• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UK police to 'raid' Assange's embassy refuge (1 Viewer)

Living Moment

HSC
Yes, he's being 'punished' for allegedly raping women, it's not 'because he simply revealed others wrongdoing'.
Seriously brother you watch way to much bullshit on TV, please wake up before making these unjustified comments.

Open your eyes it all around you, If you can't see what happening brother I'm sorry to say but you’re a lost soul

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Seriously brother you watch way to much bullshit on TV, please wake up before making these unjustified comments.

Open your eyes it all around you, If you can't see what happening brother I'm sorry to say but you’re a lost soul
you have no idea what you're talking about do you?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Wait, what?
Graney's saying that he has actual allegations to answer for. There is a case for wrongdoing in Swedish law that he should answer for.

Assange is not simply being sent to Sweden because he's a part of WikiLeaks.

Living Moment

HSC
you have no idea what you're talking about do you?
Sorry kid go hide behind you're magical blanket and pretend noting happen.

That’s what all you cowards do, Go watch some more 9 news you uneducated think they call human

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Lol

Senator Carr has repeatedly dismissed suggestions that the US has any interest in prosecuting and extraditing Assange. In June, Senator Carr also told the ABC Insiders program: “I've received no hint that they've got a plan to extradite him . . . I would expect that the US would not want to touch this."

However, the Australian embassy in Washington reported in February that “the US investigation into possible criminal conduct by Mr Assange has been ongoing for more than a year”.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/us-intends-to-chase-assange-cables-show-20120817-24e1l.html

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
tbh I've never seen anything critical of Assange on Australian TV, I watched the 4 corners episode Rafy referenced most recently, I think the Australian media are firmly on Assanges side, maybe I should watch more bullshit on TV?

Wait, what?
You've got to read the context of the whole conversation br8,

All I'm saying is nothing extralegal has happened so far, the allegation and extradition are normal and legit, and the assange circlejerk glosses over the fact he is accused of doing some horrible things for which investigation is justified.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Maybe they can get a helicopter on the roof?
The consulate only rents one story (the ground floor) of the building (which is 3/4 stories high) and only have 10 small rooms in total.

The diplomatic bag would be the best way.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Graney's saying that he has actual allegations to answer for. There is a case for wrongdoing in Swedish law that he should answer for.

Assange is not simply being sent to Sweden because he's a part of WikiLeaks.
You've got to read the context of the whole conversation br8,

All I'm saying is nothing extralegal has happened so far, the allegation and extradition are normal and legit, and the assange circlejerk glosses over the fact he is accused of doing some horrible things for which investigation is justified.
Oh right I geddit. On that point I do agree he should go to Sweden and face trial (I think I said that somewhere), it wouldn't even particularly suprise me if he was guilty.

What concerns me that he then might be subsequently be extradited to the US for more dubious charges. Apparently one of the conditions Sweeden itself places on extraditing one of their citizens is that the country seeking extradition agrees not to then extradite them to another third country. I don't see why it is so difficult for Sweeden to give such a assurance. Assurances are routinely placed on extradition (e.g. around the death penalty etc.). The fact that such assurances can't or won't be given just seems a bit off to me.

HSC
N/A
An embassy isn't in itself sovereign. In other words, it would be incorrect to say it is technically Ecuadorian soil. It's just that the embassy gets immunity and is therefore not bound by local laws.
But what if they get the soil from EQUADOR.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
This article is good, 'legal myths about the Assange extradition'.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/08/legal-myths-about-assange-extradition

Apparently one of the conditions Sweeden itself places on extraditing one of their citizens is that the country seeking extradition agrees not to then extradite them to another third country. I don't see why it is so difficult for Sweeden to give such a assurance.
[h=2]Three: “Sweden should guarantee that there be no extradition to USA”[/h]It would not be legally possible for Swedish government to give any guarantee about a future extradition, and nor would it have any binding effect on the Swedish legal system in the event of a future extradition request.
By asking for this 'guarantee', Assange is asking the impossible, as he probably knows. Under international law, all extradition requests have to be dealt with on their merits and in accordance with the applicable law; and any final word on an extradition would (quite properly) be with an independent Swedish court, and not the government giving the purported 'guarantee'.
(See extradition and criminal lawyer Niall McCluskey for further detail on this.)
Also Sweden (like the United Kingdom) is bound by EU and ECHR law not to extradite in circumstances where there is any risk of the death penalty or torture. There would be no extradition to the United States in such circumstances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)