undergrad med (1 Viewer)

magchem07

Open Up!
HSC
Hi,

Is it possible to transfer to med or I better say to do undergraduate med while you are doing the third year(final year)of your degree?so if you were successful you would start undegrad med the next year after finishing your degree?

Thanks

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Sure.

But keep in mind that some universities do not consider you if you have tertiary experience. For Example, The University of Adelaide won't accept you. Just do some research.

Have you done the UMAT? If so, what was your score?

You will also need a fairly good GPA or WAM.

EDIT: Not to poach BOS members or anything but I suggest you head over to http://www.medstudentsonline.com/forums/index.php as you'll be able to obtain much more information. There are many med students, med hopefuls and a very wise Chinaski which I'm sure would answer any questions that you have. :)

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
monash as well...
1/ transfer are possible.. but u get no credits.. so u start 1st yr from other degrees.. except the Dentistry degree. (BDS, BDent, BDSc etc)

Can u rephrase ure 2nd option question?...
"do undergraduate med while you are doing the third year(final year)of your degree?"

i took that as meaning concurrently.. its not possible.. unless ure in medicine .. doing medicine 3rd yr + BSc/BA or LLB.. or Other.. but not the other way round.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
monash as well...
1/ transfer are possible.. but u get no credits.. so u start 1st yr from other degrees.. except the Dentistry degree. (BDS, BDent, BDSc etc)

"do undergraduate med while you are doing the third year(final year)of your degree?"

i took that as meaning concurrently.. its not possible.. unless ure in medicine .. doing medicine 3rd yr + BSc/BA or LLB.. or Other.. but not the other way round.
Oh right, I only skimmed the first post so yeah anyway pointy here is wise, listen to what he said. :p

magchem07

Open Up!
HSC
Thanks heaps guys!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:

well I mean I will do my third year next year and I want to do Umat again and apply for med(undergard) for 2009.So eventhough I will be graduate in 2008 can I apply for undergrad med?

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
magchem07 said:
Thanks heaps guys!

well I mean I will do my third year next year and I want to do Umat again and apply for med(undergard) for 2009.So eventhough I will be graduate in 2008 can I apply for undergrad med?
From what I recall, yes, you can.

But most people apply for grad med as the duration of grad med is shorter.

Undergrad med = 5/6 yrs

Grad Med = 4 yrs

The only thing is that the GAMSAT need for grad med scares me shitless.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
magchem07 said:
Thanks heaps guys!

yes u can. do that.

lik Yr 3 of course + UMAT + Applications.. in 2008
then Med 1... in 2009 hopefully.

heres what i have *heard*...
ppl do the UMAT one as like a backup... cos like u never know that u might not make a GAMSAT school..

lik think about it.. if u get rejected from all the 4-4.5 yr courses tat req GAMSAT.. and u get an offer to a 5 yr course tat req UMAT..
why not take it?
cos if u got accepted into the 4-4.5 yr course the following yr.. ud be 5-5.5 yrs to graduation.. so its not bad to take the 5 yr course anyways.

alternatively some graduates do not like the pressure of Grad-entry schools... basically if ure not from a very "competitive" undergraduate course.. u may not be use to the pressure of being up against the other grads/masters grads/PhDs.. and a Med course with just yr 12 leavers and UMAT ppl would be ideal to get back into the swing of things..

The GAMSAT and its science/essays can be quite hard since time management is a heavy focus. the UMAT is lateral thinking and basically no science but rather assertions and intepretation of information. different persons may do one exam better than the other.

Essentially the decision is based on maximising chances and lifestyle choices as well. If you can justify working another yr and reapplying instead of moving interstate then do what makes u happy :)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yes u can. do that.

lik Yr 3 of course + UMAT + Applications.. in 2008
then Med 1... in 2009 hopefully.

heres what i have *heard*...
ppl do the UMAT one as like a backup... cos like u never know that u might not make a GAMSAT school..

lik think about it.. if u get rejected from all the 4-4.5 yr courses tat req GAMSAT.. and u get an offer to a 5 yr course tat req UMAT..
why not take it?
cos if u got accepted into the 4-4.5 yr course the following yr.. ud be 5-5.5 yrs to graduation.. so its not bad to take the 5 yr course anyways.

alternatively some graduates do not like the pressure of Grad-entry schools... basically if ure not from a very "competitive" undergraduate course.. u may not be use to the pressure of being up against the other grads/masters grads/PhDs.. and a Med course with just yr 12 leavers and UMAT ppl would be ideal to get back into the swing of things..

The GAMSAT and its science/essays can be quite hard since time management is a heavy focus. the UMAT is lateral thinking and basically no science but rather assertions and intepretation of information. different persons may do one exam better than the other.

Essentially the decision is based on maximising chances and lifestyle choices as well. If you can justify working another yr and reapplying instead of moving interstate then do what makes u happy :)
*bows down to pointy's awesomeness*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)