Truongs Maths Tutoring, any comments? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Truong's tutoring, any comments?

For those of you who don't know Truong, I don't think you're really in any position to judge what sorta character he is, based on what you 'heard' from your 'friends'.

My 99 in 2U, I'd say, was purely due to Truong's tutoring.

turt1e

HSC

My sister goes there for Maths. I find that while it is probably helpful for an average student, those at the higher end would probably not benefit as much. One thing I don't like about the place is that everyone (even the tutors themselves) must do the question his way and not their own way (most high end students tend to develop their own ways of solving things). I taught my sister some alternative methods to some questions which are acceptable at school but not so much at the tutor, despite often being the quicker method. So basically, if the school teaches one method and the tutor teaches it with another method it becomes quite annoying to switch back and forth lol. However, that being said, some tutors don't really give a crap if you try an alternative method despite what he says lol
The higher end students do benefit - I know last year he had about 3 students with 100 and about 20 students who got UAIs of 99.XX So his students are some of the best in the state, and his average must be quite good. Other average students like me got above average because of him too.

And my sister's class has several smart people - they're encouraged to give their opinions too and if there really is a much better method, he says it's okay.

HSC
Re: Fairfield Troung's recommendation - English

Her teaching styles are directly from the rubric which is good, and she also focuses on the important stuff which are not really covered a lot at school but still important since its already 1/4 of the english paper eg. creative writing. Problem is that she has a lot of student not just at fairfield so if you need to contact her during the week for help or advice it might take a long time or just hard to reach her

Last edited:

smushieex

HSC

so you do an entrance test and if you don't do too well in it, you won't exactly get accepted?

xMrRand0m

HSC

so you do an entrance test and if you don't do too well in it, you won't exactly get accepted?
Well, sir doesn't base it purely on the marks that you get in the entrance exams. He bases his decision on the manners, character and the respect that that particular student has. As long as he sees that you'll try hard and aren't one of those "I don't give a crap" students, although when it comes to tough decisions, say like, 2 spots for 40 kids, he'll have to take into consideration your marks.

DucKy::

XDXDXD
HSC

It's not just Ms Diab that's really good - he tries to get the best teachers he can to work there - Mayers is also soooo nice and funny, although I think she teaches the junior classes? So while Diab is fantastic for HSC (teaching by rubric suits it really well, considering how "formulated" HSC english is now), Mayers (she's the James Ruse one) is more holistic in teaching English and she makes it fun too. But you know, English is subjective so experiences depend on the individuals.

About bowing:
It's mostly to the maths department because the English staff aren't Vietnamese and opt not to have the bowing, but he stresses the bowing on his Vietnamese students because it's part of their culture. Students from other cultures aren't expected to extend the bowing to their uncles and other relatives though, so he is aware of different cultures. But he does have a point, Asian families do judge other families by the behaviour of their kids and how they are brought up.

oasfree

HSC
N/A

About bowing:
It's mostly to the maths department because the English staff aren't Vietnamese and opt not to have the bowing, but he stresses the bowing on his Vietnamese students because it's part of their culture. Students from other cultures aren't expected to extend the bowing to their uncles and other relatives though, so he is aware of different cultures. But he does have a point, Asian families do judge other families by the behaviour of their kids and how they are brought up.
I feel uncomfortable about kids bowing at me because their parents tell them so. I think I would be much more comfortable if they say just say "Hello Uncle". The old mark of respect is demeaning in a sense when kids are forced to bow to some one older who is a nasty just because the parents want to show that their kids have manners. Once the bowing is automatic it has no meaning. I see nasty kids bow to adults because they were told to do that. They have absolutely no desire to do so. When a teacher asks kids to bow, there is really no friendship. It instantly set up a formal master-student relationship. In the old time, this is useful for teaching but I think there is a limitation in this. Kids are expected to stay silent, listen to the teachers or else ... It takes away to conversational and creative aspect of learning. It's more about rote learning. I suppose in this context of tutoring, it's essentially rote learning anyway. I have never seen Truong teaching, so I cannot say for sure.

