Truongs Maths Tutoring, any comments? (1 Viewer)

oasfree

HSC
N/A
Re: Truong's tutoring, any comments?

Well, by the look of it he is a bit of an authoritative person or a kind dictator which is expected of a rich guy like him. If he does not allow room for challenge, then I don't like recommending him to any one. Teachers should allow room for challenge. One problem with allowing kids to challenge is that they get used to it and challenge indiscriminately. But not allowing it is bad too. Kids will never really learn enough.

There is a real difference in learning and training to get the best mark. Truong obviously tries to make sure kids get the basics but also face the need to get them the best marks. This is hard. So he teaches the "best" strategy in his own view to allow kids to solve problems the quickest to move on to next question. But this is pushing formula and kids won't learn a lot. They will forget soon after learning and doing the exam. Any one who leaves him has no chance of coming back, so it was a hard decision for my niece to leave him as he would not allow a break (for relaxation). But since she got one-on-one, she has improved 10% so it was good to leave.

So he targets the middle market leaving out the silliest and the brightest. I suppose the brightest would not go to coaching any way. If they are serious the parents would hire a math PhD to do one-on-one.

BTW, do you have any Caucasian in his classes or any other ethnicity apart from Vietnamese? He is Vietnamese so I expect most students there would be Vietnamese?

oasfree

HSC
N/A

Yep, most students are vietnamese or chinese. I have never seen any caucasian, ever. I was the only one with an Indian background for three years, until another one came along =)

Also, Truong is extremely sexist.
I suppose Caucasian like coaching places that look Caucasian. Put it this way, I am not Caucasian but I would not like any place that does not look clean, sparkling, friendly and professional looking. I always check the toilet and equipment to make sure if the owner is serious maintaining quality on the simple things. That means I just live among the wider Australian community.

The sexist thing is an attitude that is often the result of having money and running a business that is so tied to a single community of people where women often like to stay home and spend money rather than going out to make money. As they spend so much time with one group of people, they lose all the good imports of Western liberal attitudes they get at University. The older they become, the worst it will get. However some people are not sexist. They may joke about it making it looks a bit sexist but they are really not.

xMrRand0m

HSC

Well, by the look of it he is a bit of an authoritative person or a kind dictator which is expected of a rich guy like him. If he does not allow room for challenge, then I don't like recommending him to any one. Teachers should allow room for challenge. One problem with allowing kids to challenge is that they get used to it and challenge indiscriminately. But not allowing it is bad too. Kids will never really learn enough.

There is a real difference in learning and training to get the best mark. Truong obviously tries to make sure kids get the basics but also face the need to get them the best marks. This is hard. So he teaches the "best" strategy in his own view to allow kids to solve problems the quickest to move on to next question. But this is pushing formula and kids won't learn a lot. They will forget soon after learning and doing the exam. Any one who leaves him has no chance of coming back, so it was a hard decision for my niece to leave him as he would not allow a break (for relaxation). But since she got one-on-one, she has improved 10% so it was good to leave.

So he targets the middle market leaving out the silliest and the brightest. I suppose the brightest would not go to coaching any way. If they are serious the parents would hire a math PhD to do one-on-one.

BTW, do you have any Caucasian in his classes or any other ethnicity apart from Vietnamese? He is Vietnamese so I expect most students there would be Vietnamese?
I too am a current student that go to his tutoring, I must say, I've been to quite a number of tuition centres and his is the best by far.

He isn't as arrogant or authoritative as you make him out to be. Yes, he may be rich, but he surely doesn't show it off. He drives a normal family Honda sedan and lives in a house that's average sized.
In regards to the challenges he sets out to his students, he gets them to practice by doing all those questions from those trials, this prepares the students to be ready for any hard questions they could possibly throw at you.

The strategies and methods he teaches sets students up for the HSC, and after all, isn't that really all that matters right now? So all the formulas that you learn will only need to be remembered for the HSC. I should add that his formulas and methods all work anyway, so there's no need to worry about memorising a formula that wouldn't work.

