. Big favour.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
The problem is not the treatment, or the Iraqis, or even the US, it's the media.

The media controls the public by what they show and what they say. The media shows the American soldiers being mistreated and nobody cares so the story disappears.

The media shows the Iraqis being tortured, there is a response, so they hype up the story and sensationalise it as much as possible.

Definetly do not trust the media for accuracy, reliability and honesty. The Americans are most likely out of line, but so too have been some of the Iraqi resistance fighters.

The American's are not so unjustified in their attack against iraq. the media forgot, rather conveniently, to mention UN resolution 687, created after the first Gulf War. Resolution 687 prohibitied Iraq from having anything to do with weapons of mass destructions. The US claimed they breached it.
The UN created resolution 1441 in response to the US claims that resolution 1441 had been violated. This was why the weapon's inspector's were sent in. They found nothing, as we all know.

However, despite that, there was still a case for the war, under what was set out in resolution 687. Now we come for the US failing. Though there still existed a case for military intervention (albeit a minute technicality), the UN determined that all peaceful and diplomatic possibilities hadn't been exhausted. The US went anyway.
Now that we have that cleared up, let's move on

The one thing I feel the media could do, and hasn't done, is interviewed random people on the street. And they won't because it won't make a good story if the average Iraqi doesn't say what the media wants to hear.

but there it is, the true measure of whether the US is wanted. It should be determined by the normal iraqi civilians, not the die hard Hussein lovers, or terrorists, but the opinion of the everday citizen who has to try and live in the country.
That is the one way to see whether the yanks are wanted.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
well its not the only war crime that has happened so get over it....
ur right again!, Donald Rumsfeld has said more pictures of abuse by soldiers will come out

so I'm taking it u werethere?
u cant be serious....im talkin about the photos, so i didnt have to be there to know they were being abused

I highly doubt that
well its true, just over 700 americans have died, while the minimum of iraqi civilian deaths is 9000. im not saying the numbers are accurate, but the huge gap in between indicates that more iraqi civilians have died

so once again u were a witness..or personally received your information from a primary source...
Originally posted by Asquithian
It is on record that the Australian lady that was kidnapped noted that her kaptors were quite reasonable. However I doubt that this is the case in all situtations.
and also the truckie that escaped recently was found in good health, he even said he was given some treatment for his arm. i also doubt that all hostage situations are like that. But it did come from their mouths, so i would call that a primary source

ur not normal...... everyone? so you have personally surveyed every single person and asked there opinions on this event?
once again,
I don't understand why everyone is making a huge deal about the recent events with the iraqis..
umm... yeah everyone!

well its been a long time then and they still have not figured out how to act in a civilised manner...
maybe u should go over there and teach them. tell them its ok to act in the same way as those soldiers

Seriously, are you really standing up for these soldiers, are you really saying what they did isnt wrong

KarmaKitten

HSC
Its people like OZgirl that allow these certains acts to happen. The world is filled with stupid people.

The fact that you can excuse any acts of hatred and violence only emphasises your stupidity and lack of compassion.
Nothing excuses what the American soldiers did.

They should do what they did at Nuremberg and start executing people who commit war crimes. International law is way to lenient. Especially when it concerns Americans

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by KarmaKitten
Its people like OZgirl that allow these certains acts to happen. The world is filled with stupid people.

The fact that you can excuse any acts of hatred and violence only emphasises your stupidity and lack of compassion.

They should do what they did at Nuremberg and start executing people who commit war crimes. International law is way to lenient. Especially when it concerns Americans
1) But that is just pure retribution is it not? That takes you to the level of the people who actually commit the war crimes does it not? ........I'm just posing questions :p

2) International law is not leneint at all, thats a gross understatement. To me, international law is only cosmetic, and is only effective against smaller, less powerful countries. :)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
That photo on the front of the Herald today was just not needed. I think it's good that someone is trying to expose the wrongs of the military, but somethings don't need to be seen by the public.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by KarmaKitten

People like me?? people like me??
due to my opinions on this topic, it gives you no right to say that what I state ephasises my stupidity and lack of compassion..FIRST OF ALL I AM NOT STUPID, and I am compassionate about issues, but it dosn't mean that I have to be compassionate about single every issue or thing and agree to everything what everyone else says...
international law is way too leniant? take a look at our laws thats what I call way too leniant...

what if the americnas were the people in the photos... I wonder if such a big deal would have been made????
I don't think so....

