Two languages (1 Viewer)

Bob.

HSC
Hey, i'm tossing up the idea of studying two languages in my arts degree. i've only done abit of french and never attempted spanish. reckon it will be too confusing to try and study both? anyone else here do two lanugages?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
No, but I know of people who studied two languages for HSC. I see that it is possible in arts to do two languages but I wouldn't do so.
Reasons why...
#1. Not good at languages
#2. Rather study sociology, music or whatever because I don't know where languages would get me.

It's your choice. If you feel confident, then go ahead.

karoooh

HSC
I'm gonna do French and Chinese. French cos I want to pick it up again after doing it from Yrs 7-10, but didn't do it for the HSC due to clashing timetables, other reasons and because it's spoken in many countries. I picked Chinese because I think it'll be useful to learn an Asian language and I think it'll make it easier for me when I want to learn Japanese in future.

My sister is pretty fluent in French, so she finds Spanish quite easy, IMO. I was planning to pick French and Spanish, but she says that they're pretty similar that you could get confused learning the two. Spanish and Italian are even closer in similarity. Japanese is harder for her cos there're are so many characters to learn.

In saying that, I think you should just do what you want to do, and if it doesn't workout 1st semmester, drop it and pick up something else.

HSC
good luck.. chinese will take u years to master! been studying chinese for years, but i still don't really get it!

off-topic =is it possible to do a language (italian/spanish) without an ARTS degree? im doing commerce law this year and im hoping to squeeze it in.

karoooh

HSC
Which uni are you going to? I know UNSW offers Diplomas in languages, so you could try that. I know Economics offers languages as a major, doesn't Commerce?

HSC
Knowing Chinese isnt going to help you much in japanese. although it means you can understand some of the japanese characters and what they symbolise, but the languages themselves are quite different..its not similar like French and Spanish are, and even they arent that similar. If you want to do Japanese get into it right away, or do korean first, apparently theres some similarities in that.

I dont see why you cant do two languages...i just dont see the point if you haven't done languages in your hsc thats all. you're going to be doing beginners level when you start and are going to have to work your way up. its a bit of a risk right, no real grounding (junior level languages is not grounding), and really when your career prospects rely on knowledge of languages, without background... oh and learning one language is hard enough, learning two would be even harder....

lilou

HSC
studying two languages is definately realistic!! I spent a year in France doing high school (half year 11, half year 12) All of my French friends studied AT LEAST two languages (if not three..plus latin or greek!).
In Australia, we do not have as much of an emphasis on studying multiple languages at a high school level...but this is strabge compared to European countries. Language degrees that I considered studying in Paris and elsewhere in France all REQUIRED the study of at least TWO languages!!
I'm sure you'll be fine...and if not you can always drop back to just one language!
btw...i would definately advise you to participate in study abroad whilst at uni..it's the only way you'll develop real fluency in either language!!
Good luck!!

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I think you should really decide according to how useful they would be when you leave uni. I personally love to do two languages but then realised that the chance of me ever using French is pretty slim and I already have a good understanding of Chinese. I don't think I need a very high level for an oversea job.

Com/Law does not offer additional electives for a language major. It might be possible to squeeze some elective in but they are hardly enough to get you started. Modern language can only be picked as a co-major in Commerce, which only allows you single major under Com/Law.

Bob.

HSC
its not really going to help me in an employment sense but ive always loved learning languages and regret giving up french. i just need art subjects because ill be taking all the sociology and psychology units i can and i thought learning french and spanish would be a good thing to learn for later in life when travelling through europe and south america.

HSC
I'm not sure how handy Spanish will be in South America...but French is handier than Spanish in Europe...and probably more useful than Spanish will be in South America. So if you had to choose one, I say pick French.

L

littlewing69

watatank said:
I'm not sure how handy Spanish will be in South America...but French is handier than Spanish in Europe...and probably more useful than Spanish will be in South America. So if you had to choose one, I say pick French.

????

HSC
Hmmm I think i was answering two posts at once and came out with that....

I thought that the threadmaker would probably be able to study one language if that was an elective for an arts degree....and if that were the case you would have to choose one language.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I asked the lady at UNSW, they say Spanish is by far the most widely spoken European language. It did surprised me a bit. I always thought it is French. :p

I think you can do languages for electives, not sure how far you can go with them though. The lady told me you should be able to do basic communication by the end of a major.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Nope, English is the most widely spoken European language.

What the hell is "basic communication by the end of the major"?

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Like "hi" & "bye", "my name is "...yadidadida..
I asked if it's good enough to get a job overseas, she said "if you work really hard and go exchange for a year"

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Don't expect to speak like a native. You know all those people who live here but weren't born here and only speak basic English? it's like that.
I wouldn't say a major will produce that bad a quality of understanding. If you practice and make friends who speak said language natively, you will find yourself with a decent level by the end of the major. Definitely enough to get by everyday life in the country, and for conversational purposes. Remember, though, language learning is a lifelong thing. Much like in English, you'll come across words you don't know.

When I did my Japanese major, we had to take a subject on Japanese economics. While I could translate the words from Japanese into English, I still didn't understand the English words. Sometimes you'll find yourself in that situation.

HSC
mitsui said:
I asked the lady at UNSW, they say Spanish is by far the most widely spoken European language. It did surprised me a bit. I always thought it is French. :p
Wow I must say that is quite surprising I always assumed that too :p

Bob.

HSC
Spanish is the 4th most spoken language in the world, French is the 10th. The the poster who said that spanish wouldnt be useful in south america, spain like conquered most of south america with portugal, Everywhere in south america they speak spanish or portugese.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Not in every country.
Guyana (heard of that country?) speaks English mainly.
Suriname speaks Dutch and French Guinea speaks French.
They are still held by their colonising mothers. I'm not 100% sure on that so I may have to check that one up.

Also, Spanish is the 3rd most widely spoken language but 3rd or 4th depending on how you classify Hindi.

sxcnerdgirl

Aussie Aussie Aussie
HSC
I studied two languages for the HSC (Japanese and Italian) and i am continuing them both in an arts (M&C) degree at UNSW. I have to do italian cross-institutionally with the university of sydney but i love learning languages so what can you do. Its an awesome feeling knowing that u can understand and communicate in another language whilst in another country - even if its only basic communication.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)