Yes there are Caucasian students in his classes. In mine for example, we've got students from many ethnic backgrounds; Arabic, Indian, Caucasians, Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese.

oasfree

HSC
N/A

In regards to the challenges he sets out to his students, he gets them to practice by doing all those questions from those trials, this prepares the students to be ready for any hard questions they could possibly throw at you.

The strategies and methods he teaches sets students up for the HSC, and after all, isn't that really all that matters right now?
It seems so but when students get to University, those who depend on memorising formulas to score high in the HSC will suffer badly. What he does only help to get into the door, not helping to prepare the students for what is inside the door. I am not sure if normal schools prepare students for University either. That's the catch 22. At University it's all about understanding the concepts and theories. It's about how you use the knowledge in real applications. This is why there is a big rate of students dropping out or those who just scrape 45% to get a pass terminated (not allow to move on). Also the long years of coaching takes toll on the students. Students who depend too much on coaching will lose out both on mental burnt-out and losing the coaching by the time they they are in University level.

Ideally coaching should be about learning and about filling the gaps left open by normal schools.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

My sister goes there for Maths. I find that while it is probably helpful for an average student, those at the higher end would probably not benefit as much. One thing I don't like about the place is that everyone (even the tutors themselves) must do the question his way and not their own way (most high end students tend to develop their own ways of solving things). I taught my sister some alternative methods to some questions which are acceptable at school but not so much at the tutor, despite often being the quicker method. So basically, if the school teaches one method and the tutor teaches it with another method it becomes quite annoying to switch back and forth lol. However, that being said, some tutors don't really give a crap if you try an alternative method despite what he says lol

oasfree

HSC
N/A

My sister goes there for Maths. I find that while it is probably helpful for an average student, those at the higher end would probably not benefit as much. One thing I don't like about the place is that everyone (even the tutors themselves) must do the question his way and not their own way (most high end students tend to develop their own ways of solving things). I taught my sister some alternative methods to some questions which are acceptable at school but not so much at the tutor, despite often being the quicker method. So basically, if the school teaches one method and the tutor teaches it with another method it becomes quite annoying to switch back and forth lol. However, that being said, some tutors don't really give a crap if you try an alternative method despite what he says lol
I think this is an attempt to get the best average result rather than ego. He probably wants the kids to use what seems to be the fastest way to get a problem out of the way and he also wants this to be adopted across the board for efficiency. I would encourage his own kid(s) to be different and work out their own methods. After all the business is to go after the money. It's not about catering for a particular type of kids.

If you can help your sister, she probably should not be going to Truong's. Mass coaching like this is never intended for very smart kids. One-on-one is what needed for the weak kids and the very smart ones (to become genius).

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

We could comment on truong himself all day long, but the bottom line is he is a fantastic and brillian person and has tutored me a billion times better than any other commercial tutoring college, and has hence improved my marks drastically. All for $12.50 /hour.

Thankyou Sir.
Well said.
If you don't like the way he teaches - then fine, you're free to do so. All we're saying is that we're happy with his methods and that they work for us.

oasfree

HSC
N/A

We could comment on truong himself all day long, but the bottom line is he is a fantastic and brillian person and has tutored me a billion times better than any other commercial tutoring college, and has hence improved my marks drastically. All for $12.50 /hour.

Thankyou Sir.
Is that the fee? How many hours do you have to attend per week at the minimum? How many students in each class? I heard he was making a kill with so many students.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Is that the fee? How many hours do you have to attend per week at the minimum? How many students in each class? I heard he was making a kill with so many students.
We have 1 lesson a week which is 1hr and 45 minutes. Unless you do 4U like I do, where you have an additional 1hr 45 min lesson and sometimes we have additional lessons, but they're usually with one of his teachers so they're really cheap (additional lessons are like $10 for 3 hours).

