Troy (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Really, this movie is bad for so many reasons that it's easier to say what's good in it. Battle scenes, sets, costumes - those are great. Technologically this is an achievement. Also, Eric Bana was great, and so was Peter O'Toole and Sean Bean...Orlando Bloom however is quite dreadful.

I wish it was all about battles, costumes and history, I would've really enjoyed a movie like that on Discovery or History channel. Some of the deviations from Homer though, really puzzled me -like this thing with Menelaus, husband of Helen. Apparently he's nasty, and we don't like nasty people, do we? So let's kill him - why would he get his wife back as Homer has intended? Or Paris he's cute, right? Let him survive, and with Helen too - since the husband is dead, who cares? And why should Greeks besiege this damn city for 10 years - 2 weeks is enough, and lets make Patroclus a little younger, no ALOT younger, and make him Achille's cousin..Etc...

ahhh well what can you do. I just hope that if they decide to make the Odyssey, they dont rip that apart as well..:p

oh and did they credit Virgil for his horsie in the end or not ;-)>

cayte

It's impossible to put together a complete list of all the inaccuracies. I understand that such an epic needs to go on a bit of a diet to fit into a film, but - well neo-o puts the most blatant and irritating ones into words. And where were all the women? And whatever happened to temporal contiguity? Achilles had a son, we don't see him, that would ruin the sex-appeal. Concubines and rape don't sell as well as a forbidden-love story.
(Director) Wolfgang Petersen => :eek: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: <= Fans of Iliad

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Loz please let me point out that in your av, Eric Bana looks like he's about to give one hell of a blowjob :p

astro

HSC
Just a quick question: In the movie, what God did the Trojans worship? Was it Apollo

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Apollo was the God of the Sun, yeah? I think it was.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Yep -- Apollo, he's the Sun God.

As for not sticking to Homer's story, well, yeah, thats true. But its still a movie. I didnt go into the cinema thinking I was going to see thinking it would. If I did, then I prolly would have been disapointed.

As for Odysseus - read up on him. He wasnt in the film much, but as a historical figure, he's very very interesting.

cayte

I expected to be disappointed, I just went out of morbid curiosity to see what they'd do to it. It was better than I expected (it would want to be for its $US 200 million budget), but I was still disappointed, despite expecting to be.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
but if you weren't expecting it to be good, how can you be disappointed that it wasn't?

Kuya

i saw it just today. really really gud. i dun see why all these ppl are raving abt its inaccuracies. who cares if its not accurate. a good film is a good film. if you wanted a doceumentary then you should go and watch the history channel. and who knows... even that may not even be historically accurate.

Demandred

HSC
Saw it last night, wished Hector won and ripped Agememnon heart out (sp?).

jaNetix

friken long ass movie
but good

brads in TOP shape!!
eric bana has some serious dialect issues....was so bad in a couple of scenes...

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LOL! You really cant say it was historically inaccurate when nobody actually knows for sure what happened, or if it even occured - at the end of the day its all mythology based on Homer's interpretation..

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Originally posted by um..
but if you weren't expecting it to be good, how can you be disappointed that it wasn't?
very very easily. I also went into Troy with low expectations and was disappointed it was like when i went to see Matrix 3 after being incredibly disappointed with the 2nd one... you dont believe its possible to sink any lower until they do

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
i saw it last night and i must say, i did enjoy the gratuitous shots of brad pitt.

but yes, the deviations from the iliad were annoying, esp since in the iliad achilles died way before the trojan horse rolled in, and in the movie he's still alive!

cayte

Originally posted by super katie
very very easily. I also went into Troy with low expectations and was disappointed it was like when i went to see Matrix 3 after being incredibly disappointed with the 2nd one... you dont believe its possible to sink any lower until they do
Hehe, you actually went to see the THIRD one? I didn't even want to see the second one. I liked the first (wasn't manic about it, but it was a novel cocept), knew the second would be shit and saw it under duress and certainly wasn't wasting my time or money on seeing the third.

Originally posted by White Rabbit
LOL! You really cant say it was historically inaccurate when nobody actually knows for sure what happened, or if it even occured - at the end of the day its all mythology based on Homer's interpretation..
Which begs the question, is history just events, or is it equally the sources which relate them? If it is just events then there is no history. Think about it.

Originally posted by Will_Sparky
Brilliant Film, Such an impact on me.
By no means lodging a personal attack, but it saddens me to think that a few special effects and some supreme choreography can elicit this sort response in the absence of an engaging story, a well-crafted script or inspiring acting. Whilst anticipating the deaths I wasn't particularly moved when they occured. The whole film was too bogged down in its own self, too aware that it was recounting a famous tale. Roughly. This goes for script-writers, most actors (Bean as Odysseus a notable exception) and director in my opinion. But a blockbuster's a blockbuster is it not. Its goal is to fool the masses into believing they've witnessed something life changing and encourage them to see it again with all their friends, family, co-workers and people they've just met on the street.

I promise that's my final word on the topic. :D

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I don't know the Iliad very well, so I didn't have any expectations as to historical (or is it mythological?) accuracy. That being said, I quite liked it. It was by no means great, but it was still engaging, nonetheness. The overblown soundtrack was quite distracting though.

Last edited:

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
it's funny how some people in this thread don't seem to realise that the illiad and the odsessey are complete works of fiction

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)