Typing (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Right...

As a 'regular' typer (relatively fast yet with no real knowledge of the proper finger positions and only able to type at a relatively quick speed when watching the keyboard), how long would it take to reach the level of typing where you can type without having to watch the keyboard? I know that nobody can provide a proper answer given that nobody knows of my typing skills and what not, but I was just wondering whether anyone has been through the process that I descibed, just for an idea...

I have one of these cheap 'learn to type' programs lying around somewhere, too ('Times' Learn to Type, I think). Should I stick with that or is there another program that you may recommend?

Edit: What a time to hit 1337 posts, too.

Edit 2: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?threadid=31797&highlight=typing
Eh, it's not the same.

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
it took me approx 4 mths and i can type without even having a glance at the keyboard.... it's all about getting use to it.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I can type without looking, but as soon as I do a mistake, everything screws up.

^___^
HSC
i ocasionally look at the keyboard...

but like what rage said, as soon as i get a little mistake, i had to be careful and make sure i don't make any more mistake, or else everything screws up...

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Just spend day and night on MSN and mIRC and ICQ and the such and you'll be able to type without looking at the keyboard in no time ;)
I just typed out all this without looking and at a blitzing speed :)
I don't really conform to the whole 'middle finger must press these buttons' and all that stuff. For example I use my ring finger on the left shift all the time - I guess the programs tell you to use the pinkie but stuff that.
It's just whatever works for you.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
do you have to look at the keyboard, or can you just look at the screen? coz i find im still not that good at touch typing, although i can do it, but try and slowly progress from looking at the keyboard to looking at the screen.
does that make any sense whatsoever? probably not, but who cares?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
do you have to look at the keyboard, or can you just look at the screen? coz i find im still not that good at touch typing, although i can do it, but try and slowly progress from looking at the keyboard to looking at the screen.
does that make any sense whatsoever? probably not, but who cares?
Well it depends... you see i can touch type, normal words, like most people touch type using net slang... and i mean i always start off at the main keys, i.e. 'F' and 'J', furthermore, i think i type a little faster because of programming a bit every day so yeah... and as mentioned above, i think by now all IM users, would type extremely fast with the amount of time they spend online chatting to people.

RCMasterAA

HSC
For me I can type without looking at the keyboard at all. Sometimes in my head I just pull a word out of the air and 'type' it in my head, imagining where my fingers have to go to type it out - a pretty good sign towards knowing if you're good at touch typing.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
I type pretty fast, but I touch type with my two index fingers. :p
Same. They tried to teach me how to do it properly at college, but I thought 'fuck this, it's quicker my way' and gave up.

I used QuikType or some shit like that.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I look when I first place my hand at the keyboard to make sure it's on the asdfjkl; position, and also look when I have to do symbols like + etc. Other than that, no looking required.

fatmuscle

HSC
i can only 2 finger type when the keyboard is not properly infront of me

but i love typing with all my fingers!

I'm getting used to typing on laptops. It's really... flat

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
http://typera.tk

edit:

Your score: 361 keys per minute ~ 72 words per minute
Language/mode: en
Ranking: That was fast - you can still improve, though.
Comparison: 26% of registered TyperA users using this language have typed a better result; 74% have a lower or equal result.

w00t :p

Last edited:

RCMasterAA

HSC
Did it just then...in the dark...using only the laptop screen reflection as lighting i.e. I couldn't see the keyboard even if I wanted to :D

Your score: 400 keys per minute ~ 80 words per minute
Comparison: 18% of registered TyperA users using this language have typed a better result; 82% have a lower or equal result.

You typed: Art is everything else. It was here first. Every year new names are put onto the branches, but all to no avail. WE're no longer interested in finding out the truth. It was all a dehumanized nightmare. Most of the time I go to sleep without saying goodbye. Nobody else has documentation. How do I do this? IN a bottle, the neck is always at the top. Would it help if I got out and pushed? What light through yonder window breaks? Marriage causes dating problems. Alice felt even more indignant at this suggestion. They are fools that think that wealth or women or strong drink or even drugs can buy the most in effort out of the soul of a man. People who push both buttons should get their wish. I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. I thought my people would grow tired of killing. I you lived today

Mistakes: WE're(We're), IN(In), I(If)

Well done!

