umat S3 (1 Viewer)

>monkey<

HSC
hey all
i bought that umat practice booklet n im absolutely clueless about section 3!!..im ok with type 1 shapes but im pretty lost with the sequence patterns ...i had a look at the trial of superkeeneye and it doesnt seem to be to similar to the practice Qs acer sent out ..ne one have ne suggestion on how i could practice for the sequence patterns?
thanks in advance

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
IMO exposure.. and practice
eventualli ure brain will work it out.. it took me bout 1 week up to 14 hrs..

before it all clicked.. lik even type 2 shapes start to work out. ..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, for §III the only thing that can really help you is working through them slowly, getting familiar with the format and nature of the question, and figuring it out. With time you will become more familiar with them, more aware of the different kinds of pattern etc to be looking for.

I'll tell you a story. Immediately after my first UMAT, I was shuffling past the rows when I heard a typical 4u maths Ruse boy talking to another 4u maths Ruse boy. They were saying how they just couldn't figure out a certain problem. When I heard the description, I couldn't help but smile.

It was a simple sequence of squares - 1, 4, 9, 16. Only took me a brief glance to figure out, but these boys who spent 40% of their time playing with numbers couldn't find it at all.

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
does that mean that they give u math sequences in the umat? i thought it was just 'figure out what shape is in the middle", or "which one comes next in the sequence..."

:S

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
queenie said:
does that mean that they give u math sequences in the umat? i thought it was just 'figure out what shape is in the middle", or "which one comes next in the sequence..."

:S
when i did it they used both sequences with pictures and numbers.

>monkey<

HSC
that sqaure sequence is pretty easy :p lol ...the boolet that acer sent me was pretty damn hard!...some of the patterns are just weird lol
so does ne one know a good place i can practice for Section 3 ...good programs? sites? books? etc..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Not mathematical sequences. Don't expect to find the Euler formula or other calculus fun (hee critical damping! :D) but they DO expect you to be able to recognise numerical patterns (like the sequence of squares I mentioned).

It's not like you're up against a Mandelbrot set or something.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Pointdexter is a Ruse boy? :D

I got the UMAT Booklet too - Type I, III and IV I can cope with, but Type II is beyond me. Any advice on it from the veterans? Also, was the percentage of Type I, II, III and IV about equal in the 2004 UMAT?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
mabbe ... ... .. .. ure not tat quick at 11:40am are u?

with type II
its realli a matter of exposure and again it takes alot of time.. i say pattern match with neighbouring .. u could imagine its lik tetris? i dunno but usualli there arent too many compared to type I.. but im an old now.... u should do wat ure solid at..

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmm for section three (shapes in the box) the acer booklet is considerably easier than the NIE stuff i've been doing. But then again i doubt there will be that many type 1/type 2 questions in this years umat.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Re: Nit

No it's not difficult, but it is complex (oh the wit).

Re: Alvin

YES! TETRIS! Maybe that's why we were able to do it. Gamer-docs of the world, unite! The secret to UMAT is tetris!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Re: Nit

No it's not difficult, but it is complex (oh the wit).

Re: Alvin

YES! TETRIS! Maybe that's why we were able to do it. Gamer-docs of the world, unite! The secret to UMAT is tetris!

oh yeah, very good point...hmmm

so today's lesson is "play games instead of studying"

oh and what a great way to bring up a dead thread, advertising some new umat product 2wks before the umat :D

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Yeah, well... It's never really too late. It might help somebody.

RyBo

HSC
it helped me,
they wont let me do UMAT until i'm manly enough (or in year 12) :D
Also, heaps of people will be cramming for UMAT right now, - I know I will be next year, even if I practice continuously.

Last edited:

stargaze

HSC
from the umat 2005 practice bookl;et

can anyone whose done it explain section 3, q48?
ie.. whats going on exactly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)