UMAT Results (1 Viewer)

Medman

HSC
Congratulations to those that managed to obtain a decent mark. Commiserations for those that didn't do so well.

My advice to medicine hopefuls. Get in early into medicine, it will get harder and harder as the years go on (not just for entering medicine but obtaining training positions after graduating). Don't do the GAMSAT if you have a choice it's the worst exam I have ever taken your brain will be drained by the end of it (although I did get 97%). You can study for it more so than for the UMAT but imo studying UMAT was a lot easier. GAMSAT costs more ~$400 (now I think) and you need to put in months and months of study if you don't have a science background.

Your raw scores don't matter that much it's your percentile mark as every year the test is different so the scores will be different. The bell curve will be different and scores to percentile conversions change. If you get anything above 85+ percentile you might get an interview offer from UWS. You probably need 80 percentile + a high predicted ATAR to get an interview for UNSW.

Finally, for those that think you can't practice for the interview. You are wrong, the medicine interview is basically a job interview. If you thought you could handle it yourself like when I was in year 12 you are probably naive unless you've had lots extra-curricular experience. Get on it ASAP, seek a mentor if you can someone who knows the ins and outs. I will be running a few workshops for medicine hopefuls (UWS & UNSW) so you can contact me for more details.

Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:

mar101

HSC
got 200 - 98% which was way higher than expected. But i only got 58 for section 2 which is approx 45 percentile - does anyone know if certain unis look into S2 marks more so than the others, e.g. how uws has that 2:2:1 ratio?
You'll get in for sure!

themayday

HSC
got 200 - 98% which was way higher than expected. But i only got 58 for section 2 which is approx 45 percentile - does anyone know if certain unis look into S2 marks more so than the others, e.g. how uws has that 2:2:1 ratio?
WOW congratulations! :)

I got 182 which is 91 percentile.
Holy crap I was expecting to get 40% but I guess i got lucky
I got that too :) Congrats!

Overall: 182
Percentile: 91

Btw does anyone think I'd be able to get into optometry with this UMAT score but an ATAR lower than 97/98?

Medman

HSC
You'll get in for sure!
There is no guarantee. You shouldn't be complacent with a high UMAT score. My friend got 99.90 ATAR and 99% UMAT no offers for UNSW because he flunked his interview. Important 3 components.

Last edited:

Makematics

HSC
There is no guarantee. You shouldn't be complacent with a high UMAT score. My friend got 99.90 ATAR and 99% UMAT no offers for UNSW because he flunked his interview. Important 3 components.
Wow...

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
S1: 59
S2: 58 (Weird - I was expecting like 20)
S3: 50

Overall: 166
Percentile: 75%

TBH I wasn't even sure that I really wanted to do medicine and I guess now this clears things up. I will give non-standard a shot if I decide I really want to do it.

Blackman 50 cent

HSC
what is the overall score mean, is the overall score your percentile rank.

What mark does the universities look at?

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You'll get an interview at most places as long as your ATAR is good
No UNCLE/UNE or UQ though

S1: 59
S2: 58 (Weird - I was expecting like 20)
S3: 50

Overall: 166
Percentile: 75%

TBH I wasn't even sure that I really wanted to do medicine and I guess now this clears things up. I will give non-standard a shot if I decide I really want to do it.
Section two scaled differently this year so that is like like a 30-something~~~

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
Section two scaled differently this year so that is like like a 30-something~~~
Yeah I just looked at the graphs then. My S2 score is in the ~45th percentile. Hah...
Makes more sense really considering I thought a 50-year-old sexual predator cracking onto a young guy was a 20-year-old woman and answered accordingly. :p

Bumbleb33

HSC
Yeah I just looked at the graphs then. My S2 score is in the ~45th percentile. Hah...
Makes more sense really considering I thought a 50-year-old sexual predator cracking onto a young guy was a 20-year-old woman and answered accordingly. :p
hahaha same

i ended up getting 88% though but s2 was my weakest haha

can i get in anywhere or should i just not bother applying?

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
hahaha same

Woah nice! I don't know much about admissions, but you should definitely still apply.

koreafantasy

HSC
Fml. 83 atar estimate for trials, and now i get 61% percentile. barely above fucking average. I give up on academics. this is absolutely pathetic. wasnt going to do med but still, pretty de-moralising to know that you find out you are stupid and simple-minded. and all you people getting 88, 91, 98 etc, makes me feel i should drop out of school and just become a freaking tradie.

leesh95

HSC
Extremely awful. TBH I don't even think I have the qualities to be a doctor but I just hate disappointing my parents.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
ultimate cricker

jungie

HSC
Fml. 83 atar estimate for trials, and now i get 61% percentile. barely above fucking average. I give up on academics. this is absolutely pathetic. wasnt going to do med but still, pretty de-moralising to know that you find out you are stupid and simple-minded. and all you people getting 88, 91, 98 etc, makes me feel i should drop out of school and just become a freaking tradie.
Get over it Eugene. Maybe it's time to try and stop taking down the grade median.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

Seriously, you're not even aspiring to study medicine and you're letting a meaningless test demotivate you. It defies logic.

83 ATAR? Lots of people will dream of that and you should by no means compare yourself to this site which is centered on very high achievers. ATAR isn't about intelligence. It's about how much you study. The fact that you're registered on a study forum, posting on a Saturday, at 7:00AM tells me that you're doing better than the average kid in the state. At least get your act together for the externals. If you do well in them, obviously your ATAR estimate, or should I say unreliable guesstimate can increase.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
45th percentile is lower than my 47 last year. Haha

hahaha same

UNCLE, UWS, UNSW, everywhere!!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you think you want medicine now but didn't get in the first time round, just do something like BSc (or BSc (Adv)) and try again next year. I found that I actually liked the idea of research and possibly even academia more than being a doctor - and it's probably something I like more too. If you find that you still want to do medicine, then try again - because if you don't, it means you never really wanted it in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)