Trials discursive help (1 Viewer)

jojosiwa123

HSC
Hey guys,
I've got a couple Qs about Paper 2 Mod C,
1) around how many pages should I write each for the story/discursive and reflection?
2) In the reflection, how many prescribed texts should I be referencing (eg if it says reference at least one text, would it be best to stick to just one?)
3) Aside from from, structure, technique etc, should the discursive also have themes from the prescribed texts? and should we include any direct quotes from the prescribed texts?

Thanks!!

yooook

HSC
ifd any1 replies to this, can u reply too myu comment caus eit shows up in my notifcation, cheerrs

ahri

HSC
ifd any1 replies to this, can u reply too myu comment caus eit shows up in my notifcation, cheerrs

1. Around 800 words in total is fine for a Mod C piece (but aim for about 300 words less than what you would normally write for an essay)
2. No, it is better to draw upon a few to show that you have understood these texts. Again, it is the quality of analysis and references not quantity but referencing just one is not enough. In my trial, I referenced 3 texts in-depth (about a short paragraph each).
3. Nope, I would honestly avoid that because copying the theme seems a bit lazy and a lot of people might use the same idea so I would avoid that if possible. Direct quotes are not necessary, you just need to be able to show your understanding and that is through using the same literary techniques, not memorising lines!

Nikolerak

HSC
1. Around 800 words in total is fine for a Mod C piece (but aim for about 300 words less than what you would normally write for an essay)
2. No, it is better to draw upon a few to show that you have understood these texts. Again, it is the quality of analysis and references not quantity but referencing just one is not enough. In my trial, I referenced 3 texts in-depth (about a short paragraph each).
3. Nope, I would honestly avoid that because copying the theme seems a bit lazy and a lot of people might use the same idea so I would avoid that if possible. Direct quotes are not necessary, you just need to be able to show your understanding and that is through using the same literary techniques, not memorising lines!
If the stimulus is an image, do you need to comment how you included it in the reflection statement?
We only did one prescribed text thus far...

jojosiwa123

HSC
thanks, this really helps!!!!!!

ahri

HSC
If the stimulus is an image, do you need to comment how you included it in the reflection statement?
We only did one prescribed text thus far...
Yes, absolutely! You always need to link about how you utilised the stimulus in your piece and make sure that the purpose and meaning is clear and derived from the source (otherwise your piece will be considered 'off topic' and you will lose marks)! Be sure to explain what your meaning/interpretation of the image is and how you reflected/reshaped this for your own writing.

If you only did one prescribed text, study the rest on your own! I only did 3 Mod C texts at school but I prepared 8 different texts for the HSC (i'm selling this bundle for $10, check out my profile haha). It won't hurt to prepare a few more and have the option to pick and choose which one works for your piece on the day!

thanks, this really helps!!!!!!
No worries, glad it helped! : )

Nikolerak

HSC
Yes, absolutely! You always need to link about how you utilised the stimulus in your piece and make sure that the purpose and meaning is clear and derived from the source (otherwise your piece will be considered 'off topic' and you will lose marks)! Be sure to explain what your meaning/interpretation of the image is and how you reflected/reshaped this for your own writing.

If you only did one prescribed text, study the rest on your own! I only did 3 Mod C texts at school but I prepared 8 different texts for the HSC (i'm selling this bundle for $10, check out my profile haha). It won't hurt to prepare a few more and have the option to pick and choose which one works for your piece on the day!

No worries, glad it helped! : )
Ahri
Did you do Advanced or Standard?

ahri

HSC
So in the reflection statement did you choose one of those 8 texts or a few to borrow your techniques from?
Yep, I drew from a few different texts to talk about different techniques and elements that I used. I think I talked about 3 in detail (short para each) and then briefly mentioned techniques from a few other texts.

Nikolerak

HSC
Yep, I drew from a few different texts to talk about different techniques and elements that I used. I think I talked about 3 in detail (short para each) and then briefly mentioned techniques from a few other texts.
Did you include quotes from all 3 prescribed texts? Or only mentioned techniques? I feel including quotes from the prescribed texts makes the reflection statement too long.

ahri

HSC
No quotes, quotes from prescribed texts aren't necessary since you aren't analysing. The point of the reflection is to show you understand what makes that text good, and how you are able to use those techniques in your own work. All you need to know are the main purpose/meaning of each text and the techniques in it (especially specific to the form), then link that back to your own piece.

Nikolerak

HSC
No quotes, quotes from prescribed texts aren't necessary since you aren't analysing. The point of the reflection is to show you understand what makes that text good, and how you are able to use those techniques in your own work. All you need to know are the main purpose/meaning of each text and the techniques in it (especially specific to the form), then link that back to your own piece.
Thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)