uai optom (1 Viewer)

Buckler26

hey i got a uai of 93.6

i applied for optometry -Full Fee Paying and Access Student [you no that equity stuff]

anyway will i get in???

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
menty said:
well, since they halved the places for optom, do u think 99.05 would score me a HECS place?
I think it's safe to say you're in! :)

thegangmaster

HSC
menty said:
well, since they halved the places for optom, do u think 99.05 would score me a HECS place?
Yeh im also very worried about the amount of places being halved for optometry. I got 99.00 and i don't have a viable backup if I don't get in.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
So they only accept about 25-30 students this year? hmm.. You can always do B Science then transfer to BOptom/BSc since it is now a double degree...

thegangmaster

HSC
Survivor39 said:
So they only accept about 25-30 students this year? hmm.. You can always do B Science then transfer to BOptom/BSc since it is now a double degree...
The thing is that if I do that I would have to sit the UMAT exam which I'm hopeless at.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
thegangmaster said:
The thing is that if I do that I would have to sit the UMAT exam which I'm hopeless at.
You don't need UMAT for Optometry!

"Admission Requirements

Normal entry is into Stage 1 of the BOptom BSc program and is limited by a quota into Stage 1.

Higher School Certificate (or Equivalent)

In 2006 admission to the BOptom BSc course is subject solely to selection on the basis of the Universities Admissions Index (UAI) or equivalent.

Others

Admission to the BOptom BSc for those who have completed or who are undertaking tertiary studies will be ranked on overall academic merit. Students may apply for advanced standing once they have received an offer of admission into the program. Please note that the Certificate of Matriculation - Reduced Program/Limited UAI or the University Preparation Program (UPP) are not acceptable for admission to the BOptom BSc program.

Alternative Entry - transfer from the UNSW BSc (Vision Science) program

Students who have completed Stage 1 of the BSc (major in Vision Science) program will be allowed to compete for transfer into Stage 2 of the BOptom BSc program. Competition for transfer places into Optometry is extremely competitive. Transfer eligibility will be based on a combination of the Universities Admissions Index (UAI) or equivalent, Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) and Stage 1 BSc (Vision Science) results and is limited by a quota. This option is available to local students only."

thegangmaster

HSC
Survivor39 said:
You don't need UMAT for Optometry!

"Admission Requirements

Normal entry is into Stage 1 of the BOptom BSc program and is limited by a quota into Stage 1.

Higher School Certificate (or Equivalent)

In 2006 admission to the BOptom BSc course is subject solely to selection on the basis of the Universities Admissions Index (UAI) or equivalent.

Alternative Entry - transfer from the UNSW BSc (Vision Science) program

Students who have completed Stage 1 of the BSc (major in Vision Science) program will be allowed to compete for transfer into Stage 2 of the BOptom BSc program. Competition for transfer places into Optometry is extremely competitive. Transfer eligibility will be based on a combination of the Universities Admissions Index (UAI) or equivalent, Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) and Stage 1 BSc (Vision Science) results and is limited by a quota. This option is available to local students only."
huh, Doesn't that mean for 2006 Optometry is UAI only but if I fail to make cut-off and do BSc and try and transfer into Optometry in 2007 I would need to do UMAT? :S

EDIT: Oh I see now. UMAT is not compulsory but will be considered when trying to transfer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

hunghing

How do u know the number of places have halved? I cannot find anything on that on the internet. Link please.

thegangmaster

HSC
hunghing said:
How do u know the number of places have halved? I cannot find anything on that on the internet. Link please.
I don't think there is anything on the internet about it. I found out through attending the UNSW open day Optometry lecture. I disctinctly remember that they quoted a figure of about 23 but they would maybe accept a bit more than that.

hunghing

I hope they keep the numbers same as last year. I'll be asking about it on the info day.

Raginsheep

HSC
They reduced the numbers and created a new degree, BSci(Vision Science) or something like that. For the first year, the Opt and Vis Sci are similar and at the end of the year, some students in Vis Sci maybe offered a transfer place.

From next year, Opt will require UMAT.

Raginsheep

HSC
The cutoff for vis sci is probably much lower and 1st has similar content if my memory is to be believed. If you are truely dedicated and can't make optom, go for it and then transfer. Otherwise fee-pay. Is there another uni which offers optom?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)