Undergraduate Mathematics Marathon (1 Viewer)

glittergal96

HSC
There was a marathon thread in this subforum that died a long time ago, so I am going to try to start a new one for people to post, solve, and discuss undergraduate mathematics problems. (Of course things like the stackexchange already exist that are fantastic for this purpose, but it would be nice for our community to be able to discuss this level of mathematics and share interesting problems.)

As the topics possible to discuss are very broad, if your problems have fairly specific/niche required knowledge to attack, you should mention this.

Feel free to post problems of any difficulty, but as problems are unlikely to be answered chronologically, please number your problems so they are easier to refer to.

(Also, use your common sense about what you are allowed to take as assumed knowledge. If you assume enough, then any undergraduate problem will be trivial.)

To start us off with a couple of basic problems:

1. Find as nice as possible an expression for , where a,b and f are smooth functions. (Standard first year calculus.)

2. Find all solutions to a given arbitrary linear ODE with constant coefficients. (First year calculus / linear algebra).

3. Show that a continuous function on a compact metric space is uniformly continuous. (First course in metric spaces or topology.)

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
There was a marathon thread in this subforum that died a long time ago, so I am going to try to start a new one for people to post, solve, and discuss undergraduate mathematics problems. (Of course things like the stackexchange already exist that are fantastic for this purpose, but it would be nice for our community to be able to discuss this level of mathematics and share interesting problems.)

As the topics possible to discuss are very broad, if your problems have fairly specific/niche required knowledge to attack, you should mention this.

Feel free to post problems of any difficulty, but as problems are unlikely to be answered chronologically, please number your problems so they are easier to refer to.

(Also, use your common sense about what you are allowed to take as assumed knowledge. If you assume enough, then any undergraduate problem will be trivial.)

To start us off with a couple of basic problems:

1. Find as nice as possible an expression for , where a,b and f are smooth functions. (Standard first year calculus.)

2. Find all solutions to a given arbitrary linear ODE with constant coefficients. (First year calculus / linear algebra).

3. Show that a continuous function on a compact metric space is uniformly continuous. (First course in metric spaces or topology.)

The simplest form, appears to be, as far as my attempts go, is:

Also not sure what you mean by arbitrary linear ODE.

glittergal96

HSC
The simplest form, appears to be, as far as my attempts go, is:

Also not sure what you mean by arbitrary linear ODE.
I am reasonably sure that your expression for (1) is not correct (although it looks close to what one of the terms in a correct expression is, it might even match this term), I can provide a counter-example after doing some housework if you would like.

Arbitrary linear ODE with constant coefficients simply means an ordinary differential equation of the form

(I should have also mentioned homogenous, otherwise there would be something nonzero on the RHS.)

Indeed the method you suggest is how we solve such things (in the no multiplicity case), but how do you know these are the only solutions? (By the nature of your method, you are only finding all exponential solutions.)

Last edited:

glittergal96

HSC
So a simple counterexample to the attempt at the differentiation under the integral question is given by:

f(x,t)=x, a(x)=a, b(x)=b.

You might find it easier to split the problem up into the two individual things going on here

a) the interval of integration is changing as x changes
b) the integrand is changing as x changes.

The end result comes from considering both of these effects.

glittergal96

HSC
For 2, as Paradoxica mentioned, we can find n linearly independent exponential solutions. (Let's assume the polynomial only has simple roots for now, although the case of roots with multiplicity > 1 is not much harder).

To show then that these are the only solutions, it suffices to show that an n-th order linear ODE with constant coefficients has a solution set that has dimension n as a vector subspace of the space of smooth functions. This kind of statement should strongly indicate an inductive argument.

glittergal96

HSC
For 3, it is useful to consider the function d(f(x),f(y)) defined on the product space K x K.

seanieg89

HSC
A beautiful problem if one knows some real analysis:

F is a smooth function defined on the interval [0,1] such that at every x in [0,1], a derivative of some order of F vanishes. (Using one-sided differentiation at the boundary.)

Prove that F is a polynomial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)