Trumpeters Unite!! (1 Viewer)

brassedoff

HSC
i've just had forced 2 weeks off so my range is probably dead.. but otherwise if i do Schlossberg for a while I can get an F out. D otherwise

am doing hummel 2 for ext.

and chris botti is hotter than sergei.

Last edited:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
brassedoff said:
i've just had forced 2 weeks off so my range is probably dead.. but otherwise if i do Schlossberg for a while I can get an F out. D otherwise

am doing hummel 2 for ext.

and chris botti is hotter than sergei.

um... i dont want to have to argue about this but.... Sergei is waaaaay hotter!!

Disease

Retro Rocket
HSC
I play trumpet.. occasionally. I never got into it that much cos it's really just an ensemble instrument to me, and after playing the piano it just doesn't interest me to play it alone. Therefore I don't practice. Therefore I don't get better at it, and therefore I just don't play it as much. Yep. That's my story.

Crowie

HSC
N/A
Hey all the trumpeters out there
wat piece/ pieces r u playing 4 the australian mandatory topic
im playing fantasia by eric gross
not a big fan but hey its gotta b done how bout the rest of u
wats ur additional topic
and extension pieces

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Crowie said:
Hey all the trumpeters out there
wat piece/ pieces r u playing 4 the australian mandatory topic
im playing fantasia by eric gross
not a big fan but hey its gotta b done how bout the rest of u
wats ur additional topic
and extension pieces

hey remember ur mandatory topic piece doesnt have to be australian - as long as it was written in the last 25 years then its ok... why the hell am i writing this your hsc performance would have been over by now!! for most of yous anyway....

musik-nerd

HSC
hey people,
its been awhile since anyones said anything but I thought i'd say hi anyway.

TRUMPET ROCKS. Its not my first instrument so i've only been playing 3.5 yrs (been playing clarinet for 9 - weird combination i know). But yeh - i really like the trumpet. When it comes down to deciding which instrument to keep .. i'm gonna be soo stuck.

Anyways - i kno of at least 1 of you so its really interesting reading what you've had to say. and great to see how passionate you are about your music =)

Oh well if anyones around let me know - cause i hav plenty to say about the trumpet!!

cya

Daiq

HSC
timyates_87 said:
yeh i competed at Newcastle 2003, NSW States 2003, Launceston 2004 and Sydney Metro 2004 all on Jnr Sop, Jnr Trumpet and Open Trumpet. i know both of those guys, played R.Bishops "Rosie" for HSC and Conrad Curry as adudicated me a few times. you wait till trumpet geek see this, lol. she will be happy i think

A couple of you guys have now mentioned Reg Bishop - did any of you guys know him??? He was my teacher!

Ive only just found this thread so am wading my way back through the whole thing.

I am still pissed that i had to miss his funeral (same day as my pops)

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
Hey, I'm a trumpet player... and cornet player... mainly cornet in City of Wollongong Brass Band... I also played with Holroyd in nationals when it was in Tasmania... I don't actually do music at school ... because nobody else in my year wanted to do it cause I go to a derro school... I did it by correspondence last year but it was absolutley horrible. I had to record performances on to cassettes which totally rips off tone... So anyway I dropped it. I'm missing it now though...

Blake R-H

HSC
well, i be a trumpet player :)

i have been brought up in brass bands, so i have this lovely vibrato that is going to take another 8 years to get rid of.

I started in primary school, had 1.5 years of not being tought anything, then i changed schools, and new schoool had no band, which was lucky for me. I joined sutherland shire silver band (now sutherland shire brass), got a cornet (i still have a horrible cornet... its a semi-broken sovereign with a dennis wick 4B... ugh!), and played in the junior band, senior band, and for short time the training band to help the little people.

I went to high school, and joined the concert band and stage band there in my first year (this was kinda unheard of, almost everyone else was in year 10+). i did grade 7 AMEB in year 10, and stuffed my technical work... so only got a B.

i have played with various other groups as people have needed me (like for the NSW state brass band comp in 2005, i played lead euphonium in bankstown junior band (i picked up eupho 2 weeks earlier), and this was while i was playing principle cornet with SSB junior A grade. Even funnier, the conductor asked me to play eupho in SSB junior, and we only had one other solo cornet in the band)

i have competed in metro and state solo competitions for about 6-7 years now, but always play badly due to my extreme nerves. this year though i am the under 19 state trumpet champion (i played crap in that, but in the champion of champions event, i gave rhapsody a solid blow). Congrats to duncan spry, he played great in the champions of champions, and deserved his win :)

i am doing the HSC this year, Music 2 extension, 6 performances:
-Rhapsody in Blue (timofei dockshitzer one)
-Skylark (wynton marsalis one)
-Trumpet Sonata, mvt 1 (Hubeau)
-Trumpet Concerto, mvt 2 (Lovelock)
-Concerto for two trumpets (Vivaldi)
-Some jazz piece by simon sweeny, i dunno yet (this is core, at least its jazz !)

I love jazz, and am currently getting lessons from linda fawer (linda clifford- she got married and had triplets (lol, its funny, i know :p)), and from Ralph Pyl (i won a scholarship from school to get lessons with some pro people.. and ralph is very pro).

Oh, and high note? i have played super C (tone sucked)
i can reguarly play super A - B (sucky tone)
i can play G (usually sucky tone)
i can play F (usually good tone- there is one in rhapsody in blue :D )
i can play Eb (always good tone)
downwards: i can go cromatically down from low C about 2 and a bit octaves, but it sounds... wierd... down there.

