• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Uni living arrangements (1 Viewer)

s2ophie

HSC
I don't know if this has done been done before and even if it has i can't be bothered looking but of the people here who at uni this year, where are you living? On college, in a flat, at home with your parents?

And for next years uni students, where are you planning to live? I am hoping to be at a college but i'm not sure which one yet!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
it depends which uni i get into..if i get into newcastle it will be at home with my parents, but if i get into another i hope it will be a college for first year then prob move out with friends in 2nd year...if all goes to plan..;)

steven_tiger

im going to canberra and my parents are buying a flat our a hour as an investment and im living there with my girlfriend and someone else.... dunno who yet though.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I still live at home. I have to waste 4 hours a day travelling, but I can't afford to move out of home. I'd absolutely love to live on campus, but alas...:(

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
..On Campus, if I go to CSU. My mum or maybe move in with my sister, if I go to UTS.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
whats the predicted budget for ALL YOU living out? including transportation, food, entertainment costs for Friday and Saturday nights?

I just wanna get a rough idea, to see if im over predicting thanks

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
whats the predicted budget for ALL YOU living out? including transportation, food, entertainment costs for Friday and Saturday nights?

I just wanna get a rough idea, to see if im over predicting thanks
I have no bloody idea. hopefully i willbe on campus which will bring down travel costs but then travellling home will be exspensive ($90 on the train) I just hope my parents will give me money! I have a fair bit saed but i don't want to spend it straight away!

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
my predicted EXPENSE is $260/week living out of campus, on campus is really expensive, i rather try get a house near the Uni with good transportation, living on campus is something like $200/week which is very expensive, when you can live out at around $130/week + expenses

do you know the award wage for 18 year olds, is it $10/hour my friends are getting that amount, but im not really sure? AND do you think working 15hrs/week with full time study is toooooooo much?

Last edited:

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by Bimbo
you can check out all the award wage info on the DIR site, www.dir.nsw.gov.au
it has info on minimum wages etc
OMG!!!!!! NOT AGAIN?

DAMN, your soooo KNOWLEDGEABLE... hmmm or should i say "street smart" wow... you know everything about life

:rolleyes:

Bimbo

Southern Girl
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
OMG!!!!!! NOT AGAIN?

DAMN, your soooo KNOWLEDGEABLE... hmmm or should i say "street smart" wow... you know everything about life

:rolleyes:
I've been out of home since i was 14, what do you expect :D

Bimbo

Southern Girl
i think what he means is that in order to be considered independent by the government and receive benefits such as Youth Allowance, in the previous year you must have earned at least $15k. I'm not sure of the exact figure, i know it's around the $15k mark though. Look up Youth Allowance on the centrelink site, it should have a section on being considered independent.

Kittycat

HSC
Hmmm....if I was to make it in to Newcastle uni...where should I accomadate? On-campus or off? And if off...where is the best and cheapest one? I am just wondering

mullet

I live with my mummy and daddy. :)

It's a 25 minute drive for me everyday.

Last edited:

Tocatina

I will live at home cause Uni is only 15 minutes drive away. Unless I argue to much with my folks, I will probably live at home for entire course, then move out once I graduate and start working.

mcmurphy

in order to be considered independent for youth allowance purposes, you have to have earned at least $15,990 within an 18 month period since leaving school.

You have to wait until 18 months has passed since the very last HSC exam before you can claim it, but there is no minimum amount of time you must have worked.

i.e. you can leave school in November, work your arse off for 6 months and earn $15,990, but you still can't claim youth allowance until May the next year.

with youth allowance, you can get up to $204.20 per fortnight if you live with your parents, or around $300 a fortnight if you live on your own. you can also claim rent assistance if you live on your own. sounds like a plan.

mcmurphy

i finished in '02 and i'm doing that too. i'm doing a traineeship though, so i earn shit all. damn it i gotta work for aaaaaaaages to earn $15990.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
That whole Youth Allowance thing -- If you live more than 90 minutes away from Uni (one way) then they give you Away from Home allowance as well; I'm getting it next year ;) as well as rent assistance

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Kittycat
Hmmm....if I was to make it in to Newcastle uni...where should I accomadate? On-campus or off? And if off...where is the best and cheapest one? I am just wondering
i take it your not from this area? well let me see...
i dont think theres any on-campus accomodation..or if there is it is really hard to get ahold of.
off campus..do you mean in a flat or something? well newcastle accomodation (and various other living expenses) is really cheap compared with sydney (im presuming thats where your from). the suburbs around the uni (such as warrabrook, wickham etc) are fairly cheap and really close to town..or you could go out a bit further, to places like adamstown and hamilton and its also fairly cheap and a bit quieter..but then you have greater travelling expenses.
there are a few really expensive suburbs such as Merewhether and Cooks Hill, which are right on the beach, but everywhere else is pretty good..and their only a few minutes to the beach/shops/clubs etc anyway.

EDIT: whoops, i just read under your name you're from sydney ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)