Trying to buy a new camera phone (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hmmm, I'm not sure what a good brand of camera phone is--I've seen people walk around with those pink, really thin Motorolas, but Nokia is known to be a good brand. I've been flipping through some ads and I'm guessing that $200-300 is the market price for a camera phone? Of course, being a cheapskate, I want the cheapest price (within reasonable value), and it seems that the Nokia 6101 camera phone with Vodafone at $149 is quite good value? The other thing I had my eye on was the aforementioned pink Motorola (not that I really like pink, but oh well)--V3 RAZR with Optus on it. and btw, can you get other colour versions of that? (it's just the pink one is everywhere) (pictures enclosed)

And is it true you can insert some memory cards into camera phones? If so, are they usually SD memory cards? I want to buy a memory card for my camera but it'd be nice not to have to drag a camera everywhere, but I don't want a camera phone that has inbuilt memory for like a teensy 10 photos, when I can simply insert a memory card in. And lastly, are there any other cameras you'd recommend, taht are reasonable in price and would also take good photos?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
The cameras in those phones are not very good. Both are VGA and no replacement for an actual digi camera. It's ok for taking random fun shots but not good for prints and special occasions.

Neither have slots for memory expansion either as far as I can remember.

CHeck out Motorola V3i. I've been after that one for aaaaages but I'm too cheap to fork out hundreds just for a phone.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Motoroal v3i--that looks funky. How much is it? I'm in need of a new phone (wouldn't call it desperate but getting there....) because my phone's battery is stuffing up (as a 5 year old phone would do), and I'm getting to the stage where I just can't get by without SMSing because of the volume of SMSes I'm getting (my phone won't SMS). So I thought, hmmm, these new camera phones look good. If I use these camera phones, it'd just be for fun random shots, not really anything special, but obviously if the phone can take good shots, why not.

Also, what about those Nokia phones which have camera, video and mp3 functions on them? My friend has one of them, the Nokia 1121 or something (making that number up cos I can't remember). She bought it for $250 when it first came out (2 years ago?) and says the mp3 quality is crap, but because it's now, the function may have improved.

Which phone maker, overall, though, is the best? Motorola, Nokia or something else?

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
If u want to get a decent phone increase your price range.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Google around for examples in differences in the pictures taken with different cameras.

lala2

Banned
HSC
What sort of price range would net me a decent phone?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Depends on what you think is "decent". In my opinion somewhere 350 - 475 range?

yosemite sam

HSC
the V3i is somewhere between 500 and 700 dollars...i have a V3 RAZR (the ones you keep seeing in pink) but mine is black. they come in silver too, and sometimes you can get them in white. mines on optus and you can get them for $199. the camera on it is pretty good, it zooms in to 4x and you can change the exposure. its really easy to use as well, you dont have to search around to find what youre looking for, its all right there. i love it

lala2

Banned
HSC
So if it's a choice between Motorola and Nokia, which in general produces better camera phonse? I think Nokia is pretty good just as a general phone maker but the Motorola camera phones seem to give the Nokia ones a run for their money.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Do not purchase a Motorola.

If you want imaging, you buy a Sony Erricsson. Trust me.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
nokia's are also decent as well
you can get a sony ericsson between $350-$430 from ebay, or a nokia 5300 with a 1.3 mp camera for $250-$300
but yes, if you want a good decent phone, you have to increase your price range

sladehk

le random
HSC
get the se w810i = i got it for like 300

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Pfft.

Just get a digital camera and keep the shitty old phone.
I'm waiting until a good quality camera comes out on a phone before I even consider buying one.

The phone I have now (Samsung D500) has a camera in it but the quality is so bad it's not even worth it.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I threw away my old camera because my Nokia phone camera kicks its arse- but it's well out of your price range (think $800+)

B35tY

HSC
What you got? n90, n73 or n93 I'd imagine. Though i dunno if you'd get the last one for $800.

Still waitin' on a new music smartphone from Nokia. N91 has a shit screen.

CieL

HSC
mr_brightside said:
Do not purchase a Motorola.

If you want imaging, you buy a Sony Erricsson. Trust me.
I second that.

When I bought my Sony Ericsson w800i 2yrs ago, it WAS the camera phone with the best quality camera and screen.. but then again, I did pay close to $800 for it.. and it held up for like 9months or so until the 3.2mp SE came out..

I ditched my digital camera as I bought that when they first came out at 2MP.. not to mention my w800i came with a 1GB card that is upgradable to 2GB.. and even on my current 1GB card I've got around 800 pics on my phone atm, plus loads of mp3s, and sms's..

Dont buy the V3.. shit camera [blurry/grainy/total shit in the dark] with shit functions [next to none]

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
on the budget front i am cosidering the NOkia 6300 (new and slim), 6288 (chunky but 3g) and the Samsung D900i (new version of an old model)

the nokia's sport a 2megapixel camera, and the samsung a 3.13megapixel. all of which are available on a Virgin $30 cap plan, (6288 with a $4 a month excess)

CieL

HSC
I dont know about the new samsungs, but the old ones pretty much could only call, sms, and calendar..

Between the two brands, I'd go for Nokia.

A 2MP camera is more than enough for normal use.. as you gotta consider that the higher the MP, higher memory usage if you use the best quality.. and the 6300 only has a 128mb microSD.. dont know if that's enough, but it wont last me long.. and I'm not sure how many mb/gb you can upgrade to, but I bought a 1gb microSD recently on ebay and it didnt cost me much..shutter sound can be disabled, so you can take pics of girls in toilets.. jkz..

My parents bought the 6288 and it wasn't that great.. within the first two weeks, the software screwed up already and we had to take it back to get it flashed.. but then again, it's the first time out of several phones we've had that's screwed up.. and other people with the same phone hasn't had problems..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)