I like teachers who teach and make students laugh a lot. They learn better this way. When I was young I had a teacher who scared the kids but he had one virtue. He always challenged the kids to prove that he was wrong. Some of us had a crack at it (without suffering any retaliation) but mostly failed to prove that he was wrong.

I think teaching a large class is not easy. It's rare to have a teacher who can face a large class, run it in a relax manner with lots of jokes and still manage good learning. So when a teacher gives good lessons, I consider it better than a pass. Truong knows the Viet culture well (parents expect kids to show respect even though this is getting harder each day). That's why he is very successful within the Viet community.

DucKy::

XDXDXD
HSC

I like teachers who teach and make students laugh a lot. They learn better this way.

. . .

I think teaching a large class is not easy. It's rare to have a teacher who can face a large class, run it in a relax manner with lots of jokes and still manage good learning. So when a teacher gives good lessons, I consider it better than a pass. Truong knows the Viet culture well (parents expect kids to show respect even though this is getting harder each day). That's why he is very successful within the Viet community.
That's exactly sir!!!!! Fun, effective teaching! But the key thing most people miss about his tutoring is his emphasis on the traditional ways.

I understand what you mean about being uncomfortable with bowing, especially since it is such an old custom and appears an anachronism in a modern, western context, and while this context has many good values, it's also contributed somewhat to the erosion of traditional cultures. So yes, that's partially why he's so successful within the Vietnamese community - but that's also extended somewhat to the Chinese community too.

There are many ways of showing respect, and while it's a contradiction when a normally nasty kid bows, I don't think it's meaningless. Primarily, it shows that the parents themselves still hold to traditional values and are doing their best to bring up their child in line with them, and seeing how difficult that is now, I think that's quite admirable and reflects positively on the family. And well, if the kid's normally nasty, at least conceding to bow is a start!

Of course, it doesn't mean that kids who don't bow are automatically bad (or their families!). There's other ways of being good people, and what Truong taught me beyond math (this will always resonate) is the concept of integrity, and remembering where I came from, who helped me along the way, and who I owe. In return, you respect them (especially your parents), and do your best to repay them (just so happens the best way is to make them proud of you, and for most that's through studying)

dp, in my opinion (and apparently others as well) what you have been saying recently goes against much of that, and your defence doesn't change my disappointment in you.

p.s. i was one of those kids who cried. But like I said, it didn't stop me from getting back up and trying again (I don't think anybody has an excuse not to get up again). jayadore has a point in that yelling with the aim of motivating is a cultural thing, and yes, it's another anachronism - but it's done with good intentions and quite effective (I'm proof!)

Intelligence is not just about being "book-smart." Jayadore you're smarter than you give yourself credit for because you actually understand what Truong stands for.

Last edited:

turt1e

HSC

Call him Sir or Dr Ngo at least!

And yes, look at his arm! When I was in year 12 everyone knew that he was having pain in his arm but he told us that he thought we were very bad in maths and kept teaching us. My sister said he had to go for an operation because his arm kept getting worse. I thank sir so much for his dedication. Two of my sister's friends currently in year 11 are helping him with just photocopying-he's helping them with their financial situation( and all he tells them to do is sit there and study whilst he photocopies himself!). This is the kind of person he is!

oasfree

HSC
N/A

I know what you mean. Truong (or any one else) has his flaws. I have my flaws. Your parents have their flaws. I guess that Truong being educated in Australia is still very Vietnamese in his nature. This is because most of his customers are Vietnamese. Asking for respect is not just Asian culture. It's the English Victorian culture as well. I would prefer the more Westernised or Australianised version where adults don't have to dictate to the kids (and only try to be very firm when absolutely necessary). I used to have tough and good teachers when I was young. I admired them but I did not like them. I would prefer kind and friendly teachers who know when to be firm. But it's too much to ask as not many are like that. Some people of old cultures can be quite erratic. They can be over generous to people they like and behave badly toward the ones they dont' like. This is a common flaw.

