UAI Approx - Mid Term (1 Viewer)

imoO

HSC
Well well....we are halfway there 09ers....

Anyway...I'd like somebody to give me some approximations..My schools ranked 168th in 07, 180ish in 08....but I think we are a pretty good year....not sure..
Subject, Mark - Rank

English Adv. top 20-30 out of 90

Economics - 2nd/40ish

Maths - Task 1 34th/78 Task 2 21st/78 ....So ranking should be low 30's to high 20s

Maths Ext.1 35th/41

Chemistry Top 20, def top 30 out of 70ish

Physics 3rd/61

For the record, I understand my Math Ext.1 is not the best, but at the end of the day, my HSC will be counted on my best 10 units, so it will be ignored, or am I mistaken?

Secondly, I would like to know whether putting more effort into English is worthwhile, or should I work at Ext.1?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
seriously DOES FUCKING SCHOOL RANKS MATTER WAY TO MUCH?
it matters for sure (but perhaps not in the way we'd think)
because someone with ~middle of the range ranks at, say, ruse, will get ~99 uai, while someone at a lower ranked school will get lower. but of course, that's assuming school performance is similar through years

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
seriously DOES FUCKING SCHOOL RANKS MATTER WAY TO MUCH?
I thoroughly agree with the sentiment expressed - if not the language!

I've been telling my students's parents that I don't agree with the policy of having school assessed mark conting 50% towards the final HSC; for a number of reasons:

1) if you get 80% in your test, but your school is not well-ranked, then
you may be unfairly penalised. I know there is supposed to be a scheme
to take into account the take into account the standard of different schools'
e.g. a 90% from your school may not be rated as highly as a 75% from Ruse.
But all these schemes to 'normalise' the marks are only approximations.
Some may end up unduly advantaged and others unfairly penalised.

2) This policy of ongoing assessment test is, in my view, one of the greatest
causes of student stress in the HSC. Why so? Well .. the average and below average students need time to absorb new topics as the are being taught. Thus some students may struggle for a couple of months before they finally "get it". Most student would need a bit of time to understand any new area of study. The small minority who are bright usually have no such problem. Under the present system, students are being brought to 'slaughter' before they have enough time to digest new material. This of course gives the brighter students undue advantage.
Don't you students agree: the removal of this stupid internal assessment test counting to 50%, would take away a huge load off your shoulder?

3) The authorities would come up with a load of reasons for current policy.
Why can't they iust have one final exam. No internal school marks! They do this basically in the International Baccalaureate Diploma; and in may other examination jurisdictions overseas.

What do you think ??

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC

I've been telling my students's parents that I don't agree with the policy of having school assessed mark conting 50% towards the final HSC; for a number of reasons:

causes of student stress in the HSC. Why so? Well .. the average and below average students need time to absorb new topics as the are being taught. Thus some students may struggle for a couple of months before they finally "get it". Most student would need a bit of time to understand any new area of study. The small minority who are bright usually have no such problem. Under the present system, students are being brought to 'slaughter' before they have enough time to digest new material. This of course gives the brighter students undue advantage.
Don't you students agree: the removal of this stupid internal assessment test counting to 50%, would take away a huge load off your shoulder?

Why can't they iust have one final exam. No internal school marks! They do this basically in the International Baccalaureate Diploma; and in may other examination jurisdictions overseas.

What do you think ??
Nope; too many ways that could fuck up. This way, your performance throughout the year is judged. In European countries, such as Austria and Germany, they have a much better system whereby nearly all of the schools are public (but very good public), and the final exams are only worth about a third. Weighing up schools performances is the best, if not the only, way to do it fairly here.

PS: my school's rank is in the 100s, so I'm not saying this because I profit from the system more than most.

blomo

HSC
I think you should get off Bored of Studies.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Id saw somewhere in the low eighties, its really hard to say atm.

MrDimple

HSC
my assessments are alright get like 80% plus but when it comes to exams OH OH its like 45% for physics but ive improved to pass barely at 54% and the rest high 70's 80's its cool and general is jsut consitent at 90%

youngminii

Banned
HSC

What do you think ??
Lol'd.
Your marks don't matter, it's your ranks. It's completely fair.

Pre 2001, the HSC was just one big test at the end. It's fairer doing it spread throughout the year.

@ OP: 80s.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC

What do you think ??
the school ranking system is fair. because a 90 at a like 100 ranked school is nowhere near a 75 at ruse. it enables people to compare marks at schools. also, it depends on your own cohort, not your school as a whole [ie, year twelve in previous years].

solution; come first in assessment marks and hsc exams, then no matter what school you're at, your total hsc mark will just be double whatever you get in the hsc. you might even go better than you would at a highly ranked school.

imoO

HSC
1. This the wrong forum
2. We need to know what your school is ranked.
It is now in the original post. I am sorry, I was not aware I was posting in the wrong section.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
could be 90s, work harder. also don't worry too much about the ranking of your school (as in last year's rank)- worry about the strength of your cohort. my year pulled our school from 100 to 70

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)