UMAT 2015 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
Hello all, I'm a first year engineering student in UNSW.

Last year i received a umat percentile ranking of 50%. Devastated, I accepted my result and considered the UMAT exam as a test I wouldn't do every again. At the time, I was going through the 2014 umat results discussion thread and came across a post from cobalt blue or blue something (I can't remember) who posted that after re-sitting the umat exam, went from 39 to 95 in percentile rankings. Motivated by this post, I decided to resit the exam and really focus on studying for the UMAT this year. I found out yesterday i got a 100% percentile ranking with scores of 72,75,73.

So I guess, i'm writing this post to motivate anyone who was in a similar situation as I was last year, to redo the favour that the person in the 2014 thread did for me. Thanks, and good luck to anyone reading this
Legend!! Congratulations.

What did you do after your first UMAT results to improve so much?

Fiction

HSC
Hi, I hope the veterans here can help me with these questions.

Several unis indicate selection is based on 40% ATAR + 20% UMAT + 40% Interview.
Noting that with UMAT, score of 230 gives 100%tile whereas 200 gives 99%tile.

Q1: Does a person with 230 have a (30/200) = 15% point advantage (ie. to compensate the other two components),
or only 1% advantage based on the percentiles?

Q2: Regardless whether a uni uses the 40+20+40 formula above, what is my real prospect with 230 and 99.5% ATAR?
I'm in WA, not confident of a place with UWA due to limited number of Assured places.
Not confident either with UTAS due to S2=56 and being interstate.
I'm terrified of flunking interviews at the other unis.

Thanks for your help.
Which unis indicate these weightings?

A1P

HSC
I'm terrified of flunking interviews at the other unis.
I've had a second look at UQLD, it seems UQLD accept applicants with OP1 or >99% ATAR then simply rank them by UMAT score.
Straightforward, no interview?

If so, with 99.5% and 230 can I consider this pretty much as "in the bag" ?

PS: I don't mean to brag, just like to be pointed out if I have misthought something.

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
I've had a second look at UQLD, it seems UQLD accept applicants with OP1 or >99% ATAR then simply rank them by UMAT score.
Straightforward, no interview?

If so, with 99.5% and 230 can I consider this pretty much as "in the bag" ?

PS: I don't mean to brag, just like to be pointed out if I have misthought something.
From poking around on their website, it looks like yes, you can enter into their provisional program with that. Note that you'd an undergrad degree with them first and you'd need to maintain a GPA of 5 (credit average) to keep a guaranteed spot.

Don't be terrified of interviews though. Staying calm and being honest is usually all you need.

iMMORTAL153

HSC
Uni Grad
NEED ADVICE FOR UAC PREFERENCES...
First time doing umat, 69th percentile, S1:54, S2:65, S3:44...
I know its not high enough for an interview, but just wanted to know if you think it might be possible with like a 99.9 atar. I know I could kill the interview if I just had the chance.

I'm aiming for a .95 to get into sydney med but still...

P.S for backup plan:
I'll keep trying for med, doing umat every year and then gamsat...but:
Veterinary medicine at USYD
Med sci at UNSW
Med sci at USYD
or Adv Med sci at WSU (campus is across the road from my house, so would be really convenient)
There are easy HD's at UWS to boost your GPA, great for post grad med. But UNSW has an cool stream where you can transfer from med sci straight into like 3rd year med or something if you are top 10 of cohort (still relies on UMAT), you should research that.

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
NEED ADVICE FOR UAC PREFERENCES...
First time doing umat, 69th percentile, S1:54, S2:65, S3:44...
I know its not high enough for an interview, but just wanted to know if you think it might be possible with like a 99.9 atar. I know I could kill the interview if I just had the chance.

I'm aiming for a .95 to get into sydney med but still...

P.S for backup plan:
I'll keep trying for med, doing umat every year and then gamsat...but:
Veterinary medicine at USYD
Med sci at UNSW
Med sci at USYD
or Adv Med sci at WSU (campus is across the road from my house, so would be really convenient)

Try not to pressure yourself too much to get a 99.95, just try your best and see what you get.

It's very wise of you to be thinking about how to order your preferences though.
What I can say on your options is:

- Vet med is a good degree, but it's not altogether similar to human medicine. Do your research to make sure being a vet would be the lifestyle you want.
- Med sci can be a slippery slope. Don't do it purely with the intent of getting into medicine, because there's no guarantee that you will - if you're doing a med sci degree, you should be interested in other pathways like medical research. If your only goal is to get into medicine, you're probably better off doing a course that interests you and also offers more flexibility for future pathways. That way you can work at a higher GPA and also have more options if you graduate and don't make it into medicine.
That being said if you're legitimately interested in med sci and the non-doctor jobs it can give you, then go for it.
- The three universities you have listed are all good, some people say that WSU may be easier in terms of getting a high GPA, though I wouldn't altogether bank on that, many factors will play into your own individual results. Pull up the course handbooks for all these degrees and read them. Choose the course that matches the structure you like and you're most happy to go to. The closeness of WSU is actually a solid plus, would make life easier, speaking as someone who heads to UNSW from out west every day (though I have no regrets, I love UNSW). They're all great universities though.

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Chance of interview at UWS?
GWS student
ATAR: 98+
UMAT: Percentile: 96
S1:67, S2: 54, S3: 71
Congrats on the result, I say you'd have a fair shot at an interview with WSU.

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Btw, just to throw it out here guys, we're all just people on a random internet forum, so don't put too much weight on anyone's words.

Make sure you speak to knowledgable people irl, and do your own research from proper sources.
Read course handbooks and such.

ksmithy

HSC
N/A
It's my first time doing umat and I received a really low score (<150). Should I not include med at any uni in my uac application? I don't think that score would be enough to get an interview regardless of atar.. thanks!!

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
It's my first time doing umat and I received a really low score (<150). Should I not include med at any uni in my uac application? I don't think that score would be enough to get an interview regardless of atar.. thanks!!
If you don't get any interview offers, there'd be no point in having the courses in your UAC preferences anyway, so I'm not sure I understand your question.

alun0722

HSC
N/A
Can anyone estimate my chance of getting into UQ dentistry with a 183 (92%tile) and 62 on section 1?

Cheers! :)

yippie_

HSC
Hello all, I'm a first year engineering student in UNSW.

Last year i received a umat percentile ranking of 50%. Devastated, I accepted my result and considered the UMAT exam as a test I wouldn't do every again. At the time, I was going through the 2014 umat results discussion thread and came across a post from cobalt blue or blue something (I can't remember) who posted that after re-sitting the umat exam, went from 39 to 95 in percentile rankings. Motivated by this post, I decided to resit the exam and really focus on studying for the UMAT this year. I found out yesterday i got a 100% percentile ranking with scores of 72,75,73.

So I guess, i'm writing this post to motivate anyone who was in a similar situation as I was last year, to redo the favour that the person in the 2014 thread did for me. Thanks, and good luck to anyone reading this

I'm in the same situation at the moment. By any chance, could you tell me how you prepared for UMAT the second time?! Thanks!

alun0722

HSC
N/A
You could get into med if you wanted to lol (provided you get OP1)
Can't do cuz I'm a non-standard )':

lol so I do have a chance of getting into UQ dent is that right?

Last edited:

samwr

HSC
What are my chances with med at unsw/uws/une-jmp with atar estimate of ~97.45 and umat 92 percentile?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)