Uni Entry System about to Collapse (SMH) - (re: UNSW) (1 Viewer)

Mumma

HSC
Failing 2U maths means you're a dumbshit because its a piss-easy course. Not only does it doom you to failure in commerce, but life too.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Mumma said:
Failing 2U maths means you're a dumbshit because its a piss-easy course. Not only does it doom you to failure in commerce, but life too.
Harder than general, however.

mimiian

HSC
Mumma said:
haha, how politically incorrect, tell that to Shakespeare or Winston Churchill.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
mimiian said:
If UNSW seriously think ppl who fail 2u maths or English should not be doing commerce, then they should explicitly state that good marks in these subjects are prerequisites.

Furthermore, failing 2u maths doesn't mean one is doomed to fail in Commerce, majors such as economics or management or marketing require less numerical skills.

The fact that everyone takes English as a subject does not automatically qualifies that there is no problem using that as a standard. People who do not excel in English are not necessarily bad Commerce students, there are friends of mine who did ESL english or standard english for HSC but still manage to achieve high marks for commerce subjects in uni. The link between Commerce and English is not as apparent as the link between Law or Literature and English.

I just think UNSW should not suddenly decided to use its own system and selection criterion without give an obvious warning to the students. Some students may be really eager to study commerce and aced in all the business study and economics for HSC, but did not put as much effort in English or maths, so maybe a warning would be helpful to them.
Once again, for the people who cannot read: the university is only looking at subject results for English and maths if you do not meet the cut-off requirement. It is not a general filter. Anyone who actually makes the cut-off requirement will get in.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Apparently there's someone out there who got a UAI fo 86, does only 3u Maths (Band E3) and his advance english mark was B4... and he made it to commerce at UNSW...

Damit, and my dad HAD to tell me to take com-unsw off my preferences. I'm gonna try for the late rounds. DOOWAH!

-P_D

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
politik said:
No, it is the general cutoff.

It happens every year.

This is just another case of sensationalist reporting. LOLZ, RICH PPLZ ARE PAYING FOR DER DEGREEZ! ANARCHY!
Yeh, "anarchy" could be worse one day. This system only benefits THE RICH

The University of Technology, Sydney, is taking students who scored up to 15 points below the UAI cut-off of 85 for its engineering course if they score highly in a questionnaire testing their motivation and professional suitability.
...AND THE HOPELESS (i.e UAI<85)

vnblueberry

HSC
uhh i got a friend that got
86 in english, 91 for 2 unit maths and 44/50 for ext 1 maths
and did NOT make it into commerce @ unsw?
do you guys think he has a strong case?
his other subjects were modern history 41/50 and japanese (band 6, forgot the mark) and chemistry 86 ..

now .. he beat me in all the subjects that i did with him (english, maths 2unit, maths ext 1, chem)..
yet i got in and he didnt .. to complain?! :sleep:

by the way
his uai was 95.05 .. missed off by 0.05 .. but still, his marks are so much better than mine
troll account or not, this is a good school mate and i know its not BS
is there anything to do?

Last edited:

stephenchow

HSC
In theory, these people who claim that they have met the requirements for Commerce i.e the UAI perhaps did not put Commerce at UNSW higher in their preference list.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Ugh, terrible sensationalist doomsday reporting from SMH, I expected better (that's why I paid my subscription).

mimiian

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Once again, for the people who cannot read: the university is only looking at subject results for English and maths if you do not meet the cut-off requirement. It is not a general filter. Anyone who actually makes the cut-off requirement will get in.
Once again, for the people who cannot read: English and maths results are not good indicators to show whether a person is suitable for commerce or not. If UNSW accept ppl with UAI below its official cutoff purely on the basis of English and maths result, then perhaps it should lower its UAI and find a better way to beat USyd, or perhaps the nerds at UNSW can communciate with HSC students and tell them their selection criterion BEFORE the release date.

Last edited:

tsukino10shi

HSC
N/A
vnblueberry said:
uhh i got a friend that got
86 in english, 91 for 2 unit maths and 44/50 for ext 1 maths
and did NOT make it into commerce @ unsw?
do you guys think he has a strong case?
his other subjects were modern history 41/50 and japanese (band 6, forgot the mark) and chemistry 86 ..

now .. he beat me in all the subjects that i did with him (english, maths 2unit, maths ext 1, chem)..
yet i got in and he didnt .. to complain?! :sleep:

by the way
his uai was 95.05 .. missed off by 0.05 .. but still, his marks are so much better than mine
troll account or not, this is a good school mate and i know its not BS
is there anything to do?
um, modern history is not out of 50, and also, if he had gotten the marks you claim, his UAI would be around 98.xx

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I haven't read into this much yet, so I have a question.

MoonlightSonata said:
But does the university only look at these once all the places are taken by people above the cutoff? If so, does that meant they set the cutoff with the intention to leave a gap for people with these other selection criteria?