The main thing with truong is his classes are really large, because he has such a large waiting list.

oasfree

HSC
N/A

We have 1 lesson a week which is 1hr and 45 minutes. Unless you do 4U like I do, where you have an additional 1hr 45 min lesson and sometimes we have additional lessons, but they're usually with one of his teachers so they're really cheap (additional lessons are like $10 for 3 hours).

The main thing with truong is his classes are really large, because he has such a large waiting list.
The fee looks reasonable but the large class is what expected as he makes money on large numbers rather than high price. The drawback of large class is that you only get canned lessons and probably be asked to push formulas rather than being creative. You also get less chance to explore other methods. You get the single "best" view of whoever the teacher you have. His service fits the budget. That's why he seems so successful.

xMrRand0m

HSC

The fee looks reasonable but the large class is what expected as he makes money on large numbers rather than high price. The drawback of large class is that you only get canned lessons and probably be asked to push formulas rather than being creative. You also get less chance to explore other methods. You get the single "best" view of whoever the teacher you have. His service fits the budget. That's why he seems so successful.
Well, like iSplicer and the-derivative said, Truong's methods work and is the fastest way of getting to the solution; so why would you need to be creative and think of another method when there's one being presented right in front of you? And this "best" view of the teacher can be said to be proven to work - That's why there are so many students in the class. He still allows questions to be asked in class, it's not like his a dictator or something.

oasfree

HSC
N/A

Completely agree. No need to be creative, save that for English and History. Truong is a brilliant person, he knows what the best method is, so I have learnt to put my ego aside and learn what he says. He encourages us to ask questions a lot, contrary to popular belief.
Wait until you get to University to taste what's like not to use your own effort to find alternative methods. What Truong offers is what drilling sergeants do. That trains you to become fighters with a limited set of weapons. However I agree that it's value for money. He knows how to do it just by looking at his success. Some kids (like my niece) got the benefit then moved on to one-on-one to improve further.

lou071

HSC
N/A

i heard he is really strict, but it is best to go there and check it.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

I'm an ex-student of Truong's. Honestly, he's the best tutor I've ever had. It's a lot of hard work, and your brain will probably melt after one of his lessons (at the beginning anyway) but you learn a lot and you'll definitely improve in school if you do the work. He's also not so scary outside of tutoring. Even in his classes, he tells a lot of jokes/ancedotes which sometimes are funny and other times just plain silly especially coming from Truong himself.

In terms of class sizes, they are big but he gets to know everyone on a personal level. He's not like a teacher at school who doesn't remember your name or anything, he knows you and what you're capable of. Plus, the large class size provides shelter in case you don't know the answers. :)

I'm friends with ex-students whom teach at the tutoring centre as well. They're really good and extremely intelligent people. I don't know anything specific about their teaching styles but it's definitely easier than Truong teaching you himself.

If you're planning to attend his tutoring centre, you should also take up him english tutoring. The tutors are often the best english teachers that I know of (e.g. Mr. Tishler from Macq Fields whom taught me, Ms. Diab from Sefton and also another teacher from James Ruse whose name I've forgotten.)

Last edited:

nelses

HSC

I am an ex student of Truong's and I've been with him for the whole of my life in high school.

I would like to clear a couple of things up.

It's actually called Ngo's and Sons, not Truong's tutoring

Sure he might be making a lot of money, but he isn't money hungry and only does tutoring in order to help the students. Proof?
1. He HAS a primary job that makes him well off already
2. Have you ever seen an advertisement for his tutoring centre? I'm sure you haven't because he DOES NOT advertise, but is famous for his student's success from his dedication in teaching
3. No one has ever been expelled because they were unable to pay. He allows numerous of students to attend their lessons for free because they are financially disadvantaged. e.g. there is a current year 11 student who's family is financially disadvantaged. Truong gave him a job in order to help his family out (and is being paid a lot more than the minimum pay for his age) and his lessons are all for free.

