TSP for advanced Science worth it? (1 Viewer)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey so I just got my HSC results and atar and I went on my UNSW guaranteed entry page and it said that I'm invited by the dean of science to the tsp (talented student program) is this program any good? Any info would be appreciated

HSC
N/A
I guess it helps a little bit, from what I hear its not a scholarship or anything, but it allows you talk to lecturers and higher year students about what you wanna do at uni

EMKsquared

HSC
Yeah I've heard really good feedback, and it can't hurt to try. What are you interested in doing might see you there next year?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh ok thanks guys. I'm thinking of doing advanced science major in chemistry or physics

D94

HSC
N/A
Oh ok thanks guys. I'm thinking of doing advanced science major in chemistry or physics
Assuming further Research is a potential career path, having connections from the TSP would certainly be beneficial.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Assuming further Research is a potential career path, having connections from the TSP would certainly be beneficial.
Thanks for the info. I think I will accept the offer sounds like a good way to access jobs in science fields.

EMKsquared

HSC
If you do physics I'll be seeeing you next year. Good luck with your studies☺☺

dasfas

HSC
about 4 years later and I’m in the same boat as you. how did TSP turn out?
TSP (now known as dalyell) is actually good for science research. I'm planning on doing some computational genomics stuff next sem and there's no way I'd otherwise be able to get that sort of experience before honours if I wasn't part of dalyell. I'd highly recommend making the most of the research units they offer

idkkdi

HSC
TSP (now known as dalyell) is actually good for science research. I'm planning on doing some computational genomics stuff next sem and there's no way I'd otherwise be able to get that sort of experience before honours if I wasn't part of dalyell. I'd highly recommend making the most of the research units they offer
dalyell's usyd isnt it?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
about 4 years later and I’m in the same boat as you. how did TSP turn out?
Tbh after first year I never really did anything with it. Largely because I live quite far from unsw so travelling 2 hours each way to go to the uni to do some extra TSP stuff wasn’t really worth it to me. Also, I was really busy with my uni course, trying to manage my own tutoring business and I already had lots of actual research experience outside TSP as I found a supervisor in like my 2nd year at uni who let me do a bunch of paid research activities over the 2nd year and 3rd year of my degree in the holidays at uni

From what I experienced of it, it’s quite useful for making friends and meeting lecturers and getting connections if you are willing to put in that effort. It could also lead to research opportunities where you do short projects with a lecturer at the uni (but this kind of like you need to show the initiative and ask them for it. Like I did without the TSP for the supervisor I found). Like most things at uni no one will tell you to do something as everyone is busy with their own stuff and so if you don’t put in the effort like me then it’s not really useful, so it will all come down to if you are motivated to be engaged with the program

But like I said above TSP is not the only way to actually get some useful experience. If you have the marks and passion most uni lecturers if you ask them might let you do some work

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It is true that these kinds of programs can be helpful in finding some early research experience. However, when you say you couldn’t do it without Dayell (or the same version of TSP at unsw) it’s not entirely true. A lot of the unis offer summer research scholarships that are paid that you can apply for even if you are not a student of that uni. If you’re not aware of that I would try apply for those if you are in the position of meeting the marks requirements (usually like a high distinction wam and good written application). You can do those scholarships usually 2nd year onwards. That by far for me I found was may more useful than any program the uni offers for high school students joining as you get to specifically choose the supervisor you want to work with and you can do some research that contributes to a scientific paper

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
phys harder than chem by a lot confirmed.
hahaha nah I didn’t drop it for that reason (I actually did better in physics at the beginning). It was cause doing 2 sciences was too much in terms of having labs for both which in 2nd year onward can be around 3-4 hours per subject, so I tried one sem where I did 3 subjects and I had 11 hours of labs it was absolutely screwed because of the length and also you have to submit something weekly for each course on top ofall the other assignments and tests you will have to do. Because of that I switched physics to maths, so it was more cause of time rather than how much I liked or performed in the subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)