Uni mathematics (2 Viewers)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Comparing General Maths with Uni mathematics is like comparing HSC physics with Uni Physics. Unfair comparison.

Besides I'd choose General Maths over Uni maths anyday
Sadly this is the case.
I'm sure my topic on introductory probability and statistics I will learn in a week or two will extend far beyond general maths.

The HSC syllabus in terms of content isn't too consistent despite many changes.

Rock On

Affinity

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Did you do general maths? If not then you stfu. I did the majority of 2U maths (i.e. all of prelim and over half the HSC for the 2U course) dropped down to general for the other half of the HSC course (which I had to catch up on all the work) and I'm telling you now - I am finding general compared to 2U more usual for stats.

Yeah because learning statistics in high school will anyway work against you when doing statistics at uni.

NEWSFLASH: I didn't have to "unlearn" what I learned back in general - basic probability, the empirical rule, normal distribution have all been pretty much the same as the stats I'm learning now. Besides who is the statistician who said that? Did they do HSC general? That may be the case for the HS that they went to but it may not be the HS's in NSW. And even though that may be the case (which I'm not saying that it is) it isnt that hard to "unlearn" something.

Note: I am not saying that general gives you a complete advantage, I am just saying that it is more useful than what they teach in 2U for 1st year stats.

I am telling you through first hand experience!

Look you guys can think whatever you want. I'm just sick of having to repeat myself. Like I said several times from my experience, general maths has only worked in my best interests. Its like learning accounting back in high school. So let me ask you: what is his reasoning behind this logic? If the answer is that they teach the methods wrongly my response would be
Surely you have learnt that your personal experience is not a big enough sample from which to draw reliable conclusions.

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
Surely you have learnt that your personal experience is not a big enough sample from which to draw reliable conclusions.
I sense stats lurking in the background of even that comment!

lol

If she did draw on a sample size, say where n>30 do you think that the mean result would begin to tend towards a result representative of the population mean and we could use the 't table' (since we would of only began with sample standard deviations) to infer a 95 % confidence interval at the population level?

Last edited:

erm

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
How about get into uni before you speak.
only if you quit trying to lengthen your e-penis by showing off with math.

Edit: I see you've wisely removed it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)