To Oasfree,
1. He hires ex-students as teachers to help him out, not for reputation and the like (but usually they're in the top tier) as it's humanly impossible in order to teach numerous amounts of classes per day, every week
2. About your niece, I'm sure you're educated enough to understand that some tutors may not suit a student's needs, whether that be the teaching methods, learning environment etc. Furthermore it could be the way she was studying just isn't efficient in order to reach a certain level or the environment in which she did the examination.
3. For parking violations, I've heard there were cases where parents would refuse to remove from a drive way until their son/daughter were picked up which violates the law. There are multiple carparks close by and such an issue would be the parents faults
4. He is strict on matters such as manners and doing homework, because it reflects your respect to him as a teacher and dedication as a student. He just doesn't teach maths, he teaches you how to become a better person, by respecting others and able to apply yourself to your education. He is definitely not dictative or authorative and accepts any student as long as they are willing to study (no matter what race or gender)
5. The way he teaches, isn't just about memorising formulas. He teaches you concepts and theories through ways of applying formulas, different ways of thinking. The way he structures his booklets is in order to show different types of questions and different ways they can be tackled. If it were just about memorising formulas, then how do you expect anyone to score highly in any maths exam? (especially 4u) I'm sure what you're saying about uni is correct where I've also heard is a lot of self application to your learning, but from there on, it's a student's own responsibility for their learning isn't it? Also, the way you assert yourself in making him seem like a "drilling seargent" implies you've attended his classes and thoroughly know his teaching methods? If so please explain how he isn't open to alternative methods

To iSplicer
1. As a student, you know he isn't sexist, he just likes to joke around a lot. Everyone is entitled to that right?

I believe a student is responsible for their own learning, a tutor can only do so much.

Also, before I started, I received a 60% in my algebra test, but after going to his tutor centre, I was able to maintain a 95+% average in all exams, even throughout my hsc. I really owe him a lot for helping me improve.

P.S. David you know he doesn't treat everyone else like dirt, he only explodes at students who do something wrong and would normally receive punishment

P.S.S. Oh by the way, about the entrance exam, he has it in order to filter out the students who are willing to study with to those who aren't. (not the good and the bad students) How? Well it's not just the paper that you're assessed on, and it's not just all maths questions in the paper either...

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

I am an ex student of Truong's and I've been with him for the whole of my life in high school.

I would like to clear a couple of things up.

It's actually called Ngo's and Sons, not Truong's tutoring

Sure he might be making a lot of money, but he isn't money hungry and only does tutoring in order to help the students. Proof?
1. He HAS a primary job that makes him well off already
2. Have you ever seen an advertisement for his tutoring centre? I'm sure you haven't because he DOES NOT advertise, but is famous for his student's success from his dedication in teaching
3. No one has ever been expelled because they were unable to pay. He allows numerous of students to attend their lessons for free because they are financially disadvantaged. e.g. there is a current year 11 student who's family is financially disadvantaged. Truong gave him a job in order to help his family out (and is being paid a lot more than the minimum pay for his age) and his lessons are all for free.

To Oasfree,
1. He hires ex-students as teachers to help him out, not for reputation and the like (but usually they're in the top tier) as it's humanly impossible in order to teach numerous amounts of classes per day, every week
2. About your niece, I'm sure you're educated enough to understand that some tutors may not suit a student's needs, whether that be the teaching methods, learning environment etc. Furthermore it could be the way she was studying just isn't efficient in order to reach a certain level or the environment in which she did the examination.
3. For parking violations, I've heard there were cases where parents would refuse to remove from a drive way until their son/daughter were picked up which violates the law. There are multiple carparks close by and such an issue would be the parents faults
4. He is strict on matters such as manners and doing homework, because it reflects your respect to him as a teacher and dedication as a student. He just doesn't teach maths, he teaches you how to become a better person, by respecting others and able to apply yourself to your education. He is definitely not dictative or authorative and accepts any student as long as they are willing to study (no matter what race or gender)
5. The way he teaches, isn't just about memorising formulas. He teaches you concepts and theories through ways of applying formulas, different ways of thinking. The way he structures his booklets is in order to show different types of questions and different ways they can be tackled. If it were just about memorising formulas, then how do you expect anyone to score highly in any maths exam? (especially 4u) I'm sure what you're saying about uni is correct where I've also heard is a lot of self application to your learning, but from there on, it's a student's own responsibility for their learning isn't it? Also, the way you assert yourself in making him seem like a "drilling seargent" implies you've attended his classes and thoroughly know his teaching methods? If so please explain how he isn't open to alternative methods

