UNE Questions (1 Viewer)

Asuka

HSC
Hi there,
I am looking at enrolling in university mid-year and was wondering if anyone could help in answering a few questions. I'm 21 and originally attended Macquarie University, mainly because of its proximity to my house (the only uni under an hour away) it proved to be a flawed logic and I don't want to make the same mistake again =/ Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering what sort of of town atmosphere Armidale had and what sort of social and on campus events there were, I spent a bit of time in rural Victoria and I enjoyed the more relaxed environment but at times it could be a little bland.. I was wondering with the large uni presence what sort of affect this had on things?

Can you get on-campus accomodation if you enrol mid-year?

Some of the colleges bio's seemed a bit similar does anyone have a bit more "hands on" info on the colleges and their differences?

I had a look on the UNE site and it didn't seem to list the price of on campus accomodation, I imagine it differs from college to college, and I should probably call up, but I was just after a sort of ball park figure if anyone has any ideas?

I was wondering if the on campus accomodation had internet access and is so what would the cost/speed be? I do a bit of maintainance on some websites so this would be kind of helpful.

Sorry, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more questions but I've already rewritten this once because I'm tired and Internet Explorer hates me, but if you could help with the above I would be in your debt,

Cheers,
Asuka

lawgrad1

HSC
Well, I finished at UNE last year, but I did pop back up there for my grad recently so I'll also take a shot at answering your question.

As Argonaut mentioned, Armidale relies alot on the uni to survive. There's heaps of events organised by the uni (in particular) and in town. For example, there's sporting events each week, cultural stuff and social nights on regularly. Uni students can often be found at the 'stro 'up top' but when exams start rolling around, they do tend to study.

You can generally get on-campus accomodation if you enrol mid-year (although places are always limited so it's best to get in early). I stayed at Earle Page College during my time at UNE and I really had a great time there. Earle Page is one of the larger colleges with around 290 residents. They have quite a few formal dinners (ie: Introductory Dinner, Politics Dinner (some past speakers at this dinner include: Phillip Ruddock & Alexander Downer), Sports Dinner, Arts Dinner, Parents Weekend Dinner). Earle Page is pretty involved in the MB, PT and Sir Frank Kitto competitions and there's also a theatrical production organised by the students each year (last year was West Side Story). The Junior Common Room Committee also organises a bunch of activities throughout the year (ie: there's block functions such as 'Back to School' and '80s'. Each of the floors at Earle Page will also organise their own functions.

I think most college fees are the same, but you'll be looking at something like $7000-$7500 to stay at college for a year. You can get internet access in your room (will often have to pay a fee of about $100) or you can use the college computers. Argonaut mentioned the download limit (which tends to increase each year - when I started at UNE, we only got 200mb usage for a whole year!).

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. There's a bunch of UNE students around here .....

lawgrad1

HSC
Argonaut said:
They're just awful quiet, that's all.
Yeah, I've noticed that abit .....

Anyway, I don't mind helping out people with their questions about UNE :).

Asuka

HSC
Thanks very much for your help, greatly appreciated. The only other uni I'm seriously considering is Canberra, I like the sound of UNE better but I have friends in Canberra and its alot closer to home =/ Ah decisions hehe.

lawgrad1

HSC
No problem Asuka.

I don't really know much about Canberra Uni. I've heard it's ok but I suppose it depends on what you want to study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)