UCAT vs school (1 Viewer)

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
It’s okay, private uni with a heavy focus on Catholicism which is fine for most ppl but annoying for some. Also bach of med/surgery (assuming ur looking at jcu) is another way of saying doctor of med but only for undergraduates. So this might be 5 years. But a doctor of med is a postgraduate course, u need to have completed another Bach degree before this. It’s normally 3-4 yrs
oh what rlly? so all undergrad is always bach?

mandemindiguise

HSC
Yes. Undergrad med is either Bach med or Bach med sci/doctor med (straight transition from Bach to postgrad without any exam, like at usyd)
i hear usyd doesnt require a ucat, does that mean they also require an interview? or is it just solely based on your atar? for med

nsw..wollongong

😍😍
HSC
i hear usyd doesnt require a ucat, does that mean they also require an interview? or is it just solely based on your atar? for med
Yeah that’s right they consider only atar, but obv that demands an extremely high cutoff. They also need panel interviews (offers already rolled out), THEN u get an offer to study

jxu0

HSC
Yeah they need a high atar with rlly high ucat (they consider best scores in the verbal reasoning section) plus do well in interviews

Not really a high atar esp in comparison to USYD.

WSU, you need a ATAR 96 or above, they dont care about your atar. They just want you to have a cracked UCAT esp VR section has to be good and then yeah interview ofc. But it def is one of the more doable approaches. Also if you like in greater western Sydney region, you get the atar cut off lowered from 96 asw iirc.

nsw..wollongong

😍😍
HSC
Not really a high atar esp in comparison to USYD.

WSU, you need a ATAR 96 or above, they dont care about your atar. They just want you to have a cracked UCAT esp VR section has to be good and then yeah interview ofc. But it def is one of the more doable approaches. Also if you like in greater western Sydney region, you get the atar cut off lowered from 96 asw iirc.
yeah ofc, thats their published atar, i was just talking abt 2024 admissions from ppl i know. a lot of ppl with 98+ atar and 3000+ ucat didn't even get interviews, but they got interviews at unsw fsr

jxu0

HSC
yeah ofc, thats their published atar, i was just talking abt 2024 admissions from ppl i know. a lot of ppl with 98+ atar and 3000+ ucat didn't even get interviews, but they got interviews at unsw fsr
yeah must of been their VR section that was lacking

jxu0

HSC
also getting an interview at UNSW with a 98 atar or near there is very unusual its usually minium 99.5 to even be offered generally in past years unless

nsw..wollongong

😍😍
HSC
also getting an interview at UNSW with a 98 atar or near there is very unusual its usually minium 99.5 to even be offered generally in past years unless
idk they were interstate students, ucat was very high tho

svad

HSC
Yeah. Am I early? I thought this was a good time to start
If it makes you feel better, my friend has been studying it for it since yr 9 so you can never be too early ig😭

lidess23

HSC
Damn I forgot I made this. I’ll tell you what I learnt:

1. A bit everyday is much better than a lot every 10 days. Seems obvious, and you’ve probably heard it many times, but that’s only because it’s true. Be consistent. Goes for hsc as well not just ucat.

2. For the ucat, start with mocks early on. Don’t use all your mocks early on, but do a few early on (maybe summer holidays, or during term 1).

3. There’s no point starting early for the ucat if you’re just gonna mindlessly do questions. Study with purpose. (For example, say today I’m gonna focus on vr and try finishing x/44 questions in the 21 mins given). This is better than just doing set after set for the sake of it.

4. Do NOT stress about the UCAT. The ones I’ve seen do well from my friends are the ones that didn’t care about their marks and just tried their best. No matter how much you want med, you shouldn’t stress. If your marks are not what you want them to be, don’t worry about it. Most people (including me) do so much better in the real thing, but the key is being calm.

5. This goes with the previous point, but don’t be jealous of others’ marks. I’m guilty of this, very much so. Sometimes I’d fall into depression because one of my friends got x mark in y section, whereas I get less. This screwed me up for school (I was less productive) and for the UCAT.

6. medify or medentry are both fine. It doesn’t matter which one you use.

7.Don’t use UCAT as a procrastination tool. Sometimes I would have homework from school or tutoring that I don’t wanna do. So instead I would just do UCAT because it doesn’t need as much thinking. That leads you to cramming and messes up your mindset for UCAT and school.

8. join UCAT discord server.

9. Good luck. The UCAT is a harrowing experience but you’ll make it. If you flop, try again the following year if you really want med. and remember that there are many postgrad med degrees (ie people enter med after they finish a degree in uni), so year 12 isn’t the only way. It’s actually the less popular way. If you do well, then good job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)