The bottom line is that teachers who insist on respect often do well. However if they can also naturally create a sense of friendship, it will work even better. Some Asian teachers are so used to demanding respect that they just cannot deal with a role reversal. For example, I would doubt that Truong will handle well when he becomes a student of his student. Imagine if one of his student were to teach him how to do something and demanded that Truong paid attention and respect just like what Truong expected his students to. That would be a real challenge. I myself personally had no problem when my own kid told me that I was wrong and corrected me several times on what I taught the kid. I am glad that my own kid is competent and could outgrow me like that. I imagine that my kid's teachers would be uncomfortable when they were rightly corrected by a little kid in similar fashion.

You can judge a person as good or bad. You can judge a person as friendly or unfriendly. I think Truong's generation and his strong link with the Viet culture (most of his customers are Viet who respect teachers a lot) make him what he is. Some people like his style. Some hate his style. Some are jealous of his success. But at the end of the day, you don't have to like some one. However you need to judge a person fairly for his contribution (against what he takes such as payment or demand of respect). To this end I would say that if Truong respects his students as individuals and does not expect his students to LIKE him, then he's alright. We all have flaws. Unless the flaws are really unacceptable, we should overlook them.

One of my nieces are still going to Truong's place. Her father told me that Truong got tough recently and expelled students who did not pay in time (and did not talking to him). He expelled kids if the the parents violated parking laws and caused the council officers to talk to him. Knowing the Asian culture, I feel that this kind of tough action affect the kids a lot because some of the parents will take it out on the kids. If he employs some one to work on this and mediate it would be better. It certainly sends a message "Now that I am successful and rich, you all need me. I don't care any more". It's not necessarily true of Truong. But this is the attitude universally disliked among all cultures. It's too easy for a person like me to say negative things because I never need his services. That's why I think one should be fair and try allow for things.

Last edited by a moderator:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

I know what you mean. Truong (or any one else) has his flaws. I have my flaws. Your parents have their flaws. I guess that Truong being educated in Australia is still very Vietnamese in his nature. This is because most of his customers are Vietnamese. Asking for respect is not just Asian culture. It's the English Victorian culture as well. I would prefer the more Westernised or Australianised version where adults don't have to dictate to the kids (and only try to be very firm when absolutely necessary). I used to have tough and good teachers when I was young. I admired them but I did not like them. I would prefer kind and friendly teachers who know when to be firm. But it's too much to ask as not many are like that. Some people of old cultures can be quite erratic. They can be over generous to people they like and behave badly toward the ones they dont' like. This is a common flaw.

The bottom line is that teachers who insist on respect often do well. However if they can also naturally create a sense of friendship, it will work even better. Some Asian teachers are so used to demanding respect that they just cannot deal with a role reversal. For example, I would doubt that Truong will handle well when he becomes a student of his student. Imagine if one of his student were to teach him how to do something and demanded that Truong paid attention and respect just like what Truong expected his students to. That would be a real challenge. I myself personally had no problem when my own kid told me that I was wrong and corrected me several times on what I taught the kid. I am glad that my own kid is competent and could outgrow me like that. I imagine that my kid's teachers would be uncomfortable when they were rightly corrected by a little kid in similar fashion.

You can judge a person as good or bad. You can judge a person as friendly or unfriendly. I think Truong's generation and his strong link with the Viet culture (most of his customers are Viet who respect teachers a lot) make him what he is. Some people like his style. Some hate his style. Some are jealous of his success. But at the end of the day, you don't have to like some one. However you need to judge a person fairly for his contribution (against what he takes such as payment or demand of respect). To this end I would say that if Truong respects his students as individuals and does not expect his students to LIKE him, then he's alright. We all have flaws. Unless the flaws are really unacceptable, we should overlook them.

One of my nieces are still going to Truong's place. Her father told me that Truong got tough recently and expelled students who did not pay in time (and did not talking to him). He expelled kids if the the parents violated parking laws and caused the council officers to talk to him. Knowing the Asian culture, I feel that this kind of tough action affect the kids a lot because some of the parents will take it out on the kids. If he employs some one to work on this and mediate it would be better. It certainly sends a message "Now that I am successful and rich, you all need me. I don't care any more". It's not necessarily true of Truong. But this is the attitude universally disliked among all cultures. It's too easy for a person like me to say negative things because I never need his services. That's why I think one should be fair and try allow for things.
It really depends on your definition of being a 'nice' teacher. In my opinion, Sir is a pretty nice teacher. I am not one of his brightest students, but he still treats me well because he knows that I try. He often asks me 'if I have a problem' understanding this or if I need anything to be clarified and usually I don't but when I do - I freely ask and he takes the time to explain it to me. To me - that is what defines a good teacher.

