apollo

First things first;

Subject - Mark - Rank

Adv English - 92 - 1/19
Economics - 79 - equal 1/4
Ancient History - 98 - 1/20
Modern History - 92 - 2/14
Geography - 87 - 3/12

My school is in fact TAFE, we have a lot of drop outs and a very limited number of people who are putting in effort...

Economics is not as much of a worry as the mark indicates - I'm first in the topic, and as we all know that's what matters with assessments... Also, the reason the entire class get such low marks is our teacher pushes us extraordinarily hard. It's good though - I can pick up dated economics HSC exam papers and rip through them with satisfying ease ;) I'm expecting low 80s to mid 90s for my HSC mark.

I need to get a UAI of 93.10, so I want to get 95+ to be safe. In your no doubt respectable opinion, am I on the right track, or am I going to need to work harder?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You're on the right track. :)

Make sure you keep up the good work.

Eeko

Banned
hard to say since the tafe candiditure is so small and comparatively shit.

apollo

Thanks Laz & natstar, your input is appreciated :)

Originally posted by Eeko
hard to say since the tafe candiditure is so small and comparatively shit.
Have you done the HSC at TAFE? Because frankly, it looks like you have no idea what you're on about :)

Eeko

Banned
Originally posted by apollo
Thanks Laz & natstar, your input is appreciated :)

Have you done the HSC at TAFE? Because frankly, it looks like you have no idea what you're on about :)
i got a few friends doing theirs at TAFE.

not the best results to show for it

apollo

Point taken Eeko.

Well said natstar :)

TAFE is ideal for me. I rebelled against the rules imposed on me at school... I hated uniforms, I wanted to have a cigarette at lunch without being yelled at, I wanted to take time off when I needed it and catch up on the work at my own pace.

This year I've done just that. I'm at TAFE when it's necessary, but I do most of the learning myself. It works for me well. I don't take in notes to explain my absence (unless I missed an assessment) and I have a smoke at lunch. I'm happy, and I'm doing well.

:)

^___^
HSC
to be honest, i wished i could have done yr11-12 in TAFE, coz the teaching could be better and that the standard will be a lot harder to my school atm...

but oh well, i can't ask more from my teachers, they are so good

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
really?

my best friend is repeating year 12 at st george tafe and he has said it is REALLY shitty. he came from a selective school (didnt quite get the uai he wanted) and he says that the teachers are barely competent and half of the people in his course dont even turn up every day.

he told me for most his classes, the teachers deliberately give the students work that will only really guarantee them a band 4 maximum (he says this in particular about modern, business studies and IPT) because they mostly assume that people just won't be able to perform any higher. i know for a fact he's doing some really stupid stuff in modern and the teacher is really bad because we do the same topics in modern, and a) we are much further along; b) their assessments are a fucking joke (e.g comprehension sheets).

i started year 11 at a mixed tafe/senior high school in north sydney and really 90% of people there were well on their way to dropping out... i left within a week, i knew right from the outset it wasn't going to help me.

this isn't a judgement of you; maybe it's tafe-specific? that's what im getting at. what tafe to you go to? cos in my experience they're actually not fair on a lot of their students, they oversimplify things (thus limiting the success their students can have).

it would be good to go to a school with no uniform and work at your own pace, etc, though. i think a lot of people aren't necassarily driven enough for that though.

apollo

I'm at Ultimo TAFE.

he told me for most his classes, the teachers deliberately give the students work that will only really guarantee them a band 4 maximum (he says this in particular about modern, business studies and IPT) because they mostly assume that people just won't be able to perform any higher.
It's not up to the teacher to guarantee marks for students, it's up to the student. I find it very difficult to believe that the teachers are deliberately limiting their students performance, which is what you're saying here.

cos in my experience they're actually not fair on a lot of their students, they oversimplify things (thus limiting the success their students can have).
Completely the opposite of my experience.

Eeko

Banned
the point is whether or not ur tafe cohort are academically motivated, if they're a bunch or crackhead, u'll be disadvantaged

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
I'm at Ultimo TAFE.

It's not up to the teacher to guarantee marks for students, it's up to the student. I find it very difficult to believe that the teachers are deliberately limiting their students performance, which is what you're saying here.

Completely the opposite of my experience.

not DELIBERATELY limiting - perhaps just underestimating them. not really giving realistic work or assessments. and if you don't believe it; i could give you his email and you ask him yourself. i'm not lying, and neither is he.

examples;
business studies assessment; a case study no more than 500 words
modern history assessment; for albert speer, 140 comprehension questions from a textbook, no more than 1 sentence in length.

again, i was not criticising you; i was wondering if it varied from tafe to tafe.

which it must, given that your experience differs so greatly from his.

Originally posted by Eeko
the point is whether or not ur tafe cohort are academically motivated, if they're a bunch or crackhead, u'll be disadvantaged
which is certainly the case with my friend at st george tafe. none of them are motivated, and as a result his good marks may get dragged down.

ultimately i guess it is up to the individual anyway.

is a roflcopter
HSC
mr lazarus.....what was the highest uai for a tafe person last year?

apollo

spin spin sugar,

I was not accusing you of lying :)
Just saying I found it hard to believe... The way you've worded it second time round - underestimating being the key word - makes perfect sense. Any teacher who sees a constant low quality candidature would lower their standards. We had that problem with our geography teacher, so 4 of us asked him to push us harder. I recommend you tell your friend to do the same, because it worked for us.

The examples you've provided do more than enough to prove your point. If you want, I'll post my current English assessment up here to show you the other end of the scale... :)

I'll stand to correction here, but wouldn't a student look better to the BOS & UAC if they had top marks (85-100) and everyone else in the class had crappier marks?

TAFE aren't distinguished from schools when the marks are sent in BTW. No special considerations, conditions or whatnot are applied just because it's TAFE.

I should admit - there are a large percentage of drop outs at TAFE. Complete and utter fuckwits, ferals, losers, clueless dopes and general unbearable scum. We've had the police + ambulance combo arrive 4 times this year in our block alone because of racially motivated bashings... Few people care for academia... But, I feel I should stress - 90% of them drop out and withdraw from the classes before the HSC, meaning they don't count! It's not like school, people don't attend if they don't want to.

:\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)