(damn, at least this is good practice for essay writing i guess :/ talk about a bloody life story)

musik-nerd

HSC
hi there !
Been awhile yes/no?
cool to hear u ppl really into ur trumpet stuff =)
& even better to hear of a decent trumpet player in y12 this year??!
do u plan on keeping it up next year?
Duncan Spry plays tuba right..? he's excellent...

have u played in any stage bands other than school.. if not were u playing lead?? sounds like u could be an excellent lead player if ur school was playing any decent music. keep going for those super Cs! (but be careful - dont push too hard.. scary stories abt good trumpeters =S)

Anyway Ralph Pyl is awesome yes? my bro had a few lessons off him as well. Simon Sweeney is cool as well. my bro played with him during school spec & he's a reli nice guy.

good luck with your HSC performance.. i kinda regret doing all mine on clari but hey.. seeing i've never really done performance or exams on trumpet besides in groups, it prob wasn't such a great idea!.

keeep up the good work ;) and hope u find a way to get over those nerves.!

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
So... I never thought of doing this but we (the city of wollongong juniors) are in need of strong solo cornets to play with us at nationals... so if you're up for it pm me... Gosh that will be exciting... never got a pm off anyone on here... But it would be greatly appreciated if anyone was willing to come and help us out :)

Blake R-H

HSC
havnt really played in any stage bands outside of school, but i have played lead there for a little while now (3 years i think. it might have been only 2, but the person that was playing *lead the year previous... well, couldnt play lead lol. i had to *help* him, lol).

yup, i plan on continuing trumpet, so much fun for me. last week we had a small performance of HSC students for parents, and it was quite touching when when the audience started cheering after rhapsody in blue. every other piece just got the usual polite applause. made me realise that i can make music, not just play a trumpet :)

yeah, duncan plays tuba. seems to be a fair few good tuba players in that age group (michael allen, duncan spry, john foster, anthony rowe etc)

My lessons with ralph pyl were awesome, my playing has improved so much after just 5 lessons with him. Now i can actually make a solo sound decent, instead of playing wrong notes all the time, and having no melodic shape. so very happy.

good luck in your HSC too. did i read that right? you play trumpet and clarinet? how does that go for your chops lol... must brass players cant even swap from trumpet to baritone without something going wrong in their embrouchure lol.

oh, moo_moo_molly, check your inbox, just sent you a PM :)

musik-nerd

HSC
hellooo there,
hope your hsc performance went well!.
Mine was hmmm.. lol... first piece = crap, last piece = awesome, in between well.. things i coulda done better but overall very happy.
Anyway firstly i saw u asking about the jazz course in some other convo?
Its VERY competitive.. if you're still learnin from ralph pyl i guess u could ask him he might know a bit about it? My bro knows heaps of the guys in the jazz course.. but the thing is most of them have had HEAPS of experience with jazz, before they even get in. lots of them have been in eg. jazz orchestra with the PAU which is what my bro is in. Also a lot of them are playing in this thing called jazz connection which rehearsals in Lindfield on sat arvos.. its run by judy bailey.. my bros playing in that as well (i wonder if uv heard of him hmmm) but yeah, if you're interested in seeing what the level's like might be able to let u know when they have a gig or something.. think there's one this wkend =S but dunno where n stuff it might be a bit far to get too.
Also i went to pan pacs jazz camp last hols.. very exciting.. the level of jazz aroud is soo amazingly high! so many young people really getting into improvising, big band stuff etc. but yeah if ur into jazz keep at it! there's sooo many opportunities for gigs.. but its all about contacts.. so hm.. get yourself more known??
and about the embrochure.. mm i think it does affect it a bit.. i didn't touch my trumpet in the few days leading up to the hsc.. now i'm kinda leaving my clarinet and working on it..
Do you know any other trumpeters planning on auditioning for the con on trumpet for next year?
I'm considering MAYBE trying out on trumpet as well.. but i don't know.. maybe even for a minor (i want to do education). my playings not really that great.. i mean all the reading the music, understanding the music, that kinda thing - im fine. lacking insome technical areas... like jus needa build up my shops and practise lip slurs n things like that.. mm i just really can't decide if i wanna try and keep up both next yr or not.. or if i should try really hard to get into a major on clari.. or WHAT i should do.. so confused.. but hey this is a trumpet convo so woot go trumpets !

Blake R-H

HSC
its quite possible that i know your brother... us trumpet players tend to get around a fair bit lol.

i felt that some things could have been better, a couple of technical things went wrong (split notes (not high ones :p )), but i think i played very musically, so im happy :)

grats on your performance too :D

yeah, i am going to be getting out a bit more after school to get further into the jazz scene, and get some contacts.

musik-nerd

HSC
heya,
well his name is ken so yeah...
Anyway good luck with everything!

Blake R-H

HSC
oh. now i feel so very insecure. your brother is an absolute machine on trumpet lol... was good fun playing in the stage band with him at state music camp though.

so glad i don't have to compete with him to get into jazz at uni lol :D

jazzmuzik

HSC
yeah i'm another trumpet player...
(how many have we actually found on here?)

i play trumpet and have for quite a while but to be honest i dont love the instrument...
i enjoy playing in ensembles and most of my spare time is doing so, but yes well i guess i'm trying to say no, i dont really have favourite players or am "heaps into" any trumpet pieces..
(haha i come on a trumpet thread and denounce my love of the instrument, blasphemous i know :))

give me a sax recording anyday

subrhythm

subrhythm
HSC
hey everyone. i'm auditioning for both sydney con and qld con for 2009. just wondering what standard all you trumpet players were at when you auditioned. (i.e. what AMEB grade)?? and do you have many 'older' musicians doing the Bachelor of Music course? By older i mean not straight out of high school... and generally, how many trumpet players are accepted in each intake?

any help is very much appreciated.
laura

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)