UAI 99% - What Results Should I Be Getting? (1 Viewer)

puppyie

HSC
Hey Guys
The subjects i do are Adv. English, Chem, Bio, Extension 1 and 2 Maths, 2 UNIT SOR

What internal result average should i be getting for each in order to make sure i receive that sort of UAI. I do come from a school thats ranked way beyond the top 200 but we have had students come out with great results! In 08 we had about 7 people receive 90+. What should my average for each subjct be in order to ensure im on the path to that UAI

Please no stupid comments or anything that isn't relevant .. I only want responses from those who actually know what their talking about!

dp624

HSC
Firstly.
UAI isn't a percentage. It's a wacked up percentile thingy. If you get a UAI of 99 it means you beat or were equal to 99% of your year 10 School Certificate Cohort.

The best scaling subjects you have are Chem, 4u Maths and Advanced English - that's 9 units. I'm not sure which one would count afterwards, Bio or SORI (well bio has to count but SORI might count over a bit)

That said, I think you should try to average low-mid Band 6s to get a 99 UAI. At your school this probably means an average internal rank of no lower than 3.

Also your last comment seems kinda arrogant, lol. Hmm

Last edited:

Smithereens

HSC
If you can get a low-mid B6 in English, it'll help set your foundations for a 99UAI. So try and put a focus on English. Like the poster above said, low-mid B6s amongst your other 8 units.

singh.with.me

HSC
my school sometimes just makes it into the top 200. translation: not so great. also, your school results are no better/worse than mine. so i think my 2c (lol) might apply to you..

firstly u must realise that for internal assessments, it is ur rank that matters (most importantly anyway)
in ur school situation, id be aiming for rank=1 in basically everything. obviously, thats easier said than done but thats the general idea.
so while you should be trying to achieve max possible marks the rank is what you must focus on...

coz if u do 4u maths, your school could be making really easy tests, getting you rel higher marks than ppl who are as good as you in other schools... with this kind of thing, its not quite possible to put a number to what you should be aiming for.
just your best i say. atleast.
=] hope that helped/made sense

singh.with.me

HSC
puppyie said:
Hey Guys
The subjects i do are Adv. English, Chem, Bio, Extension 1 and 2 Maths, 2 UNIT SOR

What internal result average should i be getting for each in order to make sure i receive that sort of UAI. I do come from a school thats ranked way beyond the top 200 but we have had students come out with great results! In 08 we had about 7 people receive 90+. What should my average for each subjct be in order to ensure im on the path to that UAI

Please no stupid comments or anything that isn't relevant .. I only want responses from those who actually know what their talking about!

*reads other replies*
did i understand ur question wrong?! :eek:

georgefren

HSC
Well, for the HSC you'll need middish band 6s. And for internal results, since you dont go to a really high achieving school, you have to concentrate on getting to as high a rank as possible (preferably first). And then backing yourself in the exams.

Smithereens

HSC
We've avoided the question or abstain from answering because of what you've said. Each school to their own marking criteria and ease of exams. RANKS - INTERNAL, MARKS - EXTERNAL.

puppyie

HSC
thanks guys ... i just needed to be told something because it changes with different people ... and in terms of the last comment i wasn't trying to sound arrogant and im sorry if i did ... wasnt my intention!

nottellingu

HSC
Smithereens said:
If you can get a low-mid B6 in English, it'll help set your foundations for a 99UAI. So try and put a focus on English. Like the poster above said, low-mid B6s amongst your other 8 units.
This is true but it is very very possible to get 99 uai without a band 6 in english. First-hand experience :hat: But having said that a high english mark takes u along way.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol@goerge fren -

midish band 6 for all my subjects would've gotten me 99.8x+

dp624

HSC
Lol yea.
The difference between a 89 english (~83 scaled) and 95 english (~93 scaled) is an enormous amount/
like 10 aggregates would be a jump of at least .50 i think

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
We can't really estimate internal marks as all schools set different tests, and mark differently.

I did similar subjects to you, except I did eco instead of SOR, so ill give you my internal marks as an example, so you can get some sort of an idea...
English - averaged mid 80's internally --> 92 in HSC
MX1 - averaged high 90's internally --> 99 in HSC
MX2 - averaged low 90's internally --> 94 in HSC
Bio - averaged low 80's internally (although teacher was a really hard marker) --> 94 in HSC
Chem - averaged mid 80's internally --> 89 in HSC (didn't count)
Eco - averaged low/mid 90's internally --> 96 in HSC
UAI = 99.70

But really it depends on the school, so your best bet is to try and maintain high ranks rather than high marks.

zaqwerty

HSC
Try and be ranked 1st in all your subjects. If you did this, you'd obviously be getting good raw marks also. This equals 99 UAI.

Twas easy for me to be ranked 1st in all my subjects at school because majority of my classmates didn't care much about the HSC. I would say my high UAI could be 70% attributed to my ranks.

I still feel like my whole schooling life was a fluke :S

georgefren

HSC
plus it depends on what subjects your doing.

i.e. a middish band six in ahistory is approximately a scaled 86. which really is barely good enough for a 99 UAI.
but im pretty sure you wont need something like that for maths, ect.

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
Saying u need to be ranked 1st for all subjects is really subjective and depends on your school

If you go to a top 20 school, you dont need to be 1st for everything to get 99+

If you go to a joe bloe normal comprehensive high school, you NEED to be ranked 1 by a wide margin to get your 99.

Also your teachers might likely suck, meaning you'd need external help, from tutoring or whatnot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)