UAC scale uni marks? (2 Viewers)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
maybe she has a natural talent (lol if you call credits talent) in education, as opposed to arts.

aaa666

iverson
HSC
i think we all agree it depends on course to course. theres no way people will say uws law students are up to scratch with usyd or unsw law students - try getting a HD at usyd when u compete with 100 uai kids.. whereas at uws the competition is a tad less (to put it politely). but for lower cut off courses it might not matter as much cause uai is not the be all and end all: some people have a talent for something even if their uai is shit. but theres no point arguing that ppl in the top degrees like law and med arent geniuses who d own anybody. they are.

aaa666

iverson
HSC
y do so many ppl say all these 100uai ppl are just 4u maths, physics freaks..if u ever meet these guys ull c they re geniuses not retarded ppl who can only add numbers fast. i dunno about u but i definately do..i knw a few doing med in usyd (99.95+) and they ve got HD wams - and not much maths required in med. and remember not all these ppl r maths freaks..many are really good at languages and stuff - we all knw how much extension latin scales:D:D.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I think far too many people consider the UAI to be a measure of intelligence, its really not. Yes UWS students may have fewer competitors but how great is that difference really, Uni's are full of mature aged students, full fee students etc... thats assuming also that uai's determine university success which is a lot of crap the best students at UWS are transfer students who got UAI's less than 80! To be fair not all UNSW students got 100, a student like me with a uai of about 94 could have studied at UNSW paying full fee.

Yes the students at UWS may have lower uai's and in some cases leads to a lot less competition but in others it doesn't. Trying to get good marks at an underfunded uni where the expectation is that you are stupid isn't easy trust me amd in my experience marks are awarded on the basis of merit especially in the higher ends, when most people failed the torts assignment less than 5 out of 200 got HD's and < 10% if that got ds.

I think people should just be a little more informed when making comments about the quality of students and challenging if they deserved their marks, I find it a bit rude that the HD in a law subject that I worked hard for is not worth it, because apparently I got it based on the fact that the students at my uni are poorer.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Why do you get so offended when someone tells you that your HD isn't worth much? Most employers find a credit average (haha) to indicate a 'results-driven individual.'

Anyway what do you mean when you say that it isn't easy to get high marks when the expectation is that you are 'stupid?' I would've thought that it would be easier but please enlighten me. Is it because you get marked down regardless of how everyone else does, simply because your work is automatically considered to be not up to scratch?

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
actually an HD is worth a lot. Someone with an HD average will likely get the best graduate opportunity at a firm of their choice, with the best starting salary and bonuses. i am working my arse off for an HD average in marketing. why? for these same reasons. I can choose a company that has the best marketing outlook, with fantastic chances for promotion and the such. Gettin a high average accelerates your path to success, same as getting a high UAI (I've had to try transfer due to my insufficient UAI and I wish I could have just done Commerce to begin with)

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Don't get me wrong, I think a HD average is great and that a credit average is no different from a fail. But that's just from a personal perspective. Employers really only care about work experience and trivial extracurricular activities. Marks seem to be more of a prerequisite than a criterion. But I guess requirements vary depending on which field you're in.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
marks are important in combination with work experience and extracirc activities, from my experience.

hellomike

HSC
The better your average you have, the better prospects you will see. I mean when I graduate, I want to achieve first class honours.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Your average doesn't matter for first class honours. First class honours simply means you attained a certain average in honours only (doesn't take your previous marks into account)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
For marketing graduate positions they look at both, like I said. If they have a D/HD average candidate who has demonstrated some experience and extracirc. involvement, they will drool and pay you many moneys.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Anonymou5 said:
Why do you get so offended when someone tells you that your HD isn't worth much? Most employers find a credit average (haha) to indicate a 'results-driven individual.'

Anyway what do you mean when you say that it isn't easy to get high marks when the expectation is that you are 'stupid?' I would've thought that it would be easier but please enlighten me. Is it because you get marked down regardless of how everyone else does, simply because your work is automatically considered to be not up to scratch?
I am not that offended, I am happy enough that I achieved a HD in my first year and know that someone saying it is easier to get means its worthless because I know I earnt it. I just want it illustrate that it isn't as easy at UWS as most think and trying to stop people from making comments about something they think they know a lot about but don't really.

No, its the way that you are taught, because the perception in my law classes is that we are 'stupid' we are taught down to, then when assignment time comes around marked like any other university, its hard to break the self fullfilling prophecy.

aaa666

iverson
HSC
melsc said:
I am not that offended, I am happy enough that I achieved a HD in my first year and know that someone saying it is easier to get means its worthless because I know I earnt it. I just want it illustrate that it isn't as easy at UWS as most think and trying to stop people from making comments about something they think they know a lot about but don't really.

No, its the way that you are taught, because the perception in my law classes is that we are 'stupid' we are taught down to, then when assignment time comes around marked like any other university, its hard to break the self fullfilling prophecy.
getting a HD in any university is excellent and you re definately better than nearly all other law students in usyd unsw etc (at least in the subject u got a HD in). and it doesnt really matter what uni you re at unless you re the cream of the class. that said, its hard not to argue that the top of usyd and unsw aren't better than the top of uws..so it is a bit harder to get top marks in these unis - god knws how much we get scaled down from 85+ marks down to 84 and 83. I knw - cause i was sitting on above 90% for two of my subjects and i managed only 83 in both:( (i definately aced the final exams as well).

all that said..congrats on ur HD - its definately not worthless, its (nearly) just as good as a HD at usyd or unsw and 100 times better than my Ds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)