Tutoring? (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on tutoring?

• Tutoring is my life, I have more than 1 tutor.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Casual basis, couple hours a week. I am not a study machine.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I find it really helps my school work. Better off by doing it.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Yeah I go, dont\' really want to be there, parents made me.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Nope never have, never will. Don\'t need too

Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters

asymptote

Originally posted by InfiniteQ

I think my maths tutor's excellent. He checks up on what I've done in my school textbook and makes sure that I am ahead of the class. He will go through any questions I have and then he'll teach me a new topic to go on with. He will also make sure I'm *studying* meaning doing HSC papers etc. and sometimes he'll make a test for me and whilst I do that he'll go through my notebook to make sure I haven't skipped questions or whatever. And at the end of Jan he is holding a 3 hour exam at his place for all the people he teaches so we get a feel of the real thing.
is it a private tutor or group...
wats the cost??
where is it situated?

asymptote

Originally posted by spice girl
hey how are the maths tutors out there? are they worth the money? Do they just brush up on school stuff or do they teach extra stuff that gives u some sort of an edge?

hehe me jus doin a market survey

at pre uni they do extra stuff..

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Well I'm studying adv. maths/commerce at Usyd, so tutoring maths shouldn't be any problem.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by Bon
InfiniteQ, wow! Very good tutor you have there. How much does he cost?

spice girl, my tutor was 30$ for an hour and a half. He'd have a 'quick check' with formulas, first line of problems and 'revision' sheet (questions) for me, targetting what I'd have done in the last week and my weaker areas. I could also ask him for help on particular things if I actually bothered to do work.
I pay $35 an hour which always ends up being an hour and a half ... pretty reasonable considering the fact that he comes home as well.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by asymptote

is it a private tutor or group...
wats the cost??
where is it situated?
It's private tutoring... $35 an hour... he lives in Castle Hill so I guess anywhere around Castle Hill would be ideal.

marsesbars

Originally posted by spice girl
hey how are the maths tutors out there? are they worth the money? Do they just brush up on school stuff or do they teach extra stuff that gives u some sort of an edge?

hehe me jus doin a market survey
Private tutors with a small group have an advantage - they can adapt to your needs and focus on weak areas to improve them. Tutors who teach big classes (say 30, 40 people) can't. I had a class tutor... it was basically like being at school again. The teacher had to teach school stuff, because with a class so big, they couldn't make many assumptions of what people have learnt. So my class tutor just went through the syllaubs, like the school, gave us homework, etc... whereas private tutors don't have to go linearly through the syllabus, they can jump around depending on the student.

Having said that - good class tutors still teach you tricks and give encouragement. You just don't get that personal-ness you do with private tutors.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)