Also Sir is pretty friendly towards his students. He often jokes around and every lesson he talks to us about stuff irrelevant to the lesson - for example the soccer. He is mainly strict when it is time for us to learn and when he's explaining because it is vital we concentrate so we understand the concepts.

In the end, I do think Sir shows his students respect. I'll use the bowing as an example. In the Vietnamese culture - when you bow to an elder, you're not expecting to be greeted back. However when we bow to sir, he greets us back - either saying a simple goodbye, see you later, or a more personalised farewell. Also he has told us if we have any problems, whether academic or life - we can feel free to call him and talk to him about it.

That's just my opinion on Truong, and I thought I'd give my perspective.

Also with the fee thing, that does not sound like something Sir would do. He is usually pretty relaxed with fees, often giving free/discounted classes if you're under financial difficulties. With the parking, he's strict on that mainly because we were asked to leave our Canley Vale location because of parents and their neglegence when it comes to road rules - so he's strict on them because he doesn't want to upset our Fairfield neighbours.

Last edited by a moderator:

mandy-lee

HSC

Just putting my 2 cents in, I realise there's a lot of controversy over Truong's teaching methods, his personality and his values but the bottom line is

it's your hsc.
YOU ultimately decide how well you'll go;
tutor's are just there to help you, not get that UAI for you.

If you go to Ngo and Sons and you fail, that's YOUR problem, don't go bad mouthing his tutoring college (which, mind you, he's spent MANY MANY years building) to other people to make yourself feel better about your bad time management.​

I'm currently in Year 12 at Baulkham Hills High, I started tutoring at Truong's centre in Year 9 while I was at Girraween High School. At Girra my maths was so so, I got 80s and the odd 90. After I began applying Truong's methods, doing his homework and concentrating in class, I made my way to the top class and (against the odds) managed to get into Baulkham Hills. (FYI, i got 19% in one of my tests at truong LOL)
I admit, I was FREAKING scared to go to his classes but my sister who aced maths in the hsc swore by his methods and ended up doing really well. I'm so glad I took that risk because it has seriously paid off in my marks. (It takes me 2 hours to get there after school - massive sacrifice in HSC year)
I've personally never been yelled at by Truong but yes, I've heard stories (Haven't we all?) But what happens with stories is, there's little glitches that happen in the retelling. People want to make those stories that LITTLE bit more entertaining by adding an extra "fuck", an over exxageration of his tone of voice, etc. Also, there is always a reason behind him "blowing up," if you're not respectful towards your elders then you deserve to be yelled at! He's a great guy, an excellent teacher and REALLY nice!
So yes, I recommend people to go to Truong if you're willing to dedicate yourself to your studies.​

OH
and about the uni students teaching, they have to follow set plans made up by Truong himself. This lessens the stress on Truong (who's actually a doctor by day) and produces the same results in his students because obviously these ex students did well through following his methods.​

AND it's $25 bucks a lesson, who could argue with that? :)

Last edited:

littleyam

HSC

towards this thread, there have been many post defending Ngo's and sons, showing the he is a great tutor. I have to say so to, i didn't do well in the entrance exam - really poor (i think < 50%) but he still accepted me because i was willing to learn. My marks went from the 50% range to > 90%. I use to think that i would do 2 unit maths because of my poor marks that i have been getting but after going troung, my marks shots up and now im doing 4unit. Isnt it amazing? Plus, i am a female student and asks him alot of questions and he even told me i was annoying and cause trouble but still answers my question even though it is quite obvious. Thus, he is not sexist as he has complimented my before he just jokes around.

Some of my friends got rejected or expelled too, I sympathise for them but its one's determination that gets you through the HSC like "mandy-lee" said.

