True Blood (1 Viewer)

sydchick

HSC
N/A
I've just started watching this and it is just...hmm.

Anyone else watch it?

Now, I HATE Twlight with a passion, mainly due to shit writing and re-writing Buffy/Angel plots all over again and selling it tweens who think they are hot shit.

But this isn't the kiddie stuff. This is really really good and I am surprised at how excellent the first episode was, considering it was a pilot.

The sex is a little graphic but it also shows how vampires can be "normal" and they are a bunch of "fang bangers" in the show who want to fuck vampires.

The whole "vampires are a normal race and part of society..." plotline really grabbed me and this isn't like Buffy where they are unknown or where no one believes they exist.

They've "come out of the coffin" so to speak.

It is racy and a little weird at first but this show is pretty good.

I didn't want to watch it at first (got the first season as an xmas present) but I put on the first ep and I was hooked.

This is for the skeptics, I say.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I've just started watching this and it is just...hmm.

Anyone else watch it?

Now, I HATE Twlight with a passion, mainly due to shit writing and re-writing Buffy/Angel plots all over again and selling it tweens who think they are hot shit.

But this isn't the kiddie stuff. This is really really good and I am surprised at how excellent the first episode was, considering it was a pilot.

The sex is a little graphic but it also shows how vampires can be "normal" and they are a bunch of "fang bangers" in the show who want to fuck vampires.

The whole "vampires are a normal race and part of society..." plotline really grabbed me and this isn't like Buffy where they are unknown or where no one believes they exist.

They've "come out of the coffin" so to speak.

It is racy and a little weird at first but this show is pretty good.

I didn't want to watch it at first (got the first season as an xmas present) but I put on the first ep and I was hooked.

This is for the skeptics, I say.
I watched the pilot a few months ago and I haven't gotten the chance to watch any other episodes. I also had mixed feelings about it. It was completely different from any other television series I've seen before, and the context of the plot seemed a bit too convoluted for my liking.

Vampires in pop culture have become extremely cliche in the past few years, though the unique approach of the series in the pilot lessened that to an extent.

None of the characters in the pilot really drew me in, except for the protagonist (Sookie).

sydchick

HSC
N/A
I watched the pilot a few months ago and I haven't gotten the chance to watch any other episodes. I also had mixed feelings about it. It was completely different from any other television series I've seen before, and the context of the plot seemed a bit too convoluted for my liking.

Vampires in pop culture have become extremely cliche in the past few years, though the unique approach of the series in the pilot lessened that to an extent.

None of the characters in the pilot really drew me in, except for the protagonist (Sookie).

Tbh, when I first saw the pilot I had mixed feelings, too.

In short, it is a pilot. The characters are a little one-dimensonial, the plot a little shakey and some issues still needed to be sorted.

But stick with it. We learn more about Sookie along the way and Bill. The small plot-arches also drew me in. Especially Sookie's brother and her grandmother, for some reason.

The approach is unique, I agree. I've never really seen anything like it.

I'm just thankful that it isn't an imitation of Twishite and brings us back to basics.

Arctopus

HSC
^ um except that it's really well-written, very clever, and extremely witty, well-acted and a very fresh spin on the whole 'vampire' craze.

good show.
You're obviously part of the intended audience I was talking about then.

And just because you believe it's well written and all that junk doesn't mean it still isn't cashing in on you.

Last edited:

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Awesome show. The books are better though.
I've never read the books. Are they well-written?

Once, I read a Buffy tie-in book but it was a shit spin-off written by a 40 year old woman who had no idea how to write well or develop any good plotline, even connecting to the series.

I was completely put-off after that but then who wouldn't be?

Complete shit.

But I am willing to give these a go if the show is any indication to go by.

lynton

HSC
sydchick i got it as well for christmas :/ I havent watched it yet. My friends think its pretty good, from what ive heard.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
It is on Showtime on pay as well, if anyone gets Austar and wants to watch it.

klaris

HSC
I want to watch the series now.

I saw the DVD in the shops the other day.

50 bucks plus being R18+

True Blood sounds really interesting. Didn't the name come from fake blood or something? That is what I heard.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
True Blood sounds really interesting. Didn't the name come from fake blood or something? That is what I heard.
It is really interesting. I would recommend.

And yes, the name did come from fake blood.

The Asians developed synthetic blood called "True Blood" which the vampires can drink, hence no need to drink humans.

I love the opening sequence before the opening credits.

:)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I've never read the books. Are they well-written?

Once, I read a Buffy tie-in book but it was a shit spin-off written by a 40 year old woman who had no idea how to write well or develop any good plotline, even connecting to the series.

I was completely put-off after that but then who wouldn't be?

Complete shit.

But I am willing to give these a go if the show is any indication to go by.
Lol well there's your first problem - you're reading tie-in books. The True Blood series was actually BASED on the Southern Vampire Mysteries series by Charlaine Harris, not the other way around, and they're very good.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I know. I was young and stupid then.

And I'll check it out.

I've laughed a bit while watching this. I never expected it to be funny.

But it is.

I love the pilot where Tara pretty much verbally abuses that poor customer and then quits.

"And it didn't occur to you to pick up the telephone and see about this product you don't know the name of before you drove 100 km's to see?"

Or something like that.

Ahh, love it.

HSC
N/A
i thought i loved the first season and then i watched season two and LOVED it more!

its sucha good show :)

i hate how they always leave you in suspense.. espec the last episode of the seasons... GRRRRR then u have to wait for them to release new eps!!!!!

<3

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
You're obviously part of the intended audience I was talking about then.

And just because you believe it's well written and all that junk doesn't mean it still isn't cashing in on you.
ahhh so the whole 'everyone that watches X is the same'

not a way an 'intelligent' person would think, is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)