UNE On-campus Accommodation (1 Viewer)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Whats accommadation like?

Yep - all rooms have internet access - it cost $100 to set it up though (pretty cheap for the convenience). The computer rooms are crap mostly.

kezryn

HSC

machine169 said:
At the recent northern university games we got gold in girls hockey, some of the girls coming from Austin. We also got a silver in Rugby with a mixture of people from the different colleges-mainly from Robb and Albies.
we actually got silver in the girls hockey.. i was in the team.. and alot of the team are from robb

BlackDragon

HSC

i've got two more questions. firstly, (probably a yes) but does earle page have readily available ironing facilities? and also, how many freshers does earle page take in every year? and how many first years are there overall at the uni?

cheers

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Most colleges have ironing facilities in the laundries. I know Duval does and I can't think of any reason why the other colleges wouldn't.

As for the number of Freshers, first years usually make up the highest number of students followed by second and third years. Duval took 80 freshers this year of its 220 capacity. I don't know the exact stats since it varies from year to year as people leave college (whether Valedicting or levaing for a traineeeship or going overseas as a part of a degree) or join from another college. This naturally messes with the number of rooms available, so no-one would be able to give you an exact number.

lawgrad1

HSC

BlackDragon:

Earle Page has iron facilities on each floor - they are located in each floor's common room. As ObjectsInSpace indicated, it is difficult to determine how many freshers Earle Page will take this year as it is dependent on how many spare rooms there are (ie: how many residents are moving out). Generally there are approx 100 or so freshers (out of almost 300 residents).

BlackDragon

HSC

ok thanks.
how do the rooms get decided? is it just first in best dressed for all the first years except for all the rooms that are already taken by older years?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

It's usually randomly assigned. You don't get to pick your rooms until the end of the year (at least, that's the way it works at Duval). A few freshers will be lucky to get returner rooms (we had one person get a balcony room this year; but then, she was older than more than a few third years), but you generally won't be allowed to choose your rooms. That's a luxury that only the second years and above can get.

lawgrad1

HSC

Rooms are randomly assigned based on what's left but you will generally be placed near gerros (2nd yrs and above) who are doing a similar degree to you.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

lawgrad1 said:
Rooms are randomly assigned based on what's left but you will generally be placed near gerros (2nd yrs and above) who are doing a similar degree to you.
Wow, that's organised. Ours seemed to be totally random and the students who deferred a year seemed to get better rooms (two got balconies, but one was forced to move; another got a Phone Room) ... except me. It's totally random for us, but offers to new students are made before returners.

lawgrad1

HSC

That's interesting that offers to new students are made before returners. I remember at EPC that we put in our room preferences at the end of the year. In any case, at EPC there's generally a wide variety of courses being studied by the students so you should be able to find some one else doing the same course as you. I remember that when I started (WAY back in 2001) there were 3 gerros on my floor studying law.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

lawgrad1 said:
That's interesting that offers to new students are made before returners. I remember at EPC that we put in our room preferences at the end of the year. In any case, at EPC there's generally a wide variety of courses being studied by the students so you should be able to find some one else doing the same course as you. I remember that when I started (WAY back in 2001) there were 3 gerros on my floor studying law.
Well, we request rooms in Term 4 based on what we've done around college (ie, President, Vice, ex-RFs and such) over the course of a few days and re-apply to college so that they know who wants to come back and who won't be. Then they send out the offers confirming we're returning in mid-December, but it's already been mentioned in another thread that acceptance letters to Duval have already been sent out. It's not that we haven't applied, we're just waiting on confirmation.

jason120au

HSC

At Austin you don't get to decide the rooms that you have when you first apply as a first year student. However, once you have lived at the college for a few weeks you can have the option of changing to a different room on a different block. This depends on the availability of the rooms. So if you make friends with lots of people on the other side of college you can have the option of moving rooms.

You can even change rooms within your block. For example rooms next to common rooms a generally very loud and talking can continue until late in the night, so if you don't like it you can have the option of changing to a different room on your block. This also depends on availability. You need to get permission to do this from your block's resident fellow. However, usually they don't have a problem with you doing this.

Btw I'm going into my third year at Austin so I know a thing or two about college life.

kezryn

HSC

At Robb, 2nd years and above get preference over freshers. If u have lived in one room for a year u will definately get that room again even if an older person wants it! The freshers are randomly assigned to rooms. I like the system we have in place. its good!!

BlackDragon

HSC

wow i just found out that sir earle page was once a prime minister of australia.
didn't know our lovely college was named after a pm!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

No, it was named after a former Prime Minister who attended the university. If they wantonly stuck the names of Prime Ministers on colleges, who knows what we'd end up with?

But I bet Wright Village would be Harold Holt College. Why? Because you might see them once a year and then they're gone.

BlackDragon

HSC

Your post confuses me. I never said or even implied that was 'wantonly' given. Whether or not he attended une (which he evidently did), earle page was named after sir earle page, the prime minister, and that's what i was marvelling about.

Last edited:

lawgrad1

HSC

Besides being caretaker Prime Minister for a short period in 1939 following the death of Joseph Lyons, Sir Earle Page was the first Chancellor of UNE. He studied medicine at Sydney Uni.

Sir Earle Page died in 1961 and EPC (which opened in 1963) was named after him.

BTW - for those who might want to know a bit about Australian political history, Sir Earle Page held the seat of Cowper (my electorate) for 42 years.

Last edited:

adhara

HSC

lawgrad1 said:
Besides being caretaker Prime Minister for a short period in 1939 following the death of Joseph Lyons, Sir Earle Page was the first Chancellor of UNE. He studied medicine at Sydney Uni.

Sir Earle Page died in 1961 and EPC (which opened in 1963) was named after him.

BTW - for those who might want to know a bit about Australian political history, Sir Earle Page held the seat of Cowper (my electorate) for 42 years.
I found out about him because my family is related to his at one point. I think my great-grandmother was his aunt or something like that.

My dad was surprised when I applied for Earle Page College as he recognised the name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)