TRIAL - catholic paper (1 Viewer)

oheaveno

HSC
juss wondering how many pplz used da catholic trial paper? i juss did da trial paper one 2day.. nearly ran out of tym.. da questions r pretty hard.. i believe paper 2 is gonna be harder still.
any comments?
post ur mark here later so we can compare how pplz r going

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Not more than 2 hours. It was 2 hours.

kaito

HSC
yea...it was quite long....but i guess it wasnt hard.......jst the time........nearly killed my hand...90mins of none stop writin......

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
My friend used CSSA trial paper and she spent like 50 mins in the Q2 which resulted in lossing 7 marks in the Q1, as she ran out of time for the last question! :cool:
Our skool don't use catholic paper tho...

MarsBarz

HSC
I found it excruciatingly hard compared to past ESL HSC examinations. Timewise especially.
Completely ran short on time, I did not manage to start the last question from section 1 (that's 7 marks gone). My essay was barely 4 pages and I did not have time for a conclusion. Because I was so rushed for time my answers weren't sophisticated enough (I did the essay first). :/ Quite annoyed really.

I've got paper 2 on wednesday, but I have absolutly no idea what I must study for. My teacher has not prepared us sufficiently.

Last edited:

kaito

HSC
how did every1 go in paper 2 2day?
i found it quite difficult to fit the content of my essay into the interview but i ges i did alrite....
btw those of u who ran out of time for paper 1, how long were your essays? and how long did u spend on readin the materials?
my essay was onli 4 pages which i think is quite short...but i did manage with the time

huhq1

huhq1
HSC
yep you right!! however, the paper is much better than paper 1~paper is just the paper to the heal !wtever we 'd better foucus on the time limitation in the further study

oheaveno

HSC
ouuu

Paper one was harder den paper two i reckon.. becoz paper one u gotta write dis essay.. dealing wif 4 texts, den section 1 u haf those bloody long stuff 2 read n juss answering sum 1 or 2 marks questions.. absolutely stupid
i did da essay 1st too, coz i kinda prepared 4 de essay.. n mai teachers keep stressing us 2 do it 1st

paper two.. not much better but a lil bit better den paper one. half an hour n dey expected us 2 write an interview wif 5-8 questions.. arghhh

listening wasnt too bad

fink i stuffed it up.. :( umm good luck pplz for da rest of da trials..

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
oheaveno said:
juss wondering how many pplz used da catholic trial paper? i juss did da trial paper one 2day.. nearly ran out of tym.. da questions r pretty hard.. i believe paper 2 is gonna be harder still.
any comments?
post ur mark here later so we can compare how pplz r going
If you write like that you'll get crap marks.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Don't worry if you didn't do too well in the Trials. Now you know how important time management is, you will have to work on it before the actual HSC exam. It is one thing to know everything about your texts, it is another to be able to communicate it well within the limited time you have. Keep going everyone! The end is in sight, well almost.

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
@Survivor39

Survivor39 said:
Don't worry if you didn't do too well in the Trials. Now you know how important time management is, you will have to work on it before the actual HSC exam. It is one thing to know everything about your texts, it is another to be able to communicate it well within the limited time you have. Keep going everyone! The end is in sight, well almost.
I've read your speech on Module B, that was brilliant! :) I am doing english for study too, and what are the possible text types that would come up in the exam?
and how would you conduct a report on study techniques?

Tingaling

HSC
the cath. trial was long, as for the limited time that was given..><"
but i made sure i concluded everything in time.. just...

*sigh*

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Sirius Black said:
I've read your speech on Module B, that was brilliant! :) I am doing english for study too, and what are the possible text types that would come up in the exam?
and how would you conduct a report on study techniques?
Thanks
The possible text types are:
Letter/Application to something
Interview transcript
Speech
Pamphlet

For a report, they will probably ask you to write the Preface of the report or a booklet. This is because they cannot expect you to give a detailed information report or booklet within 30 min. You are likely to have to provide a strong argument as to why the responders should read your report/booklet, a brief summary of the content and its significant to the English for Study, and a conclusion.

Generally give 3 or 4 strong points about studying techniques and explain their significance (one for each paragraph), including time management, motivation etc (get some more ideas from my speech).

Don't just focus on studying techniques. In my year, the examiners asked us to write a letter of application for a university scholarship, which is completely different from what we've learned in class for a whole term. For this Module, know your text types well :)

Last edited:

oheaveno

HSC
mark

i got 89% in the catholic trials
is that gonna get scaled up? i heard that you only get scaled up if you get over 90 in ESL

oheaveno

HSC
thx sirius black :)
but wen i put mai mark in2 da SAM fingy.. it get scaled down unless u haf a mark of say 92.. is dat fing accurate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)