Tutoring - all advertise here (1 Viewer)

theaussieinhk

HSC
Hi Guys,

If you want to advertise your tutoring services (all majors), please feel free to advertise here so students can just look up this thread.

Subjects I can tutor: ACCG 100, 101, 106, 308 and 340
Qualifications:
B Business Administration and B Commerce (Accounting) graduate (Macquarie)
Certificate in Management (Harvard Business School)
Short courses in Entrepreneurship and Game Theory (Stanford)
Currently working in Big 4 accounting firm (Audit)
Undertaking professional qualification in Chartered Accounting (GradDipCA)
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) scholarship recipient
Location for tutoring: Saturday or Sunday at Macquarie Uni Library (please understand I have work on week days)
Cost: $40 for 50 min

Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I have never seen anybody charge per 50 minutes.

Also, I think people wanting to advertise their services would make their own thread about it, rather than posting on some random's thread.

michaeljennings

HSC

Also, I think people wanting to advertise their services would make their own thread about it, rather than posting on some random's thread.
+1, the per 50 minutes is kinda odd lol

theaussieinhk

HSC

The 50 min bit = the aim is to tutor a student one after another. As it takes time to answer last minute questions, some time for the student to pack up and then meet the next student etc... I don't want to charge the current student these times when I am not actually tutoring them. I think its more fair to be upfront about this.

Yep, some people feel like they should make their own thread and I respect that. I was just thinking from my perspective, if I was looking for a tutor, I would prefer to have all the tutors posting on the one thread.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Hi Guys,

If you want to advertise your tutoring services (all majors), please feel free to advertise here so students can just look up this thread.

Subjects I can tutor: ACCG 100, 101, 106, 308 and 340
Qualifications: BBA/Accounting graduate, working in Big 4 (Audit), completing my CA, DFAT scholarship recipient, PAL Leader for 5 semesters (teaching ACCG 100, 101 and 106) at Mac Uni and I have received positive feedback from students on my teaching. I have study material from my work that I can give to those studying 308 and 340.
Location for tutoring: Saturday or Sunday at Macquarie Uni Library (please understand I have work on week days)

Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!
How do you find the time between full-time work and your CA for tutoring? Thoroughly impressed.

theaussieinhk

HSC
How do you find the time between full-time work and your CA for tutoring? Thoroughly impressed.
Thanks mate, I am used to juggling a lot of things... uni was a good training ground to multitask. Not trying to be lame, but I love teaching and I really miss it. Looking at other tutoring websites and what tutors are charging, my rate is quite low. I won't be taking too many students (with preference given to those that work hard and really want to do well in the subject)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The 50 min bit = the aim is to tutor a student one after another. As it takes time to answer last minute questions, some time for the student to pack up and then meet the next student etc... I don't want to charge the current student these times when I am not actually tutoring them. I think its more fair to be upfront about this.
This is what differentiates tutors who care, and tutors who are in it for the money.

With my students, I almost always go overtime by 15 minutes or more. Sometimes even 30 minutes. The reasons include what you mentioned: picking homework, answering last minute questions etc.

I don't care that I go overtime because I love teaching. The student brings along enough for the 2 hour lesson. If I accidentally go overtime 15-20 minutes, bonus for them! I don't mind at all, even though I too keep a very busy lifestyle.

Apologies in advance if I appear demeaning.

theaussieinhk

HSC
This is what differentiates tutors who care, and tutors who are in it for the money.

With my students, I almost always go overtime by 15 minutes or more. Sometimes even 30 minutes. The reasons include what you mentioned: picking homework, answering last minute questions etc.

I don't care that I go overtime because I love teaching. The student brings along enough for the 2 hour lesson. If I accidentally go overtime 15-20 minutes, bonus for them! I don't mind at all, even though I too keep a very busy lifestyle.

Apologies in advance if I appear demeaning.
Hi Carrotsticks, I am not sure if you are implying I would be a tutor that "care" or "are in it for the money"

I think it would be great for the current student if you gave them extra time as a bonus. However, if you had a student who is next in line (or a few students one after another) - I am sure you would not make them wait anymore than 5 min and stick to the time limit (2 hours as you mentioned). This may mean that you start to slowly wrap up (15 min or more - according to your post) to ensure you finish on time for the next student.

I don't see how this is different to what I am doing.... 50 min tutoring and 10 min wrapping up (due to reasons already mentioned - hence around 1 hour in total) so the next student will not have to wait.

Of course, if I had no students waiting, I would not care if I go over time.

As mentioned, my aim is to tutor one student after another and I believe time should be allocated fairly and upfront.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hi Carrotsticks, I am not sure if you are implying I would be a tutor that "care" or "are in it for the money"

I think it would be great for the current student if you gave them extra time as a bonus. However, if you had a student who is next in line (or a few students one after another) - I am sure you would not make them wait anymore than 5 min and stick to the time limit (2 hours as you mentioned). This may mean that you start to slowly wrap up (15 min or more - according to your post) to ensure you finish on time for the next student.

I don't see how this is different to what I am doing.... 50 min tutoring and 10 min wrapping up (due to reasons already mentioned - hence around 1 hour in total) so the next student will not have to wait.

Of course, if I had no students waiting, I would not care if I go over time.

As mentioned, my aim is to tutor one student after another and I believe time should be allocated fairly and upfront.
I often also have one student after the other. Sometimes even up to 8 hours for a day.

However, I never place myself in the situation such that I literally have one student after the other. I always give minimum 15 minutes break for myself.

Suppose I have 4 students in a day, each for 2 hours.

I would organise it as:

2 hrs + 15 mins + 2 hrs + 1 hr + 2 hrs + 30 mins + 2 hrs.

Perhaps you have a different story to me, since your lessons are usually 1 hour long (or 50 minutes as you say).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)