Even though, you may have many opinions about him, but i dont that your opinions or view matter because you have not:
1. been to his class or spoken to him
2. Sometimes people can exaggerate things like your niece maybe because she's still young and may not remember exactly what happened
3. As your perspectives are based upon "other" people view that may have been rejected and are angry about it or expelled.
4. It can be one's fault for not self-studying well enough because sir always says after to you write down the theory go home and revise.
5. Sir always encourage students to ask questions (He wants people to ask) because he always, repetitively ask do you have any question? is there anything you dont understand?
6. He is very kind and give a lending hand because he cares for his students - this is evident because he is always free to talk to HSC students having problems
7. your opinions is simply invaild

I'm sorry if i have offended you in anyway but this what i honestly feel about sir because he has helped me improve in maths and made me a better person. I'm sure some students could of turned out to be gansters but they didnt thanks to him.

<3 littleyam
P.S. hey "mandy-lee" * the-derivative - - - -- - - -- hugs

I hope my comments helped your understanding of Ngo and sons!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

I heard they don't offer 2 unit Maths, just Ext1 and Ext2...is this true?

SWSydneytutor

HSC

Some of my friends went to Truong's. Some improved immensely, but some suffered greatly and would be on the brink of tears before even entering class, such was the extent of their humiliation.

Good sides and bad sides to everybody, guys.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

I heard they don't offer 2 unit Maths, just Ext1 and Ext2...is this true?
Yeah this is true. Sir only teaches MX1 and MX2.
However most of his students from Years 7-10 develop mathematical skills which allow them to be capable of at least MX1.

I remember in Year 9 I thought I was going to do 2U mathematics, now I'm doing 4u.

towards this thread, there have been many post defending Ngo's and sons, showing the he is a great tutor. I have to say so to, i didn't do well in the entrance exam - really poor (i think < 50%) but he still accepted me because i was willing to learn. My marks went from the 50% range to > 90%. I use to think that i would do 2 unit maths because of my poor marks that i have been getting but after going troung, my marks shots up and now im doing 4unit. Isnt it amazing? Plus, i am a female student and asks him alot of questions and he even told me i was annoying and cause trouble but still answers my question even though it is quite obvious. Thus, he is not sexist as he has complimented my before he just jokes around.

Some of my friends got rejected or expelled too, I sympathise for them but its one's determination that gets you through the HSC like "mandy-lee" said.

Even though, you may have many opinions about him, but i dont that your opinions or view matter because you have not:
2. Sometimes people can exaggerate things like your niece maybe because she's still young and may not remember exactly what happened
3. As your perspectives are based upon "other" people view that may have been rejected and are angry about it or expelled.
4. It can be one's fault for not self-studying well enough because sir always says after to you write down the theory go home and revise.
5. Sir always encourage students to ask questions (He wants people to ask) because he always, repetitively ask do you have any question? is there anything you dont understand?
6. He is very kind and give a lending hand because he cares for his students - this is evident because he is always free to talk to HSC students having problems

I'm sorry if i have offended you in anyway but this what i honestly feel about sir because he has helped me improve in maths and made me a better person. I'm sure some students could of turned out to be gansters but they didnt thanks to him.

<3 littleyam

Lily you're on BOS :p

*hugs littleyam back*

oasfree

HSC
N/A

<3 littleyam

I don't have personal experience with Truong. I always said that he looked like doing very well and very good at what he was doing. I am 1/2 a generation older than him and we do very well ourselves. I would never have personal experience with tutors because my kid is always at or near top of every class (as I was used to be when I was young). I accept that my opinions may sound "negative" to tutors as I would never have any need for their services. My nieces are not that fortunate. They went to various coaching places and Truong was one of them. I did not like some of the things I heard but I fully understand that a business does not have to please every one. I don't have any problem with tutors but I wish they don't force kids to rely too much hardwork to succeed. I don't like it I look at the amount of home work they force on the kids and threaten to expell the kids if they don't complete the homework on regular basis. In fact, when my niece did not do school homework because she had to complete coaching homework, her public school called the parents in and demanded to know why she did not do school homework. The burden of school homework and coaching homework (which is often 3 times the amount of school homework) look unbearable on the kids.

