Typing vs writing notes (1 Viewer)

madharris

HSC
N/A
I usually write up my notes, then I type it or scan it onto the computer (incase something happens to the original)

Writing is a lot more effective in remembering so I write it 1st but then typing is just so much better for formatting and tidiness (I have pretty crap writing after an hour)

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I think writing them is the way to go in terms of memorising it, however that comes with my notes looking like shit because my handwriting is pathetic :/

Levity

HSC
I find using the computer to take notes is too distracting and I usually end up playing games. I write my notes because the HSC will be in writing and its easier to memorise.

HSC
I actually started typing up my PD notes, but then I just started handwriting them off the computer. So now I'm just typing up everything on each section then summarising when I handwrite.

I think sometimes handwriting notes is better, esp in science when you copy and paste diagrams, you don't really 'learn' what the diagram is, or at least I was too lazy too. Writing up notes means you actually have to draw out the diagram + I feel like I did more work than if I did it on the computer. =D

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Typed notes for hsie subjects and written notes for maths. However if i'm constructing an essay plan I like to write those up.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Well i prefer to hand write my notes, even though its obviously slower. I think that writing out notes is better for memorising and it gives you a better idea on how much you're writing. E.g. if you include a 4mark question in your notes for practice you would know how much you would be writing in an exam if the same or similar question was asked.

Also i hate looking at typed notes; i dont really feel like i learn anything by typing stuff. It looks plain and makes you look like you've done less work. But thats just my opinion.
Also you shouldn't be memorising stuff for subjects such as phys, chem and economics unless really necessary.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
In class I write semi-neat-semi-messy notes on good quality rhodia pads, tear the paper out and store them in an arch-lever file. Then I re-write my notes using the syllabus in separate notebooks that I always keep at home. These notes are concise and have exactly what I need to know in them and not only is this process excellent for consolidation, but it helps to improve my handwriting.

I think I'd save a huge amount of time if I typed my notes up, but

1. I really like writing by hand (using different coloured pens, making everything look organized and tidy etc),
2. I think I am able to memorize better when writing because, unlike typing, I have to word everything in the best way possible because I can't just back-space it, so a lot more thinking+effort goes into it.
3. I'd use up a lot of printer ink/paper, and of course I'm not made of money!

HUSS EL-MASRI

HSC
Welll do whatever you think is working for you because different people have different ways of studying and remembering things
and when you figure out what is working for you
DO IT :)

crazy_paki123

HSC
writing is WAY better off. You remember easier and you try to rephrase things in your own way. Plus too much time on the computer gives me a head ache and writing it out prepares your hand and your skills under pressure in the HSC

HSC
Writing it is better. I know it takes more time than typing but you get more out of it that's for sure.

katharinetat

HSC
Uni Grad
Also you shouldn't be memorising stuff for subjects such as phys, chem and economics unless really necessary.
Hm, I've studied for chemistry by memorisation though, but that came from already having a deep understanding of the concepts in chemistry. This is only for my chemistry tutor exams though, but my actual school chem exam is tomorrow so I'll see how I go.

katharinetat

HSC
Uni Grad
As for this debate, I honestly prefer writing (if I had time on my hands), I remember I used to study for my exams last minute last year and spent the whole night writing notes. It really does stick into your head. If you're extremely desperate/last minute, typing is the way to go, but really only works if you essentially have the hours to memorise the content after you've written it. I think it just depends on how much time you have on your hands, but generally I prefer writing them.

Green Pup

HSC
I type and read them out aloud or in my head. This helps me memorise pretty much everything.

lilfish79886

HSC
i handwrite my notes it makes it easier if i want to draw and have arrows pointing to things, jot things down in the margin and then as revision i go back and type my notes into OneNote which is basically a digital notebook and i find it helps me organise my written notes better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)