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by astro
"25 ppl so what?"......from what you have just said it implies you are a hearless and selfish person......25 iraqs?....those 25 iraqis have families....they have brothers, sisters, mothers, father, girlfriends, best friends etc.... this is prob a cliched question but how would you if you were to face the same sort of degradation, torture and death? Moreover, even though the pentagon admits 25 prisoners have died, there are in all possibility many more, including those who are still in Abu Ghraib....

I don't expect americans to treat the iraqis like they are guest but they should at least follow the rules of the geneva convention and human rights....even though the iraqis are prisoners what they are going through is inhumane....the yanks are a good example of hypocrisy....they branded the japanese treatment of POWs as barbaric...look at what they are doing now....

What kind of favour are the US to Iraqis by killing them? Besides after the supposed handover, the US are likely to install a puppet govt in iraq exploiting the nation of all their potential wealth....
iraq was civilised way before the convicts of the first fleet arrived...
remembering from somewhere else, i think you used to go to my school....a teacher there have vaguely similar opinions to you....if she was trying to be impartial it wasn't working

according to an interview on The Lehrer Hour published in the SMH: "Those detainees are civilians. Over 60 percent of people in Abu Ghraib were just swept up in random roadside checks."
These events are going to fuel the hatred of the iraqi people at americans...
btw....that woman whose face is splattered on the newspapers as being one of the perpetrators actually said that she was at the wrong place at the wrong time...yeah whateva

*finish rant*
I don't know if i went to ur school or not, but what was the teachers name?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
for sure. are you even familar with jessica lynch? she's treated as a hero for being a PoW, when even she admits she's probably not

Generator

HSC
N/A
Meanwhile thousands live below the poverty line... In our own 'glorious harbour city'. It's fan-bloody-tastic.

I can see the point behind her '25, so what' claim. Sadly, nothing in life is as simple as so many people seem to believe.

The idea that there are standards that must be upheld, no matter the past actions of the 'enemy' (calling a soldier a terrorist removes any real need to follow the conventions concerning pows, or so it seems for the US, at least), is beyond question, though. Additionally, no one life is worth more than another, no matter the circumstances of the individual (utopian, I guess).

BUT

Asylum's post was just as bad as ozgirl86's (americans died in whatever way, but they weren't meant to be there, so it's their own fault), yet nobody has bothered to pass judgement on his views.

tarini

HSC
Well, the Americans shouldn't really be in Iraq in the first place and George W Bush had no idea what would happen and now they really just want to get out of there. Even before 9/11 he was intent on invading Iraq and capturing Saddam Hussain because of his daddy..
Anyway- these pictures just show how the American Government has been so bloody self-righteous-painting everything in simplistic moral absolutes- this will be the turning point in the so-called War on Terror.. it will do more for terrorism really- now Osama Bin Laden can use this easily- manipulate it for his own interests- recruiting many more desperate young men who are angry because their family members are dead or because they are unemployed. The Americans as the 'infidels' or whatever- it is really easy now with these barbaric pics. Why this deep-seated hatred among the Iraqis for Uncle Sam? Well, at least a few million Iraqi children died of malnutrition because of US sanctions in the 1990s and the country is not exactly doing much better than under Saddam...religious factions everywhere and major chaos but everyone is united against the Americans because they want them out of the country.

What I find worst about these pics is that the US govt sat on them for a few months before it was leaked to the media- is this a transparent democracy- atrocities are common in war and on both sides- but in the US all one gets is a very one-sided depiction, especially on the jingoistic openly biased Fox News, which Bush proudly proclaims as the only news he watches.. so yeah the Americans get a very distorted picture of the world and now cracks are starting to appear with the release of these horrific pictures- lets hope that Bush loses the elections

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
At least the americans don't decappitate their pows...

rumour

HSC
Originally posted by Josie
Do we kill murderers?
Well the americians do!!!!

I think Australia should get out of there!
First of all, many people were protesting against it, even before the war began.
Did they find weapons of mass destruction?
Now they are torturing POWs!
who may be innocent after all!

I'm sure Bin Laden is making a tape as we speak, calling iraqis to fight the U.S.!-this time more will listen!!

This was an unjustified war from the start!!!
I mean what good is it to get rid of a tyrant like suddam, when we do the same thing to people who oppose us??

Do you think the iraqis will only kill the US soldiers and not the Australians??
They should come home!!
The whole war is an embarrassment!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)