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
80 wpm :eek: OMG lol, thats fast, ye i type faster on laptops as well. ;)

HSC
hahha...wOOt
Game over

Your score: 176 keys per minute ~ 35 words per minute
Ranking: Not bad!
Comparison: 78% of registered TyperA users using this language have typed a better result; 22% have a lower or equal result.

You typed: truly, this is the tao of programing. The M-5 computer needed a new power source, the crewman merely for in the way. That's increaditble Is a person who blows up banks an econoclast? That's what she said. I f blue and you din;t know where to go to, Why don't you go where fashion sits, Puttin' on the Ritz. A long memore is the most subversive idea in America. Usually manages to put on socks before shoes. Death is l

Mistakes: truly,(Truly,), tao(Tao), programing.(Programming.), for(got), increaditble(incredible.), I(If), f(you're), din;t(don't), memore(memory)

Well done!

EDIT: wtf???!>!>!?!...80 wpm?...FREAK! :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i type with 2 fingers, most of the time not looking at the board:

Your score: 291 keys per minute ~ 58 words per minute
Ranking: You've got potential.
Comparison: 44% of registered TyperA users using this language have typed a better result; 56% have a lower or equal result.

You typed: Wash she not fair? Old age is too high a price to pay for maturity. Democratic movements for local restraint can only restrain the wouldn't democracies, not the world as a whole. Each man is his own prisoner, in solitary confinement for life. Worked through Beta test. The writer of the letter asked a civil question; attack cats, then only if you can do so with good humpur, good taste, and in such a way that your answer will be courteous as well as responsive. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Be sure it's true, when touy say I love you, To be or not to be. They ysed intimidation. He was handed over to the

Mistakes: Wash(Was), wouldn't(world's), then(then,), humpur,(humor,), touy(you), you,(you.), ysed(used)

Well done!

some of you type really fast, i want to get faster

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Your score: 406 keys per minute ~ 81 words per minute
Comparison: 16% of registered TyperA users using this language have typed a better result; 84% have a lower or equal result.

You typed: We resolve and absolve; But we never dissolve, Since it's out of the question ofr us To bring our committee To end like this ditty, Which stops with a period, thus. If your child simply grows up to be someone who does not use the word collectible as a noun, ytou can consider yourself an unqualified success. To the landlord belongs the doorknobs. If you think nobody cares if you're alove, try missing a couple of car payments. I've always considered statesmen to be more expendable than soldiers. The following morning saw only rubble where there was one a huge structre reaching to the heavens. I can't think wh not. A green hunting cap squeezed the top of the fleshy balloon of a head. The examples cited are real, and the curtational methodotly which produced them is still with us. I got a questions for ya. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-na

Mistakes: ofr(for), ytou(you), alove,(alive,), was(once), one(was), structre(structure), wh(why), methodotly(methodology), questions(question)

Well done!

Blah! This is sssooo not what we type in normal writing. I can type faster. hrm

And guess what? I haven't used a single typing program. :D
Although, to be honest, I've had a computer since the age of 4. I was using modems to connect to Bulletin Boards in America when the internet hadn't arrived in Australia (or wasn't available, whatever). So I've kinda just learned over a period of like 13 years. :)

Its not hard, really. You just start off placing your eight fingers over their proper places, and after that, its all just nature. You get used to it. I'd say you can start typing at 60'ish words a minute easy within a month, depending on how much you type. Just don't look at the keyboard. ^_^

Last edited:

cazaxx

HSC
N/A
i used to always have to look at the keyboard when i typed, but i practised for 2 weeks using a typing tutor called mavis beacon typing tutor...now i type faster. u should try it if ur looking to buy a typing tutor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)