To iSplicer
1. As a student, you know he isn't sexist, he just likes to joke around a lot. Everyone is entitled to that right?

I believe a student is responsible for their own learning, a tutor can only do so much.

Also, before I started, I received a 60% in my algebra test, but after going to his tutor centre, I was able to maintain a 95+% average in all exams, even throughout my hsc. I really owe him a lot for helping me improve.

P.S. David you know he doesn't treat everyone else like dirt, he only explodes at students who do something wrong and would normally receive punishment

P.S.S. Oh by the way, about the entrance exam, he has it in order to filter out the students who are willing to study with to those who aren't. (not the good and the bad students) How? Well it's not just the paper that you're assessed on, and it's not just all maths questions in the paper either...
I agree completely with this post.
The important thing is whether his students are happy with his services - and the large majority of students would say yes - I know I'm very happy with Truong's teaching. In my opinion - everybody has a different way of learning - some methods may work for you, some might not. Just because a method doesn't work for you - or if you do not agree with a method - doesn't mean it is bad or ineffective.

Also with the comment with iSplicer - most of us know that he's just joking around. Most of his favourite students (in my classes especially) are girls so he's definately not sexist.

turt1e

HSC

Wait until you get to University to taste what's like not to use your own effort to find alternative methods. What Truong offers is what drilling sergeants do. That trains you to become fighters with a limited set of weapons. However I agree that it's value for money. He knows how to do it just by looking at his success. Some kids (like my niece) got the benefit then moved on to one-on-one to improve further.

Like you said, creativity is needed when you attend university. His aim is to help you get into university. There's a difference there.

The one-on-one tutoring for your cousin is probably more successful for her since she gets more attention from the tutor. Therefore, they are able to see and work on their weaknesses. You can't compare one on one tutoring with sir's huge classes. As commented earlier, it's up to the student themself to study and memorise formulas when at home. Sir knows that not everyone has the ability to memorise immediately, that's why you revise over the work when at home and constantly practice in order not to forget.

I've seen a lot of successful students attending his classes and even if you don't do we in your academics, then at least your manners would improve.
He truly has my respect and admiration as an ex-tutor and person.

DucKy::

XDXDXD
HSC

Oasfree you seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against him? (Or tutors overall?)

I strongly disagree with almost everything you have said about him - this is a man that has helped so many people so much it's unbelievable - you're missing out on so much and I can't see what you're basing your statements on, since your niece's single experience is very different to your own non-existent one.

I can say this because I feel I owe so much to him. I actually was on his waiting list for almost a year, and several months after I was finally accepted something bad happened in my family and our financial situation wasn't exactly fantastic. I felt really awful about it, but asked him if it was okay if my payments were late - HE SAID IT WAS MORE THAN OK, AND LET BOTH ME AND MY BROTHER ATTEND FOR FREE. Yes, his lessons are cheap, yes, he's got a lot of other students, but he was so understanding and that money we saved meant so much! I only found out today solid proof that there are other people he's aided - so how many other people has he silently assisted and nobody knows, because they think he's some rich racist sexist guy?

(Speaking of money, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but he actually is a practising doctor. He doesn't really need the money from teaching...I would've thought that's pretty obvious...and hahaha, has anyone noticed that he drives a very distinctive bomb? I thought he drove a merc like other rich ppl!)