Aussies are right when they comlain against havign 30 in a class and the massive homework load. That's what called cramping. And it's purely designed for kids to get past the gate of Universities. Once inside, many are lost as to how to continue. I think it would be better to have a balance of hardwork and creativity.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

I don't have personal experience with Truong. I always said that he looked like doing very well and very good at what he was doing. I am 1/2 a generation older than him and we do very well ourselves. I would never have personal experience with tutors because my kid is always at or near top of every class (as I was used to be when I was young). I accept that my opinions may sound "negative" to tutors as I would never have any need for their services. My nieces are not that fortunate. They went to various coaching places and Truong was one of them. I did not like some of the things I heard but I fully understand that a business does not have to please every one. I don't have any problem with tutors but I wish they don't force kids to rely too much hardwork to succeed. I don't like it I look at the amount of home work they force on the kids and threaten to expell the kids if they don't complete the homework on regular basis. In fact, when my niece did not do school homework because she had to complete coaching homework, her public school called the parents in and demanded to know why she did not do school homework. The burden of school homework and coaching homework (which is often 3 times the amount of school homework) look unbearable on the kids.

Aussies are right when they comlain against havign 30 in a class and the massive homework load. That's what called cramping. And it's purely designed for kids to get past the gate of Universities. Once inside, many are lost as to how to continue. I think it would be better to have a balance of hardwork and creativity.
I know I've been posting on this thread for quite a bit, but there are just some points which I want to respond to. A lot of people, not just you, complain on how tutors force you to do their homework and not school work. That's a complete lie. Tutoring is additional homework to supplement, not replace school work.

I don't know about other tutors, but Truong definitely cares about the work and expectations set by the school. If a student has too much school homework and is unable to complete it - they do not get expelled, as long as the parents call Sir. That is one of the first things he said - however I've always managed to find the time to complete it. Also when we have exams, Sir doesn't give us homework.

Lastly, with your statement about students coping in University. Just because a student has a tutor during high school - doesn't mean that we will not be able to cope. If you didn't know - our tutoring is actually called 'Ngo and Sons Coaching Academy' and as the name suggests, we're not really a tutition - therefore we don't get spoonfed like other tutors. We are actually expected to try and develop an understanding. Also with your use of the term 'Aussie'. Firstly, we are all equally Australian. Secondly, not everyone in our tutoring centre is Vietnamese - we're mixed and that includes 'Aussies'.

kevinngo

HSC

I know I've been posting on this thread for quite a bit, but there are just some points which I want to respond to. A lot of people, not just you, complain on how tutors force you to do their homework and not school work. That's a complete lie. Tutoring is additional homework to supplement, not replace school work.

I don't know about other tutors, but Truong definitely cares about the work and expectations set by the school. If a student has too much school homework and is unable to complete it - they do not get expelled, as long as the parents call Sir. That is one of the first things he said - however I've always managed to find the time to complete it. Also when we have exams, Sir doesn't give us homework.

Lastly, with your statement about students coping in University. Just because a student has a tutor during high school - doesn't mean that we will not be able to cope. If you didn't know - our tutoring is actually called 'Ngo and Sons Coaching Academy' and as the name suggests, we're not really a tutition - therefore we don't get spoonfed like other tutors. We are actually expected to try and develop an understanding. Also with your use of the term 'Aussie'. Firstly, we are all equally Australian. Secondly, not everyone in our tutoring centre is Vietnamese - we're mixed and that includes 'Aussies'.

Its true we do have Caucasian people in our tutoring centre. What you learn from the Academy is the respect and discipline, which you don't find often in the world today. It is easily noticeable to compare a 'Truong Student' in comparison to another ordinary person. If you look around in the world today most children don't show and respect what so ever to their parents. By going to the Academy, this crucial human skill is learnt.

To sum it up theirs nothing wrong about going to "truong". The amount of homework given to us is not too much for us too handle. If you can't cope with the amount of homework you get now, then how do you think its possible for someone to cope with the load given at uni?. Basically what "Truong" wants to aim for, is too bring the best education for your kids and prepare them for the future.

Isn't that what we all want ? A better future

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)