Uni courses :o (1 Viewer)

mexiican

HSC
-.- OKAY so i need help deciding if i should or should not do Medicine. What i was planning was to do Medical Science and then transfer after a year into medicine or finish my degree for medical then do medicine. Thing is i heard you need a good GAMSAT mark along as good uni marks. Is that the only way? Cause I'm kinda freaked what if i dont do good in GAMSAT and cant get into medicine. I dont want a degree for medical studies -.- and i cant really see myself doing anything other than medicine so yeah i really need advice. AND i wouldnt mind doing post grad dentistry course either however medicine is my first preference :)

Thankyou awesome people!:rolleyes2:

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I once was in your shoes. I could've done medical science adv, science adv or pharmacy @ USYD and hoped to transfer. But I wasn't willing to take the risk as it was too great.
So I did Business (something I never did in high school) and IT (something I liked and did well in high school)... ended up with a GPA of 6 for sem 1. I'll be aiming to transfer medicine, if not.. m happy with my backup :)
Go with your heart. If you believe that you stand a chance through something more relevant, then go ahead and do medical science.. If you're aiming Gamsat... then science related degrees are the way to go. However, for transfer; it really doesn't matter as long as you have a reasonable gpa. I went with the harder option and did something irrelevant to the medical field.. and my medical science buddies (claiming to be doing an easier degree) are impressed with my gpa which is higher than theirs. Not knowing that I did all nighters before the exam lol. I was always a science person just like you, coming 1st in Biology and 4th in Chemistry at my school... and also came 1st in both IPT and IT. So if you think that the medical science option is too risky, find something else that you can excel at (for me it was IT).
So really think this hard. What will happen if you cannot tranfer or do not get into medicine through the adv science/medical science pathway? Will you lose hope and courage? OR Try something different that you're good at and something that serves as a great backup and still aim for medicine. If you fail to transfer, the worst that will happen is you graduating with a useful degree, unlike pharmacy/medical science/science adv... where the market is super saturated by Medicine hopefuls who most of em once aspired to do medicine/dentistry. My cousin graduated with medical science degree with a D average and she is jobless. There are a lot of pathways and options... doing a science related degree is advantageous and prepares you for Gamsat and also lowers the Umat and GPA requirement for some uni's; but is it a risk that you're willing to take? The UWS scheme only accepts 6 students under their medical science adv/science adv program (6 students from 3-4 campuses... not from each campus). The competition is insanely tough. Choose wisely my friend.

Californication

HSC
By the sounds of it you don't want to be stuck with a degree with minimal career opportunities. If that is the case, would you ever consider doing a Health Science degree, maybe something like Physiotherapy or Podiatry?

mexiican

HSC
I think i can excel at medical science. My brothers friend does the same course i want to and he was telling me what it consisted of. To me it didnt sound that bad as i LOVE anything anatomy/body related.

Also if i did do Gamsat what would i need to get in order to get considered for medicine? and for UMAT what should i be aiming to get?

I got my UAC book and it said as career opp. that if i did medical science i can do neuroscience? what is that and does it have good pay?

Lastly if i do my UMAT whilst im doing my degree for Medical Science and get say a good percentile i.e. 80 would it still be valid until after i finished my course? cause i dont think you can do undergrad medicine at USYD

P.S. How many postgrads do USYD/UWS/UNSW accept if i want to do medicine? :)

#FREAKING OUT D:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
cause i dont think you can do undergrad medicine at USYD
You can, it might be combined though. Can't remember, 99.95 cut off with no UMAT. Afaik you have to do the UMAT again each year you want to apply for a course with it.

mexiican

HSC
i wouldnt mind being a paediatrician either but i think you need to do medicine for that? :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)