Trials Are over.. (1 Viewer)

mR sinister

HSC
Hey guys the trials are over..
I just want to know is it more important to get a decent mark in your subjects
or a high rank.

i know Rank really matters alot, but will it still be the same
if let's say you only get 51% in a subject, the test was extremely hard but your top 3.
Just need help on the ranks/marks contribution towards an ATAR

absorber

HSC
It's your marks that the school sends in. But really, what matters are three things:
1) Your rank
2) the marks between your ranks and those of others
3) School rank
If everyone fails a test but you get first, don't worry; you'd still be in an advantageous position relative to your grade, and your hsc would benefit from this. A similar thing applies to your example.

lychnobity

HSC
Rank > marks

But to get a good rank, you'll need good marks.

Go figure.

Top Secret

HSC
Hey guys the trials are over..
I just want to know is it more important to get a decent mark in your subjects
or a high rank.

i know Rank really matters alot, but will it still be the same
if let's say you only get 51% in a subject, the test was extremely hard but your top 3.
Just need help on the ranks/marks contribution towards an ATAR
Marks alone have no contribution to the ATAR. What matters is your cohort's performance, your rank, and the relative gaps between you and others.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It's your marks that the school sends in. But really, what matters are three things:
1) Your rank
2) the marks between your ranks and those of others
3) School rank
If everyone fails a test but you get first, don't worry; you'd still be in an advantageous position relative to your grade, and your hsc would benefit from this. A similar thing applies to your example.
Just a note that school rank is determined AFTER the HSC is completed and all marks are awarded not before. It is actually determined by the results of the cohort not the other way round. So a school rank that is out there is last year's (or earlier) based on the results of last year's cohort and it will be redone this year based on this year's cohort. Schools ranks change every year and some more than others.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Just a note that school rank is determined AFTER the HSC is completed and all marks are awarded not before. It is actually determined by the results of the cohort not the other way round. So a school rank that is out there is last year's (or earlier) based on the results of last year's cohort and it will be redone this year based on this year's cohort. Schools ranks change every year and some more than others.
The results of the overall grade or the respective subject? I know for a fact that my Chemistry class is far more "academically able" than say, Standard English. So if Standard English don't do well, does that mean the overall cohort is affected negatively?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The results of the overall grade or the respective subject? I know for a fact that my Chemistry class is far more "academically able" than say, Standard English. So if Standard English don't do well, does that mean the overall cohort is affected negatively?

No.

After all the results for the entire state have been calculated the results are sent to a range of people who use those results to rank schools.

The ranking of the school is based only on the total results of your cohort and will in no way affect your results.

Your results, as a cohort covering all subjects, will determine your school's results for 2009 not the other way round.

You school rank will NOT affect your results. Any rank you have seen for your school is from past years and will have NO bearing on you or your cohort's results. It is totally the other way round - the efforts and results of you and your cohort will determine the rank of your school for 2009.

RuffWoof

HSC
The school rank can affect your final HSC mark in a sense that a higher school ranking would generally have a stronger cohort performance. (Like someone said before that cohort performance affects your final mark). A stronger cohort peformance in the HSC exam means that your internal marks are scaled higher due to the assumption that your school set harder assessments. Furthermore, schools with higher rankings are more competitive internally meaning there is less difference in marks between you and everyone else. i.e. smaller standard deviation meaning better internal scaling. (Again like someone said before, 'the marks between your ranks and those of others' also matters). Better internal mark leads to a better final mark.

Last edited:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
^ is true to an extent.
You have to remember that school rankings are based on the % of band 6s a school has.
So maybe one school that's ranked fairly decently only have lots of low band 6s and lots of band 2s, which stretches and pulls the cohort's mark gap down.
Maybe a school that's not ranked that well have a a few high band 6s and lots of mid-high band 5s, which stretches and pulls the cohort's mark gap up.
So the school ranking shouldn't be used as a direct measure, only as a small sort of approximation. I mean, obviously a school in the top 10 would do much better than a school ranked 200 but after the top 30 maybe, school rankings become mostly irrelevant.

kooltrainer

HSC
all u need for hsc is a good rank and a good external mark..
an advice from an 08er..

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
There are a lot of helpful threads in the UAI (Technical Arcana) sub-forum specifically posted to explain the whole process. If you read them properly, they usually give pretty god explanations of how it all works with examples to make it easier to comprehend. Try them before polluting BoS with needless double-up "how does ATAR" work threads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)