Trouble with session 2 enrolment (1 Viewer)

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
Yo,
Comp Scientist here

im doing my second year this year and im having a bit of trouble with my enrolment for session 2 (i know i dont have to do this until later, but still its a rather disturbing anomaly to me)

when i try to enrol in comp2920 for session2, myunsw well denies me because apparently this subject doesnt have any lectures associated with it (yet?)

will this be resolved sometime or is there a special way to enrol in this course? (its a required course according to the handbook

also the rules regarding gen eds, since im taking electives from the arts and philosophies areas, i emailed pene swan and asked if i could count one of my PHIL2xxx courses as the 6 units of required gened for this year, and she said yes, but my trustworthiness at her possibly missunderstood email make me wonder whether geneds MUST be courses labelled with GEN at the front or if i can indeed count my PHIL2xxx course towards my general education requirement. can anyone clear that up aswell?

(what really bones me is that i have 24 units of credit per semester and most courses are 6 uoc, yet one of the required subjects is 3uoc, so thats room for 1 gened, but then id have to do 2 other geneds to make the timetable an even 24 uoc as opposed to 27, im a big fan of simplicity and symmetry)

edit - after reading the handbook page (for the billionth time) it seems my geneds need to be done "in addition" to my electives and required subjects???

Last edited:

shannonm

HSC
N/A
read it dude..

you need to do:

COMP2021 Digital System Structures (6 UOC)
COMP2041 Software Construction (6 UOC)
COMP2920 Professional Issues and Ethics (3 UOC)
COMP2011 Data Organisation (6 UOC) OR COMP2711 Higher Data Organisation (6 UOC)
Electives (21 UOC)
Gen Eds (6 UOC)
which = 48uoc

so obviously you will need at least one elective that is 3uoc. (3x 6uoc's + 1x 3uoc) = the 21 units of electives

COMP2920 is session 2 so dont care about it now. it will be fixed up by the time you need to enrol in session 2 stuff. its probaby undergoing room allocation or change in lecturer or some random thing prevening the time and ocation being determined.

i believe you can count your PHIL2xxx course as 6unit's of gened, but in doing so it will not be counted as one of your electives (basicly you cannot get away with skipping 6 uoc), its either gened or electve

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
right on...but what courses are only worth 3uoc (particularly ones that are intermediate level that dont have prerequisites)

can i count a gened as an elective? (if i can count a phil as a gened then why not vice versa?)

shannonm

HSC
N/A
neeja said:
right on...but what courses are only worth 3uoc (particularly ones that are intermediate level that dont have prerequisites)
for fun courses try math2859 (stats) or methods for DEs :D

j4x0r

HSC
well not all geneds are 3uoc, some language courses can count as geneds, such as japanese which is 6uoc :D a friend did japanese and got rid of 6uoc from the 12uoc requirement for the geneds...*mumbles "lucky bum"*

ace

is retired
HSC
shannonm said:
for fun courses try math2859 (stats) or methods for DEs :D
Tell me more about MATH2859 - Probability and Statistics for Information

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)