Mathematics Extension 1- 68%- 21/54
Business studies- 73%- 18/97
Economics- 80%- 8/36

i think we have around 30 to 40 people getting over 90 each year

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
Above 80.

I would just say use SAM its much much more acurate.

runnable

HSC
I would say closer to 90 if the school is rank top 100.

michael1990

HSC
runnable said:
I would say closer to 90 if the school is rank top 100.
School does not matter in the calculation of the UAI.

michael1990

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
Ext english and ext math. bring on the storm and 95 will come to you
Mid to high marks will scale okay.

Bad marks will scale you down.

runnable

HSC
michael1990 said:
School does not matter in the calculation of the UAI.
Hes asking for a UAI estimate. If im in a school ranked 620th, with marks

English Advanced- 90%- 9/170
English Extension 1- 82%- 15/21
Mathematics- 87%- 10/129
Economics- 80%- 8/36

You are not going to tell me im going to get above UAI 80... surely... Seeing the school's top mark was prob 92 and few in 70,80s and most in 60s and 50s...

So dun give me the school dun count bullshit. It does when someone is asking to "estimate" and providing nothing but his internal rank and marks.

michael1990

HSC
runnable said:
Hes asking for a UAI estimate. If im in a school ranked 620th, with marks

English Advanced- 90%- 9/170
English Extension 1- 82%- 15/21
Mathematics- 87%- 10/129
Economics- 80%- 8/36

You are not going to tell me im going to get above UAI 80... surely... Seeing the school's top mark was prob 92 and few in 70,80s and most in 60s and 50s...

So dun give me the school dun count bullshit. It does when someone is asking to "estimate" and providing nothing but his internal rank and marks.
Not really.
They may be buying papers.
They may be making a lot harder papers because of previous abysmal HSC results.

So in fact. The schools ranking does not matter when the UAI is calculated.

runnable

HSC
michael1990 said:
Not really.
They may be buying papers.
They may be making a lot harder papers because of previous abysmal HSC results.

So in fact. The schools ranking does not matter when the UAI is calculated.
Lol you are kidding... you are not even thinking logically. How can setting harder papers help previous bad results? They will be no better off if the teaching/learning does not improve. And i hope you are not suggesting that a school that is consistently ranked 620th+ and produced those results will suddenly jump up one year due to "harder papers". It is the calibre of the cohort, not the difficulty of the papers. And the rankings of the school shows the calibre of the cohort. You can say the cohort might have improved from last year but lets not kid outselves, it will not improve significantly in one year at all.

End of story, SCHOOL RANKINGS count when a prediction is asked for, when ONLY the INTERNAL ranks and marks are provided.

undalay

HSC
Runnable, schools that are below a certain rank...say 50ish, are not stable.

I.e. The schools rank will flactuate GREATLY every year. So it's hard to determine anything.
I'm sure many schools could change up to 400 ranks every year.

Only schools that peform consistently, such as selective schools, will gain stable ranks, and such those ranks can be used in calculations.

This means:
1. Rankings cannot be used properly in the estimation of UAI (flactuating cohort) unless u want to make the big error of assuming stable cohort throughout the years. (only acceptable for steady ranking schools)

However, the schools raw marks can still be used to give an indication of UAI, as most schools will follow the difficulty and marking scheme of the HSC. (and many buy papers, as tommy suggested)

in conclusion, school rank matters however, it is unreliable to refer to previous school ranks, in a volatile school.

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
undalay said:
Runnable, schools that are below a certain rank...say 50ish, are not stable.

I.e. The schools rank will flactuate GREATLY every year. So it's hard to determine anything.
I'm sure many schools could change up to 400 ranks every year.

Only schools that peform consistently, such as selective schools, will gain stable ranks, and such those ranks can be used in calculations.

This means:
1. Rankings cannot be used properly in the estimation of UAI (flactuating cohort) unless u want to make the big error of assuming stable cohort throughout the years. (only acceptable for steady ranking schools)

However, the schools raw marks can still be used to give an indication of UAI, as most schools will follow the difficulty and marking scheme of the HSC. (and many buy papers, as tommy suggested)

in conclusion, school rank matters however, it is unreliable to refer to previous school ranks, in a volatile school.
Although they may change greatly, it will not change by 400, if so, not many will do this at all.

Even if there is a significant change in rankings, the actual cohort will not have improved by that much as well. Cuz in the lower half of top 500+, a small amount of goodness seperate many schools. So improving just a little bit might've improved the ranking, but the school is not too much better off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)