UAI/UMAT for medicine (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
Can someone link me to the UNSW web page with the table showing uai/umat requirements?

Danger

HSC
Thanks. I heard that the median for medicine at UNSW is 99.7 - so one thing I dont understand is why you don't often see people with an UAI of 95 + high umat doing medicine (provided that they passed the interview)? Do they favour the ones with higher the uai? For example, who will they choose between someone with uai 95.5 and umat 228 and another with 99.5 and umat 170? Or is all this totally irrelevant??

uniform

!!!
HSC
I'm not even a prospective UNSW medicine student, but from what it says on that page, the table simply acts as a 'cut-off' guide for being offered an interview, nothing more. Maybe those with higher UAIs (around 99.7) generally perform better in the interviews than those around the 95 mark (?). That's my guess.

Danger

HSC
Yeah I think it could be that they generally perform better in the interview and/or the students with 95 must perform exceptionally well in the umat. still, does this mean they are considered equally for a place when they pass the interview? Do the interviewers judge the students by their performance in the itnerview as well as their uai/umat scores?

It'd be great if a current student can answer this

HSC
The table is just a cut-off. It's a bare minimum. Many students get past that minimum, which is why the median UAI in UNSW has been around the mid 99 mark and median UMAT, around 180s.

UNSW is fair in that it has a 1/3 UMAT, 1/3 Interview, 1/3 UAI requirement. The interviewer has no idea what the student's UMAT and UAI scores are. The interview mark is solely based on the student's performance during the interview.

After that, the marks are processed. The students are then ranked and the first hundred or so students are chosen and given the CSP place etc.

Danger

HSC
shuffleshuffle said:
The table is just a cut-off. It's a bare minimum. Many students get past that minimum, which is why the median UAI in UNSW has been around the mid 99 mark and median UMAT, around 180s.
Are you implying that they will choose students with higher uai+umat over lower ones, hence the median is around mid 99?

Roughly how many students are offered interviews each year?

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Overall there are approximately 500 people interviewed each year - about 370 odd in the September round of interviews and about 130 in January.

And the table for interviews has sort of a ceiling if you know what I mean. As in, if you get 95, it's very difficult for you to get a UMAT of about 230 because only a handful of people around the country get that high. On the other hand, there are 20 odd people in NSW alone with each UAI increment (many of which will achieve far above their respective minimum UMAT mark) - so it just means there are more of them (high UAIers) and, hence, more of them get in.

Black Hawker

HSC
I'm thinking of applying for Optomety this year at UNSW, but not as my first preferences.

I'm wondering whether they take EAS applications for the UAI part of it. Say I get 90 UAI, and I get 10 points from EAS. Does that mean as long as I get a reasonable UMAT score and a good interview score, it is possible for me to get in?

bubbly89

HSC
It is EXTREMLY unlikely, I'm talking you shouldn't even think about it unlikely that you will get 10 points from EAS. I can think of two people who got those points they are

a) one girl had her brother die of leukemia during year 12
b) a guy driving had a car crash, where two people died 3 weeks before his final exams

Usually the maximum in 5 points, and to get all those five points you have to have a pretty sad case.

Also what you have to remember is that 99.6 or whatever is a median, NOT an average, because if you think about it, if you can get 99.95 or whatever you're obviously smart, hence getting a good UMAT score probably isn't that hard.

The UNSW process is purely a calculation, each area has a mark and the computer generates the outcome.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Danger said:
Thanks. I heard that the median for medicine at UNSW is 99.7 - so one thing I dont understand is why you don't often see people with an UAI of 95 + high umat doing medicine (provided that they passed the interview)? Do they favour the ones with higher the uai? For example, who will they choose between someone with uai 95.5 and umat 228 and another with 99.5 and umat 170? Or is all this totally irrelevant??
I'm not sure what the data is on this, but it might be the case that there is a correlation between UAI and UMAT scores (i.e. so that those with high UMAT scores will tend to have high UAIs anyway) ---> which would serve to explain why there isn't a large number of people with cut-off level UAIs and monster UMAT scores. That said, I never really talked to people much about their marks so, while I am aware of the oft-quoted UAI distribution, I'm not sure what the general UMAT spread is.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
Just try your best. Give the UMAT, interview and UAI/TER/OP(schoolwork) your best shot.

**The UmAt is a pain though**

white ferret

HSC
it's prob coz those pplz with lower UAI's need very very high UMAT/interview scores to get better cumulative marks than the pplz with higher UAIs + good UMAT/interview marks. and since they accept the pplz with the highest cumulative marks, obviously, the pplz who got higher UAI's would have a better chance of getting in.

beeish

HSC
Uni Grad
99.7??? seriously? cause I got below that and still got in... not like WAY below but more than a whole point below

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Keep in mind that 99.7 is the MEDIAN so it's certainly possible to get in with UAIs quite a bit lower than that - I know a couple of people with UAIs in the low 90s who got in (although they're rural students and had completed a year of uni so their GPA mediated their UAI).

nottellingu

HSC
A friend got in with 95.15 and a umat of 215...it is very possible to get in with lower uais provided that you have the umat to compensate. I also know a person that got in with 99.85 and 205 you also get those people in med school as well and thats probably why you get the high medians. I find it hard to believe the median is 99.7 im sorry i aint buying it. The uai cut off in the last year prior to the introduction of umat was 99.75. I doubt it'd stay close to that figure after umat. The median uai is more likely to be around 99.3`. Note the interview is darn important.

HSC
It is EXTREMLY unlikely, I'm talking you shouldn't even think about it unlikely that you will get 10 points from EAS. I can think of two people who got those points they are

a) one girl had her brother die of leukemia during year 12
b) a guy driving had a car crash, where two people died 3 weeks before his final exams

Usually the maximum in 5 points, and to get all those five points you have to have a pretty sad case.

Also what you have to remember is that 99.6 or whatever is a median, NOT an average, because if you think about it, if you can get 99.95 or whatever you're obviously smart, hence getting a good UMAT score probably isn't that hard.

The UNSW process is purely a calculation, each area has a mark and the computer generates the outcome.
*my mate got 93-94 uai and her parents divorced = EAS ftw and she got into 99.xx uai requirement for law (However i have read that unsw inflates uai requirements, maybe it does for social sciences too?)

*EAS is very individual and doesn't have to involve everyone around you dying. to actually be accepted into EAS though you would of already had to go through a panel of people to assess if you are worth it.
*when competing for courses with other EAS Students, the higher the uai the more chance you have of getting in. there is no quantitative way to measure someones disability (although some instaces are more obvious i dont think the uni would resort to something like that)

remember the median can generally be higher than the actual average becase you don't consider any outliers. in saying that i think unsw makes it clear on the site that it won't drop below 95

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)