• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UMAT thoughts and discussion (1 Viewer)

Siddy123

HSC
lol

that's not how it works babe

some q's aren't in all the papers to confuse people and stop them asking questions and stuff

i remember all these people had a crow eating worms question to solve last year but i had a business relationship problem solving question instead, they had the same basic workout but the questions were just presented in a different context to discourage people from talking about the exam questions afterwards
yeah i know that the exams are different but apparently there are trial questions in there, idk haha.

yasminee96

HSC
yeah i know that the exams are different but apparently there are trial questions in there, idk haha.
There are trial questions from what I know, but usually only a few people get them. In the case of the positive/negative firing, i'd say majority of people did get it. Not many people said they saw a earth/moon question (i know i didn't). But think about it, to make space for a trial question, they need to get rid of another question. So perhaps those few that didn't get the positive/negative shooting question had a trial question instead? Not sure...

Pretty sure the positive/negative firing wasn't a trial though :(

BlugyBlug

HSC
I finished 20 mins early. Complete 100% guesses on ~5-10 questions (ran out of time..i spent the last 20 minutes stuck on like 3 questions)
Maybe 5 more questions were educated guesses (i.e. eliminate a few answers then guess remaining)
Probably got like 10(?) section 2 questions wrong, because no matter how sure you are for that section you'll always get something stupidly wrong.

Did well in most section 3 except the fucking letters in boxes (GGGGGGGGGGG) and 3x3 grid with hearts and stars.
Had trouble with: Heart disease/attack flowchart with risks (no time D:), the button game WXYZ thing (no time), pick the middle with the butterfly with shaded wings, among others.

w/e

Do they deduct marks for wrong answers or just give you 0? I heard they deduct marks but the booklet for sure said "given 0" so yeah.

@The girl who was constantly coughing in the distance, near the front left of the showgrounds: Fuck you. Could hear you all the way back at section P.
@ACER: Test was incredibly unfair, the tables at the far back section of the hall were noticeably of higher quality. what the fuck? Also next time get people to leave in groups at a time, instead of having 6000 people in a mass-clusterfuckorgypig at the end of the exam near the doors.

Last edited:

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I failed :O
Relying on a miracle.

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
Do they deduct marks for wrong answers or just give you 0? I heard they deduct marks but the booklet for sure said "given 0" so yeah.

@The girl who was constantly coughing in the distance, near the front left of the showgrounds: Fuck you. Could hear you all the way back at section P.
No I'm pretty sure they don't negative mark. They don't reveal anything about their marking process but from what others have said I think some questions are weighted more heavily depending on how many people got them right or wrong, ie if a lot of people got it right they deem the question easy and weight it less. IDK though.

And arrgh where I was there was this woman behind me who wouldn't stop asking the invigilator questions and towards the end of the exam when I was really trying to rush it she called them over and they had a nice chat and a laugh. Soo distracting.

iBibah

HSC
No I'm pretty sure they don't negative mark. They don't reveal anything about their marking process but from what others have said I think some questions are weighted more heavily depending on how many people got them right or wrong, ie if a lot of people got it right they deem the question easy and weight it less. IDK though.

And arrgh where I was there was this woman behind me who wouldn't stop asking the invigilator questions and towards the end of the exam when I was really trying to rush it she called them over and they had a nice chat and a laugh. Soo distracting.
You lose 1/3 of a mark for every question you get wrong.

That's what the guy who owns medentry said.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
@ACER: Test was incredibly unfair, the tables at the far back section of the hall were noticeably of higher quality. what the fuck? Also next time get people to leave in groups at a time, instead of having 6000 people in a mass-clusterfuckorgypig at the end of the exam near the doors.
The acer officers had the nerve to tell me to hurry up because I waited for the crowd to thin out before trying to get to my bag.

"Stop talking to your friends"

Deliriously

HSC
You lose 1/3 of a mark for every question you get wrong.

That's what the guy who owns medentry said.
You don't get marks deducted for an incorrect answer.
* All questions have the same value, therefore by attempting as many questions as possible you stand the best chance of maximising your score. No marks are deducted for a wrong answer.
http://umat.acer.edu.au/sit

koreafantasy

HSC
Section 1 questions- Fuck that shit i cbb reading all that and understanding the context of the question just for ONE QUESTION. These questions took up most of my three hours and I ran out of time at question 131 and had to guess all A's all the way to 134fml :'(

Section 2 questions- As you are reading the passage, just sit and think 'What would you feel if you were in that scenario'. Half of the time, you won't have a clue because you haven't been in that scenario (lol 55yrold pedo guy and the fat girl who hid a sandwich under her armpit). The other half, you can relate to the passage (the 17yrold girl friendzoning the uni guy) and answer questions accordingly

Section 3 questions- For 'next in the sequence' and 'what best matches the picture' questions, focus on ONE shape/feature at a time. Say you have a bunch of circles, stars, striped background, shaded background, look for a pattern in one of those shapes, ignore the rest. once you know it, then go to your options and eliminate any of them that dont match. Then go onto the next shape, repeat process etc. For 'Whats the middle of the pattern' questions, if you can't get the pattern immediately, stop looking for one. Find pairs 'opposites' of pictures. They will be your 1st and 5th in the sequence. Then find another pair of similarly, but less 'opposite' pictures. They will be your 2nd and 4th in the sequence. Then you are left with the 'odd one out'- the middle in the sequence. For eg,

Find the middle of this sequence

a) Brown b) Green c) Black d) White e) Ivory

As you can see, the pattern is how 'hardcore' the colour is. Black being hardcore, white being completely softcore. Black and White are complete opposites, so you delete black and white. Ivory and Brown are less of an outlier colour, but are nevertheless opposites, so you delete them. Then you're left with b) Green as its the only one left in your 5 options.

Don't waste your money on medentry, if you really need to practice, buy practice papers. It is a lot better to make up your own strategy than to try copy someone else's.

Web Addict

HSC
Just wondering, did anyone buy the MedEntry package? What do you guys think of it? Mine seems a bit dodgy because a few of the drills are missing and some of the images are missing from the documents, meaning that I can't do some of the questions. Also, the multiple-choice doesn't work. Is anyone experiencing this or is it just me?

bhsrepresent

HSC
The acer officers had the nerve to tell me to hurry up because I waited for the crowd to thin out before trying to get to my bag.

"Stop talking to your friends"
My stupid officer kept walking past and straightening my answer sheet, as well as putting my bottle on the floor twice during the exam. argh

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Fuck it guys just come to JCU.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
that wouldn't make sense

Because the most popular answer isn't always the correct one.

Now since you've put it out there, and that everyone knows it! My chances are limited :O
I'm praying that I get in somehow :/
they only have like 10/20 places for non-standards
And you need a good ATAR

leesh95

HSC
They need to train the examiners better next time. These three examiners kept chatting right behind me for at least half an hour. Also I was right next to the bathroom FML. It was really hard to concentrate.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
they only have like 10/20 places for non-standards
And you need a good ATAR
Atar for school leavers, I'm non-standard.. probably will take my GPA into account!!

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I really hope this is untrue
same... some people I know left the MCs blank (for those they were unsure of).
I really hope that they don't deduct any marks. But they shouldn't as they mentioned it in their document.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I really hope this is untrue
acer has basically said in the past that medentry know shit all about how UMAT is done

Atar for school leavers, I'm non-standard.. probably will take my GPA into account!!
they'll probably take both
But you need a stellar application
And interview
They don't take many non-standards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)