UMAT 2009 - Discussion and Help (1 Viewer)

bradpitt

HSC
Hi I am new to the forum.I am in brisbane and am in YR 11 now.I will be doing YR 12 and UMAT next year.I thought i better start a thread for UMAT 2009 where we can discuss all issues relating to UMAT until the test date.any advice by previous Umaters would be welcome.I enrolled in medentry and finds it ok not too bad. doing the drills atm.I will be doing a speed reading course in the summer holidays.Please contribute to this if you will be thinking of doing UMAT next year.Cheers and have a great weekend.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I'm also doing the UMAT next year :) I've signed up for MedEntry, bought extra AMEPP and other material on BOS (in a CD) and the official ACER booklets too.

Last edited:

bradpitt

HSC
Welcome Exhaust to the thread.Good luck mate. F2F I am thinking of buying from here. what are your thoughts on it.

lozy5

HSC
hey guys...
dont worry too much about it, its not really the sort of thing you can prepare for.. it tests your natural ability, not what youve been trained in.
just relax, read the questions and do your best.
acer book is, in my opinion, only one worth studying as acer does not submit tests to any other organisation.
i got 96th percentile with no practice other than acer... spend the nxt yr working on your hsc, counts just as much and that you can study for

rodders1

HSC
lozy5 said:
hey guys...
dont worry too much about it, its not really the sort of thing you can prepare for.. it tests your natural ability, not what youve been trained in.
acer book is, in my opinion, only one worth studying as acer does not submit tests to any other organisation.
i got 96th percentile with no practice other than acer... spend the nxt yr working on your hsc, counts just as much and that you can study for

Tru some people are naturally talented at lateral thinking and dont need to practice. But dont you want to find out if you are one of those people before the test day? I strongly recommend F2F, i am from coffs and a group of us flew them up for private tuition, it was fantastic. I am NOT one of the naturally good people and i improved my umat so much, got interviews everywhere i applied.

PrettyVacant

HSC
HSC doesn't "count just as much" in many many medical schools - trust me, I've applied to heaps. Sometimes the UAI cut off is quite low - generally low-90's to 95 and sometimes they use a "threshold" system, where as long as you get past that 95 UAI, you're judged purely on UMAT and Interview (think UWS). And at Newcastle they look at your UMAT only for consideration of an interview, then they interview you and that "score" during the interview determines whether you're in. 100 UAI and 94 UAI is equivalent in that case. UMAT is entirely important and you can definitely improve your scores in Section 3 which is all shapes and numbers and crap.

I did Medentry btw, and it was pretty good. Except highly impersonal.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
I was actually typing up a really long and bitchy response to Lozy5 explaining that the UMAT tests fluid intelligence (and ergo, a straight forward method of training) but then I couldn't be assed continuing. (If you're bored and curious, pick up a neuropsychology textbook and get reading.) The UMAT is not an indication of your "natural ability". It's just another test, and like all tests, you can prepare for it.

Half the people sitting in the hall with you would have prepared for the UMAT, and half of them wouldn't have even looked at a proper practice paper. Are you a born genius who can ace the UMAT with no prior exposure, hands down? If you think you're one of the blessed genetic minority, congratulations. On the other hand, if you aren't willing to risk what will ultimately determine the distribution of interviews (and thus OFFERS), then which half would you want to be in? I'd take the prepared half, anyday.

At the very least, you learn to pace yourself during Section 1. Take it from someone who took the UMAT twice-- the first time without training and the second time with-- it helps. (In my case, it saved my sorry ass. My raw score for this year was 212, with 91 in Section 1.) You only get out what you put in, you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink etc etc etc. Taking the course alone isn't enough to guanrentee 99th percentile scores. If you ask me, the real test for intelligence here is how people choose to utilise, study and retain information from their preparation materials.

Face2Face! :D

Buttigieg

Elite Member
HSC
lozy5 said:
hey guys...
yeah, i agree with lozy 5...did the umat this yr only using acer booklets. Let me know if anybody would like to buy mine, they're in perfect condition!

BTW, nice choice of subjects lolzy5 ;)

bradpitt

HSC
I must say without a doubt I agree what was said above.You get what you put in and yes UMAT can be prepared for sure is my opinion too ofcourse you have to have some reasonablenatural ability.From a straw poll I took in Brisbane from people who got interviews this year of the 27 of them 21 did Medentry and The rest did Dallads and F2F.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)