UMelb vs Monash BA/LLB (1 Viewer)

aglenis

HSC
Hey guys,
Im looking at doing a Bachelor of Arts and possibly (if i happen to get the ENTER/UAI) a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws. UMelb does have the higher world ranking (22nd vs 38th respectively). UMelb probably has the higher prestige but Monash apparently has a more practical LLB. Monash is easier to get to but i prefer the general atmosphere of UMelb's Parkville campus.

Suggestions, advice and opinions would be much apprecieated

lala2

Banned
HSC
What are you looking for out of your Arts degree? Is there some major that one uni is better in than the others? I'm only focusing on it as it seems to be evenly split and you don't seem too sure that you can get the marks for Law. So basically:

- UMELB--nice atmosphere, higher world ranking
- Monash--more practical, easier to get to

Is there anything else to that list you want to add?

aglenis

HSC
For Arts, im looking at doing possibly linguistics and political science. UMelb offers both of these and offers planning and design also under their BA, which if i went to Umelb, i would probably do.
Monash offers both lingustics and politics but not planning and design, which i have a genuine interest in.

If i happen not to get the score for law straight off, what attracts me to Monash is the fact that apparently 30-40% of their law intake is internal (students either transferring or in other adding law to form a double degree).
To be able to transfer after 1st year, you need to have maintained a distinction average throughout the 3 year undergraduate degree.
At UMelb however, as of 2008 law will become postgrad, meaning that you must complete your BA before you actually do law.

Initially, i was certain that i wanted to do BA/LLB at UMelb but the new graduate entry has changed things.
Ideally if i do get the score, i will do a BA/LLB at UMelb, however if i dont, it is then that i am not sure which one to choose - this is where i am unsure

katrea

HSC
I was just about to mention the new scheme for UMelb. But don't sweat too much on picking high dream courses on the top, it's pretty much what people do. I'm pretty much in a similiar position as I'm having troubles with choosing what Uni and choosing the right direction

You mention Melbourne University's atmosphere. Now I don't want to be mean or anything, but is it because it's conveniently located in the city? I did Literature Enhancement studies at Melbourne Uni, which included me taking lectures and tutorials there and I did not feel like there was a very ideal environment there - they drag you around during orientation and try to make you guys meet each other but apart from that, I don't see that much of an atmosphere apart from "ooh old buildings. Pretty lawns.". Overall, my sister and my brother both have been to Melb Uni and they've both tried to assure me that Melbourne University doesn't offer any more than what's expected in their name and such. They were a little disappointed as well.

Melb Uni's rankings are mostly used possibly if you want to go overseas to continue your studies/seek employment. And as well higher ranking doesn't equal quality sometimes. It can just suggest extra resources and many have criticised different rankings.

I'd like to ask a couple of people who know about the Arts as I'm looking into possibly a Media/Journalism field. Of course those sort of things require things such as experience, skills and opportunities. I want to know what kind of things Monash/Melbourne have compared to each other.

And as a quick question, I know Melbourne Uni promises post-graduate HECS spots. But I'm very concerned as how many there are and whether this is dependant on different factors.

gorgo31

HSC
For media, Melbourne sucks. I don't know about Monash. Essentially, B Media & Communications at Melbourne is an enhanced Arts degree with some more media theory and a bit of practical writing. That's it. If you really want a media degree which is going to get you somewhere in the industry, you do it at RMIT or in NSW, at UTS. Otherwise I think that you're going to be disappointed. I know several people doing the degree, and not many enjoy it.

Also, with the graduate law program, already many of the entry requirements have been announced. It's going to be bloody competitive, with a Legal Admissions test and a very strong undergraduate average. I'd say that if you got an offer from Monash to do combined law, do it there.

phrred

HSC
CSU has arguably the best media course in the country

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)