• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

trying to score a job in a cafe environment (1 Viewer)

jisu

HSC
-every- single ad i see in the hospitality department, there's always the phrases

experience preferred
experience need only apply
experience essential

where the heck is someone supposed to start?
do u guys think those 1/2 day coffee ($110) and waitering courses ($125) are worth it?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Do you have any work experience at all?

There are places that offer no hospitality experience as a counterhand. I for one moved from administration to counterhand and went up to barista.

Instead of browsing newspapers, how about you go to cafes personally and present yourself. I always find being there in the first place a far more better impression than a mediocre resume that I'm assuming you probably have.

I think getting your RSA might be a good start. Those coffee and waitering courses sound like crap. In fact, my job paid me to do the coffee course and I learnt very little that was new, just seemed like a formality rather than a necessity. You'll be wasting your money. If anything, get an RSA.

jisu

HSC
can u give me some examples of those places

i've worked for woolworths for just over a year now (and counting) in longlife nightfilling.

now that i've finished tafe for the year i wanna get a dayjob until tafe starts again next year.

so far i've been to 3 places personally, and they're just holding my resume, probably in the suggestion box (bin)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
jisu said:
can u give me some examples of those places

i've worked for woolworths for just over a year now (and counting) in longlife nightfilling.

now that i've finished tafe for the year i wanna get a dayjob until tafe starts again next year.

so far i've been to 3 places personally, and they're just holding my resume, probably in the suggestion box (bin)
I can't "name" places, you're probably better off having 50 copies of your resume and physically walking to every nearby cafe, politely asking for the manager, greeting them confidently and talking about any positions available. And then always (even if there arent any positions available yet) give them a resume. You could say that if something pops up in the future, you'd like to be considered.

To tell you the truth, this time of the year is by far the hardest time to get a job. You're competing with Year 12 leavers, uni students that have 4 months off and every other person who needs extra money for Christmas. Companies that were worried about how to handle Christmas had started hiring in September and had places filled. You'll need to try hard and put some extra effort in.

jisu

HSC
i'd say sometime during december is the hardest, as most school leavers would b preparing for formals/schoolies etc.

but yes i do need to put in extra effort, i'll keep looking and poking; something's gotta give eventually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)