UMAT Courses (1 Viewer)

NDSUTHERLAND

HSC
Hey,
I'm looking for UMAT Courses atm, and i'm just wanting to know which are the best to do.
I've seen MedEntry and the Icarus one. Could anyone recommend a UMAT course?
Thank for the help :)

pravski

HSC
medentry screwed me over - their section 2 was all about scenario questions, when the actual UMAT was more about reading into the feelings of characters etc.

But it did help for sections 1 and 3.

If you can afford it, go to both.

Hurri

HSC
I did the Medentry one and i have to say that the practice exams were THE BOMB. It helped alot by adding in the timer and keeping the pressure on me. i found all sections pretty accurate and while Pravski is correct in saying there were more "feeling" question in last years UMAT, medentry constantly updates their questions to try and match the real thing.

For section 3, i used to be hopeless with the shapes, and i found the old "agoneyes" program helped. After a few weeks of drilling with the program, i could pick out most type I shapes within 10 to 20 seconds. That saved alot of time so i could do the patterns.

Because it's so much easier to get good at type I shapes, my strat for sect 3 was to go in and:

-do all type I really quickly
-skip type II's and goto patterns
-finish Type II's if time permits.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
you might also want to try AMEPP, although i found (in 2003 anyway) that they didn't focus on interviewing techniques much.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Which I would consider a bonus, since the less time you waste prepping for interviews (in terms of "technique"), the less of a fraud you'll appear to the interviewers.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Which I would consider a bonus, since the less time you waste prepping for interviews (in terms of "technique"), the less of a fraud you'll appear to the interviewers.
In my humble opinion, simple things like keeping an open body posture and being conscious of whether you appear attentive or not are surely just two examples of little refinements you can make by prepping...

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
I've enrolled for AMEPP already.
I've spoken to a couple of med students and the general consensus is AMEPP.
Icarus is SHITE, medentry is decent but a drawback is that its all online , and personally i work much better with hard copy, and NIE has some ok material but its only a one day seminar, as opposed to the others which are two days.
So AMEPP seems to be the way to go.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Estel said:
In my humble opinion, simple things like keeping an open body posture and being conscious of whether you appear attentive or not are surely just two examples of little refinements you can make by prepping...
Actually you do make a good point. These were always things I considered to be intuitive, natural. However, on reflection there certainly are people who need to be taught this kind of body language and so I suppose that kind of "preparation" would be beneficial.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
So the general sentiment is that MedEntry and Amepp are the way to go and Icarus is crap.

Is this correct?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Put it this way - for $400 I could get myself a swish 19" LCD monitor, and that would be more help to my UMAT than anything you'd learn from he that plunges to his doom. You'd also get to keep it afterwards, which is more than a certain foolishly named institution offers.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Put it this way - for $400 I could get myself a swish 19" LCD monitor, and that would be more help to my UMAT than anything you'd learn from he that plunges to his doom. You'd also get to keep it afterwards, which is more than a certain foolishly named institution offers.
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that all the UMAT prep courses aren't worth it?

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
He that plunges to his doom - reference to a certain greek myth.
i.e. only referring to one of the UMAT prep couses.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Oops, I guess I should have picked that up. I guess I'm not as smart as you guys.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Lexicographer said:

DUDE
you could get a PSP man + some games

fluffy

HSC
N/A
Meh, I did AMEPP 2 years ago.. got crap results but still managed to get an interview in UNSW.. rejected..

I didn't do any UMAT prep last year.. got crap results as well but a bit better than 2 years ago.. managed to get another interview in UNSW.. offered a place..

I think that's just me though.. LUCK is surely an important factor ;)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
fluffy said:
Meh, I did AMEPP 2 years ago.. got crap results but still managed to get an interview in UNSW.. rejected..
I didn't do any UMAT prep last year.. got crap results as well but a bit better than 2 years ago.. managed to get another interview in UNSW.. offered a place..
I think that's just me though.. LUCK is surely an important factor ;)
Wow, nice work. Anyone who gets into medicine has my admiration because it's my dream to make it into med.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)