UAI - Picking the subjects that scale or the subjects you like (1 Viewer)

ennny

HSC
They say that you should pick the subjects you love! because you'll work more efficiently in them, gaining the marks

But is it true the scaling works better in uai?

-tal-

HSC
Scaling doesn't really affect much. Providing you do well in the subjects you choose, you'll be fine. Bear in mind though, scaling could make a small differences at the top end.

ennny

HSC
But passion for subject ALOT > then Scaling ?

runnable

HSC
You should work at the level you are at. Do not do Gen Maths when you can do Adv Maths etc.

bao28

HSC
how could there be subjects you love?

i kinda devoted my life to teh pc when i was 5 and IPT SUCKS HARD

all i do is play dota or neogeo (<-- they got some hectic old school shit in this) at school lol

edit: sorry i forgot to take into account art and music and shit, not the creative person here

-tal-

HSC
ennny said:
But passion for subject ALOT > then Scaling ?
Yeah, very true. Scaling, I think, is an added bonus of a subject you like.

nrs1990

HSC
I think it's better to do the subjects you like, because it is easier to study for them. If I get a choice between studying for maths extension 2 or english advanced, I study for the maths, and that's reflected in my performance in the subjects. I don't think it's a coincidence that (at the moment) I'm doing best in Modern, which is my favourite subject.

If you hate a subject, and resultingly don't study for it, scaling isn't going to save you. If you enjoy a subject, and thus study for it more, you're more likely to get the high marks that are less effected by scaling.

Of course, sometimes, people actually like subjects that scale well, in which case it's not an issue.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
ennny said:
They say that you should pick the subjects you love! because you'll work more efficiently in them, gaining the marks

But is it true the scaling works better in uai?
Ok, if you pick the subjects you like, suppose if they are low scaling subjects, you are going to end up with an impressive UAI.
Yes, they all say, pick the subjects you like, that's BULLSHIT my friend.
If you are serious about the HSC and want to get a good UAI, do the high scaling subjects and be prepared to do it. There's nothing you can't do, you just have to work hard for a year and thats it. By high scaling, i don't mean maths ext2, english ext2, and all that, if you can do, then do it, else stick with teh rest.

tau281290

HSC
i often find the teachers are not very honest with the students. They keep on telling students to pick the subjects they like, and hide the fact that scaling is how the HSC works (may be due to some regulations in BOS). I don't think this does anything good for the students.

If you do aim for top 5%, you will have to pick high to reasonable scaling subjects. If you aim anything below that, a mixture of high to low scaling subjects will do.

I doubt anyone would genuinely love shakespeare so that they will do Adv Eng.

shcottie

HSC
If you do well in a subject, regardless of its scaling (with the exception of maybe tafe) you have the ability to go well. I know a guy who chose subjects that scaled shit (standard english, general maths, music 1) but did fairly well in all of them and got a UAI of like 95. If you're going to work hard, you may as well work hard on something you enjoy doing, not what you THINK will scale well becuase you will probably end up failing if you don't like something.

tau281290

HSC
shcottie said:
If you do well in a subject, regardless of its scaling (with the exception of maybe tafe) you have the ability to go well. I know a guy who chose subjects that scaled shit (standard english, general maths, music 1) but did fairly well in all of them and got a UAI of like 95. If you're going to work hard, you may as well work hard on something you enjoy doing, not what you THINK will scale well becuase you will probably end up failing if you don't like something.
That's exactly what I meant. You can hardly get top 5% with low scaling subjects. But obviously if you can do very well in them, you can get 90+ UAI. YOu cannot compare with a person doing very well with high scaling subjects to a person doing equally well with low scaling subject.

wLym

HSC
dude, advice from my experience? Pick one or 2 subjects, max, that scale well, and the rest pick subjects you love. year 12 is all about motivation, and in particular, motivation that comes easily. If you arent motivated the whole way, youll find its hard to try to do the work you need, and youll burn out so easily man. One way to fix this is to do subjects you are keen in, ones that suit you.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
tau281290 said:
Oh yea, prove it to me lol :karate:
How do I prove it, lol? I enjoy reading it for the sake of it, and seeing it performed?

Depressed with my subjects, tho. I moved from a rural school interstate and didn't know about scaling. :(

tau281290

HSC
Exphate said:
Hahaha. That's right. Blame teachers!

Teachers often push higher scaling subjects, because the higher the avg. UAI, the better the "image" of academic standard the school has, which means more parents sending their kids to the school, and teachers not being shifted to other (less desirable) locations.
Not really, some schools teachers push students to do low scaling subjects like standard english.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
tau281290 said:
Not really, some schools teachers push students to do low scaling subjects like standard english.
I full endorse that. There are too many 'tards in my class who only do it because of the scaling. Lol, if you're failing it doesn't help!

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
jordankuai22 said:
however i speak the truth
no you are an idiot stop posting as your posts are hollow and of no substance

do subjects you love, you will go better in them scaling will not affect you much if you do well in them anyway. If you hate the subject you will go bad.

EDIT: Also pick based on what you wanna do after school

mikehefanatic

HSC
Even though i did not enquire anyone on what subjects I'd have to do to get a high UAI, I still chose the ones I was familiar with which are also some of the hardest ones. I don't really regret it but I'm not saying I'm fully happy with my decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)