• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

undergrad degrees that provide a straight pathway to medicine (2 Viewers)

momothemonkey

HSC
hey guys, i was just wondering if a bachelor of medical sciences undergrad degree is the same as a doctor of medicine degree because i recently saw a double degree offered by macquarie uni thats a bachelor of medical sciences and bachelor of laws degree that claims after doing this course you have the option to become either a doctor or a lawyer.
however when i looked at the minimum atar for a bachelor of medical sciences degree it was 88 for UNSW so im very doubtful its the same. hypothetically, if i were to do the macquarie uni degree then what other steps would i need to take to get into medicine and/or are there other courses besides a doctor of medicine that can guarantee a postgrad, etc. into medicine?

also if anyone knows of any other double degrees that encompass an equivalent to a doctor of medicine and a bachelor of laws in australia or even internationally that would be greatly appreciated as well!

tysm and enjoy the rest of your day :)

nsw..wollongong

dentista 😍🫶
HSC
theres arent many unis that gaurantee postgrad entry into med apart from some biomed assured pathways where there are still hurdles and interviews throughout that u need to sit, (entry into doctor of med is conditional and u need ucat to get in at first). the med sci option at Macquarie doesn't guarantee that ull become a doctor, ud have to sit the gamsat and interviews to get into postgrad med at macq or any other uni. its similar to some unis where they say "take this degree and if ur in the top 10% of ur cohort ur guaranteed a postgrad med interview" when in reality that's so hard to maintain over 3 yrs and you STILL have to sit the gamsat. nothing is guaranteed unfortunately.
there are unis like usyd that do bach. arts or science into doctor of medicine but again, that's not something like a straight bachelor of medicine at JCU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)