And he's a fantastic teacher! I went to James Ruse, you'd think I'd have great teachers, but I was really struggling in maths. But the following year, with Truong, I made it into the top class, and pretty much kept up that standard. I was probably that middle ranging kid that went to tutoring to become that top kid, and benefited in both brackets. Tutoring is supposed to cover up the gaps in school? In my senior years my maths teacher was the worst EVER (I still hate him. oh. so. bitterly.) and Truong > school definitely. It was heaps fun (he's HILARIOUS), and I learnt a lot. I kicked ass in my HSC, I'm in UNSW Med now, and doing very well thank you very much. I don't think tutoring has adversely affected my ability to adapt to uni at all (although it might vary depending on your ex-tutor/learning style).

Hmm what else about my time at Truong's? Oh yeah, verbal abuse!! I can totally understand why a lot of people feel put down by it (I cried once :( ) but I rallied up instead of wallowing in my own self-pity and making up excuses for myself I just worked harder until I got the results we both wanted. I can understand his scariness too - I did one-on-one tutoring myself (hands up who didn't after HSC!), and get reaaallllyyyy aggravated when my kids don't do their hw or do bad in my tests because I feel responsible for them and care for them but get. so. annoyed. when they don't try enough. He's strict, and acts tough, but he really isn't and my friend who's on that ex-student staff says they all love him (for that wage that makes him a millionaire? of course, it can't be anything else can it?)

I'm sorry, I know this is a long post, but I'm really very passionate about this. Oasfree, kudos to your niece for her improved marks - and speaking with the experience of an ex-one-on-one tutor who also knows other tutors, if you start off with one kid and you're very good, other kids/parents are going to notice and you're going to end up with more. Voila, a class or two and maybe a tutoring centre that has to keep a waiting list. And maybe a few kids who score 100.

P.S. For those who understand: THE TALK.
(enough said)

perfect^^

HSC

To begin, please don't ridicule me for choosing the username "perfect^^"... t'was a little whim of mine at 3am when i created the account few years ago.

As other people have offered comments, I too, shall relate from experience.

I think an important part of judging a tutor/tutoring place is to see what is offered.
- Facilities - All the furniture was new, from memory, and the facilities are definitely very "clean and professional" (-relating to the point made earlier about it not being suited to non-asian tastes).
- Tutor - Very thorough, clear, and helpful because he is always encouraging of and responsive to questions and "challenges"/alternate methods. So I'm not sure what people mean by stifling creativity. I've always had time to reflect upon my initial approaches to each question, before being offered a good solution method.

In terms of personal philosophy, he stands to have strong values...compassionate in caring and silently helping so many people, and to want his students to do well, of course he has to be strict and for them to be well mannered, respectful, loyal and essentially good hearted. I thank him for influencing me, because to consciously culture these attributes makes you a better child, sibling, friend, student, etc, letting you live a happier life.

Yes, there will always be criticisms about all tutors and tutoring places. In my own experience, I have nothing to complain about. Rather, I am very thankful and grateful for everything he's done for me, not only academically.

As others have said, there is no such thing as a tutoring place that caters for everyone. If you need extra time to process your material and think, then perhaps a personal tutor will be more beneficial.
The parking violations thing, what other solution is there for stopping parents from doing that and harbouring complaints?
Enjoying racist/sexist jokes may be offensive to some people, but has anyone actually seen him treat someone differently due to their status?

~

turt1e

HSC
Re: Fairfield Troung's recommendation - English

Hey there =)
My little sister is attending her saturday class for English and she's always looking forward to the lessons. She says that her classes are very entertaining and educational at the same time.

However, she's NOT accepting any students in year 12 this year as they havealready learnt a fair bit ahead of school. She has established the essential l knowledge for english in year 11, therefore it's difficult to teach new students. Well, that's what my younger sister told me.

I agree with mandyxpoo. BOW ! Even if you're not the brightest, he'd like you if you had manners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)