UAi prediction.. (1 Viewer)

reece123

HSC
Hey go to a normal public school, probly a little better academically the most public schools.

Economics: 72% Rank 2nd
Business studies: 71% Rank: 7th
English Advanced: 57% Rank 53rd
Mathematics: 69% Rank :Unknown, guessing around 30th
Modern History : 76% Rank: 6th

richz

really depends are those ur report marks or assessment marks??

HSC
Need some more info, it depends on how many ppl are in each course aswell. For example your 2nd there is great if its a full class of 30 but not that significant if there's only 3 people. You get the idea just post your ranks along with how many ppl in your school are doing the course :p

HSC
miss_gtr said:
dont think it would 75.. my makrs are higher thatn that and im about 74
i'd say high 60s to about 72
Firstly, marks have NOTHING to do with how your uai will pan out. RANKS play determing role, search some of the other threads for the specific details as to why but the jist is that different schools mark at different levels and students are not penalised because of this and as such ranks are what is important. For example, it is better to come first in a class with a mark of 70% then to come, say, 5th with a mark of 80%. Remember, you UAI is a rank, not a mark, and thus ranks in school are the determining factor in your UAI.

And reece123, could ya answer my question as to how many ppl are doing each subject? that'll help with my guesstimate :)

Cheers.

TheHeretic

Marcus Aurelius said:
Firstly, marks have NOTHING to do with how your uai will pan out. RANKS play determing role, search some of the other threads for the specific details as to why but the jist is that different schools mark at different levels and students are not penalised because of this and as such ranks are what is important. For example, it is better to come first in a class with a mark of 70% then to come, say, 5th with a mark of 80%. Remember, you UAI is a rank, not a mark, and thus ranks in school are the determining factor in your UAI.
Neither Marks nor Ranks are relevant.

All that matters is the standard deviation between the person coming first, the person ranked in the middle and the person coming last.

HSC
N/A
uai prediction???

i got my uai predicted a few weeks ago, they based it on my half yearly results only, and i got a pretty bad mark for all my efforts in the half yearlys. i am not sure if i should trust it. i mean i do most of the high scaling subjects and i am doing pretty well in them as well.
well, i guess i'll just have to work harder then.

Pace_T

HSC
miss_gtr said:
offcourse marks have something to do with your uai, YOU GET YOUR RANKS THROUGH YOUR MARKS. so duh! offcourse they matter.
woah hold on there, missy
they don't
ranks do
say ur ranked 1st
then ur school assessment score doesn't matter
different scenario:
say u got 85% for a subject
the rank still matters in determining the uai

as long as u got the rank you think you need to help you get the uai u require then the score doesn't matter.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Pace_T said:
woah hold on there, missy
they don't
ranks do
say ur ranked 1st
then ur school assessment score doesn't matter
different scenario:
say u got 85% for a subject
the rank still matters in determining the uai

as long as u got the rank you think you need to help you get the uai u require then the score doesn't matter.
the score does matter as well as the rank....

you need to read up on the moderation process.

http://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
if u keep the same external examination mark but alter the school assessment mark the moderated marks stay the same
for example
school mark - exam mark - moderated assessment mark - hsc mark
90 - 85 - 85 - 85
85 - 85 - 85 - 85
75 - 85 - 85 - 85
65 - 85 - 85 - 85

the school mark decreases, however the moderated and hsc mark stay the same
i must be missing somehting here?
btw i've already read about moderating, but i still must be missing somehting

A l

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
the score does matter as well as the rank....

you need to read up on the moderation process.

http://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php
You need to read up on this thread:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=68570
And this quote within that thread:
Lazarus said:
The actual marks are given to the Board.

It is not just your rank that is relevant - the relative differences between students are also important.

The marks serve to indicate your position and achievement relative to other students in your class.

It doesn't matter what the actual figures are (i.e. whether the marks of your class range between 60 and 80 or between 80 and 100) but it does matter where your mark places you relative to the rest of your class.

The final marks sent to the Board really just act as 'placeholders' for moderated marks, which will be determined according to the performance of your class on the HSC exam.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
HSC
miss_gtr said:
offcourse marks have something to do with your uai, YOU GET YOUR RANKS THROUGH YOUR MARKS. so duh! offcourse they matter.
Yeah thats fine. Marks do matter as you get your ranks from your marks, thats obvious. I'm just saying its better to come first in a subject with the school giving u a mark of 70% then to come 5th with the school giving u a mark of 80%.

So ranks are important and as someone already mentioned the gap of marks between ranks is also importatn.
I think thats the jist of it anyway...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)