Tutoring (1 Viewer)

me12345

HSC
Hey,
Just wondering, i do 3u maths, and for yrs 7 - 10 prolly ranked 1st- at worst about 5th in every maths test, but this yr ive got a lot of shall i say "international" students, who are about 3-4 years older than me....our class just flies through everything and im way left behind, and for the first time like ever ive found myself at the bottom of the class, leaving questions out in tests and basically im flunking....is it stupid just to get tutoring because "everyone else is" and i havnt got a fighting chance of a good rank?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's stupid to get tutoring 'just because everyone else is', however, if you think you're behind, then I recommend you should. It should be your choice. :)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
you shouldn't do a subject where you're having lots of trouble keeping up. You'll end up with terrible marks, and a subsequently terrible UAI if you can't pull your performance up. Why don't you try switching to something else, or just stick with 2U math?

undalay

HSC
foram said:
you shouldn't do a subject where you're having lots of trouble keeping up. You'll end up with terrible marks, and a subsequently terrible UAI if you can't pull your performance up. Why don't you try switching to something else, or just stick with 2U math?
ow that was so harsh even i felt the burn

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
i was being as euphemistic as i could! it's not one of my strong points.

bored of sc

HSC
me12345 said:
Hey,
Just wondering, i do 3u maths, and for yrs 7 - 10 prolly ranked 1st- at worst about 5th in every maths test, but this yr ive got a lot of shall i say "international" students, who are about 3-4 years older than me....our class just flies through everything and im way left behind, and for the first time like ever ive found myself at the bottom of the class, leaving questions out in tests and basically im flunking....is it stupid just to get tutoring because "everyone else is" and i havnt got a fighting chance of a good rank?
hmmm... that's a hard one

designate more time to extension maths and/or change your study habits to bee more effective and productive (if possible)

also, ask questions in class - ask only 1 or 2 at first - then gradually start asking more till your question asking becomes a commonality :)

the above probably won't work but its worth a shot !

me121

Premium Member
HSC
me12345 said:
Hey,
wow.. you sound like me. lol

i know what you mean. in yr 11 maths for me, there was a large intake of international students who were mostly 3-4 years older than me. at first it was very intimidating, as they all thought they were really smart. most of them thought it was easy. and most of them (but not all) had tutoring.

there was about 60 something people doing ext maths in yr 11, and thoughtout yr 11 (and even yr 12), most of them either dropped out of school altogether, or dropped down to 2u. in the end we had about 25 students doing 3u.

just hang in there. don't be intimidated. soon the work will get harder and you will be in the same boat as everyone else. you don't need tutoring. i never did it and i got 95 in 2u and 47/50 in 3u. if you get a bad mark in an exam, and come near the bottom don't worry. i got crap marks in yr 11, and came near the middle, but i slowly improved (although secretly, i think the others just got worse, but according to einstien either view is valid, lol.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)