Tuition Hours per Week (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
I'm kind of suprised by the amount of time people spend with tutors. I dont think its a bad thing, but an overreliance on tutors isnt such a good thing when you get to uni.

HSC
0, i think it's a waste of money

$30/hr and some people here are getting 7 hrs a week... that's $210 a week for work you can do at home

complete waste of money (unless you're REALLY dumb and need the extra attention)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm kind of suprised by the amount of time people spend with tutors. I dont think its a bad thing, but an overreliance on tutors isnt such a good thing when you get to uni.
Really depends on how many subjects you are tutored for.

Like pretend you do 6 subjects, you get tutoring for 3 of them but self-study for the other 3.
The self-study you do for the other 3 in a sense allows you to develop any skills you'll need for university and the workforce.

Usually, what you get tutoring for are subjects that you are not naturally good at and require further help outside of school.
The only problem is if you get tutoring for ALL of your subjects then over-reliance on tutors will be a major issue.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
0, i think it's a waste of money

$30/hr and some people here are getting 7 hrs a week... that's $210 a week for work you can do at home

complete waste of money (unless you're REALLY dumb and need the extra attention)
I don't think 'dumb' is really the best word there.

eat_well

HSC
I usually tutor 4 hours a week for 3 subjects. I go for maths, english and physics.
I agree that you can do the work on your own but I was absolutely hopeless at physics. I was dangerously close to the bottom last year and could not understand the explanations from my textbook no matter how often I read them. In all honestly, I did try and do it without a tutor but I think for a lot of people, when it comes to subjects that test for understanding rather than memory, they are in a desperate situation and will do all that's in their power to cope with the content.

This by no means conveys that having a tutor automatically enhances your mark. I still work extremely hard at tutoring and it shows in the improvement of my marks.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Completing the HSC is like dragging one of those 20kg rice bags from point A to B.

All that tutoring does is add wheels to the rice bag, so dragging it is easier.

HOWEVER, that bag ain't gonna move itself. We just added wheels, but that doesn't mean that the bag is going to get there with 0 effort.

Thief

!!
HSC
Completing the HSC is like dragging one of those 20kg rice bags from point A to B.

All that tutoring does is add wheels to the rice bag, so dragging it is easier.

HOWEVER, that bag ain't gonna move itself. We just added wheels, but that doesn't mean that the bag is going to get there with 0 effort.
It would if the bag was on a hill? :p

Eg155

HSC
I've never had a tutor that has taught me something that I could not just read from the textbook, do work on and ask my teacher for further assistance if needed.
I have looked for tutors but I feel that they never help properly.If only school teachers were allowed to tutor students outside school...
So now and probably for the HSC 0 hours for me.

HSC
I don't think 'dumb' is really the best word there.
not really... if you can spell the word 'car' you shouldn't be receiving tutoring

$200/week goes for like 10k/year which is an absolute joke

this site/teachers should be enough help, maybe an occasional tutoring session here and there... anything more shouldn't happen

but hey my parents/me aren't rich so i guess i might be a little disgruntled with the amount of $$ people spend on tuition

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad
not really... if you can spell the word 'car' you shouldn't be receiving tutoring

$200/week goes for like 10k/year which is an absolute joke

this site/teachers should be enough help, maybe an occasional tutoring session here and there... anything more shouldn't happen

but hey my parents/me aren't rich so i guess i might be a little disgruntled with the amount of $$ people spend on tuition
Some poor families do their best to allow their children to go to tutoring so it doesn't apply to just rich families.

jusydoodle

HSC
Believe it or not, but I used to do 13-14hrs/per week. It was crazy.

HSC
Some poor families do their best to allow their children to go to tutoring so it doesn't apply to just rich families.
yes they do and is it worth it? no

the amount of money is not worth the return, just like a mac... or a private jet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)