Smeed

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
You don't seem to understand that the cut-off is not a legitimate cut-off as defined by UAC:

UAC Guide 2007 said:
The cut-offs indicate the lowest UAI accepted for entry into the course - they do not represent the average ability of the students accepted for the course.
This means that while the cut-off may represent the UAI necessary for guaranteed entry into the course, the actual cut-off is arbitrary in nature as people with significantly lower UAIs have been admitted entry. If a legitimate cut-off had been used, it probably would have been around 93 like last year, so the people who got between 93 and 95.1 missed entry into the course.

Also, I think the problem that most people have is not that this 'flexible-entry' scheme was implemented, but rather that it was implemented with absolutely no prior warning, meaning that many people who may have desired entry into commerce with UAIs below the published 'cut-off' were not aware of the fact that performance in particular subject would assist them in receiving an offer.

For those people stating that the UAC guide gives warning by stating that "Performance in selected subjects - limited courses only" can be a determining factor, they should also have noted that right under this it states that these "limited courses" will detail information regarding such schemes in their relevant sections. However nowhere in the "Commerce and Economics" section is there any mention of any special entry scheme, while for other courses such as Engineering, details of any flexible entry schemes are clearly boxed and highlighted.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Actually Maths and English are the only two pre-requisites that are theoritically needed in order to understand what is being taught in commerce at unsw.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Dear god, are the yr 12 grads this year stupid or what?

Awful article.

Conspirocy

HSC
dan_viper88 said:
I believe this system is so unfare and overated, when other people that i know who had UAI'S of 89-92 last year had to do a B Economics and they couldnt get in to B Commerce and the UAI was around 93.00 in 2006!
Man, I missed out when the cutoff was 95. I just transfered the next year, it's not a big deal. I could have studied at Usyd, UTS or Macquarie. Of the people that 'missed out', if it was close they can go to USYD, if it was a bit off they can go to UTS, and if it was further they can go to Macquarie. Or they can do a B Ec and transfer. I did a B Ec for a year and changed to a B Com. It is seriously not a big deal.

It was mentioned in the UAC booklet, whether students read it or not is not important. It's not the uni's job to say hey look we consider certain subjects to get into commerce and point it out to every student. They placed it in the booklet, thats that.

Are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that if you knew 100% that UNSW considers maths for entry, your marks would have improved, or for english? I don't think so.

As for the people who took standard english - your school probably wouldnt have let you take advanced anyway.

And all those people harping on about 4 unit maths, it looks to me like they have looked at 2 and 3 unit people. Again, your going to go from no maths to 4 units, or even 3. Wake up to yourself.

Conspirocy

HSC
mimiian said:
Once again, for the people who cannot read: English and maths results are not good indicators to show whether a person is suitable for commerce or not. If UNSW accept ppl with UAI below its official cutoff purely on the basis of English and maths result, then perhaps it should lower its UAI and find a better way to beat USyd, or perhaps the nerds at UNSW can communciate with HSC students and tell them their selection criterion BEFORE the release date.
Sorry thats the dumbest thing I have heard. English and maths are like the building blocks of commerce in Australia. If it was Germany we would have German and maths.

Anyway, another point. UAI is a complete waste of time. Complete idiots get into courses with high uais. How does a uai measure suitability for a course??? Its effectively scaling subjects according to how a) you perform in that subject b) for people taking that subject, how they perform in their other subjects, and what those subjects are. Eg. Economics is a high scaling subject, as is phsycis because a large quantity of able students take the subject. anyway back to topic, how does a uai of of 99.7 with ESL 4 unit maths, physics, and chemistry mean you are suitable for com/law at usyd.

How does a uai of 97 with fuck i dont know pdhpe, biology, design and technology, modern history, advanced english prepare you for commerce at unsw?

why the fuck do you have a commerce course at every university, where there is a compulsorary economics subject in 1st year and yet HSC economics is not a prereq? It's stupid. Seriously, half the course hasnt even studied economics.

How can you accept people with an inflated UAI when they didnt attempt any maths??? Especially when you have a calc and a stats course as core and all the unis.

I know people are going to say something like. We'll just cause we didn't do it doesn't mean we can't. Especially RE maths. Sure thats true. But say back in year 10, they did tell you that to study commerce at uni economics, maths 2 unit, andvanced english, and business studies are all pre reqs. How many people would actually stick with that. you get what to choose one subject.

in my mind half the people who are complaining now would have gone an entirely different direction had they really known.

The uni's should have seperate applications and make their own decisions on who they accept based on their own criteria. If you don't like what unsw, tough luck. what are you going to do?? oh whats that...nothing

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Conspirocy said:
How does a uai of 97 with fuck i dont know pdhpe, biology, design and technology, modern history, advanced english prepare you for commerce at unsw?
I dont think many people who choose those subjects have com in mind.,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)